Start by marking “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 2

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 2

(The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen #2)

Written by Alan Moore; Art and cover by Kevin O'Neill.

It's one month after the events in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 1, and the skies over England are filled with flaming rockets as Mars launches the first salvo of an invasion. Only our stalwart adventurers Allan Quatermain, Mina Harker, Captain Nemo, Hawley Griffin, and Mr. Edward Hyde can save mother England
Published September 1st 2004 by WildStorm (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 2

Anne
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
It was entertaining in its own way, but not really my taste.
(view spoiler)
Brad
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I don't know why, but I don't much care to write a review, yet I feel compelled to do so. And because of that you get point form adapted from a discussion I've been having about the comic while reading it.

•One of my favourite parts of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 2 are Kevin O'Neill's pencils. The way he exaggerates features through understatement is difficult to describe, but there is a sort of Victorian reality that he captures that is really effective. Another cool bit of pencilling
Daniel
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ovog puta za osnovu imamo Rat Svetova i moram da kazem odlicno je ukomponovano. Prica je zabavna i brza, likovi se fino dalje razvijaju a kraj je takav da se ne zna kako bi ovo moglo dalje.

Jedini minus je sto se likovi suvise brzo razvijaju i ne bi bilo lose da su sve ovo razvukli na bar jos jedan volume.

U svakom slucaju odlican nastavak.
Oscar
‘La Liga de los Caballeros Extraordinarios, Volumen 2’ (The League of the Extraordinary Gentleman, Vol. 2 #1-6, 2002), de Alan Moore y Kevin O’Neill’, continúa donde se quedó el primer volumen, es decir, con un extraño objeto en forma de bala cayendo desde el espacio. Como era de prever, la Tierra, en concreto Inglaterra, está siendo invadida por Marte y sus artilugios de tres patas. De nuevo, el variopinto grupo comandado por Mina Murray, tendrá que hacer frente a la amenaza.

Aventuras, comedia,
Voss
Questa violta i nostri eroi devono difendere il mondo dai marziani di H.G: Welles.
E c'è la storia d'amore.
Riconoscere i vari protagonisti è la parte divertente di una ben triste storia con morti e variamente feriti.
Sarebbe stato un ottimo finale, ma leggo che esistono altre avventure di questi gentiluomini.
Vedremo.
Dave Maddock
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Even better story than volume one. However, Alan Moore's seeming obsession with creating ancilliary documents as companion pieces to his stories is getting a bit tiresome.

The New Traveller's Almanac included with volume two is insufferably long and tedious prose. Moore melds all manner of details from sundry novels into one universe in the context of a travelogue of weird phenomena (perhaps channeling Charles Fort if Fort had a PhD in Victorian literature), but it quickly loses all redeeming val
Pinkerton
Riecco i nostri bizzarri Gentlemen (capeggiati da una donna) vittoriani. Questa volta impegnati nella discutibilmente eroica missione che consenta di vincere ‘la guerra dei mondi’. Una bella storia vintage ed eccentrica, anche se forse talmente sopra le righe da limitare le peculiarità dei singoli freak, tranne Hyde - una spanna sopra tutti gli altri °_°
Buon volume, ahimè zavorrato da “L’Almanacco del Nuovo Viaggiatore”. Al contrario, fantastiche le ultime fittizie pagine promozionali con gioche
Jacquelyn
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: belong-to-adam
This is one of those situations where there was just more stuff I disliked than stuff I liked. I almost quit after the first few pages because I wasn't interested in the story that began there, if it was going to continue (sorry vague but trying not to be spoilery). I'm also very disappointed in Mina. She has the potential to be the most awesome character, but instead, she's a forceful if sometimes clueless leader, a victim, a sexual object, a maternal figure... Basically all the stereotypical w ...more
Rob
Nov 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SF and comic geeks
In my opinion, this is a hell of a good read.

The author took famous characters from Victorian popular literature and put them together into a 'special action group' that works for MI5 in the last decade of 19th Century England. MI5 is lead by Mycroft Holmes by the way.

The League consists of Mina Murray, Alan Quartermain, Henry Jekyll and his alter-ego, Captain Nemo and Hawley Griffin, otherwise known as the Invisible Man.

And the situation they have to deal with is the invasion of Earth by Mars.

I
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first book, but it's such a brilliant concept, one barely notices the difference.
Kienie
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
So Alan Moore hates women. I guess having read V for Vendetta and Watchmen should have made me aware of that, but call me slow.
While the story and art were as interesting as in the first book, the details were mostly gross. First of all, two whole sex scenes between Mina and Allan, which I could have tolerated if not for the mutual professions of love. Then there is an assault on Mina where she doesn't vamp out and fight back. Lastly, someone is raped to death. Oh yeah, and Martians are invading
Siobhan
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Volume one of this graphic novel left me on the fence. I wasn’t overly interested in carrying on, yet because my friend had let me borrow her omnibus I decided it couldn’t hurt. After all, it was something that could be completed in no time at all.

Truthfully, I enjoy volume two much more than I enjoyed volume one. There was more substance to it than the first book, with more happening throughout. We truly see our characters, watching them interact with each other, seeing the way they deal with a
Liz
Jan 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
What a disappointment! Nowhere near as good as the first one. Started off fantastic with the use of War of the Worlds but then it just deteriorated as it went on and the story lost all direction and focus. Biggest disappointment was seeing Mina reduced from the strong independent character she was in the first volume to the sex object she became in this one.
William Thomas
When I was sixteen, I was at a comic book convention in Chicago, waiting in line for the guest of honor's autograph- Frank Miller. Alongside him were others like garth Ennis and Alex Ross who were doing signings as well. For some reason or other they brought up Alan Moore and joked about how he was most likely sitting in a closet with a candle and a typewriter in a castle somewhere in England. Having only seen one picture of Moore at the time, used over and over again for all of his works and in ...more
Ma'Belle
Dec 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Reviewing any of the three volumes in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series is a difficult task. Without reading the edited annotations of Jess Nevins, the story seems somewhat shallow and bland. However, the annotations of various librarians and connoisseurs of Victorian-era literature add so much insight into almost every panel that it can become overwhelming and the story itself can get lost in the backdrop.

Another reviewer on goodreads has said half of the genius in LoEG is i
Simon
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Jenny
Jul 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Malapata
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Va de más a menos. El comienzo es estupendo, en especial en el apartado gráfico, pero conforme avanza la historia va perdiendo fuerza y las escenas pierden espectacularidad.
No quiero decir nada de la trama por no entrar en spoilers, pero no me gusta la falta de protagonismo de Nemo; el papel preponderante de Jeckill/Hyde no está mal, pero no me convencen sus motivaciones, y Mina y Quatermain están que ni chicha ni limoná.
Jalen NeSmith
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I appreciate the illustrations, the homage to classic fiction, and Alan Moore's talent for kickass scenes. It's too bad Alan Moore has never met a woman in his life, because the women he writes are laughably unreal. In this one, anyway.
Amanda
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
My review for volume one is parallel to this volume.
I will just add this tidbit:
I thoroughly enjoyed the narrative blurbs at the end of each issue. It reminded me of Adam West's Batman; "Will Batman and the Boy Wonder meet their ultimate end? Tune in next week. Same bat-time, same bat-channel!"
Timothy Boyd
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good follow on story. The characters get more intense. Very recommended
Morgan
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Morgan by: Samuel
I liked this one better then the first because I was a easier to follow and the fact in had H. G. Well references.
Leila Anani
1898 - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Alan Quartermain, Mina Murray, Captain Nemo, The Invisible Man and Hyde) have to deal with the Martian Invasion of War of the Worlds.

Now I adored the first LXG but this 2nd volume because it's source material is so close to my heart is just a dream come true. For the Martian side of things we reference Wells War of the Worlds but mix in Martian politics from ERB's John Carter and Gullivar of Mars - big squeee here over how seamlessly this is woven to
Arnab Ghosh
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it more than the first part. My complains of it are the same as part one. But I did feel that this story was more enjoyable. Looking forward to the other volumes.
Rob Ryan
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first!
Noah Appelbaum
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
There was some super problematic shit in this book and a couple full pages worth of totally skippable dreck, but overall this made good on a lot of the themes and stories that seemed to be often ineptly treading the surface in the first volume. If you read the first one and you wanted it to be better (not, like, a LOT better, but to be what it could be), then you should read this one. This is the story; the first one is the set-up.
Giacomo Boccardo
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proseguono le vicende della "Lega degli straordinari gentlemen", che si trovano a dover affrontare un pericolo che chiunque abbia un minimo di cultura letteraria e/o cinematografica assocerà facilmente a un capolavoro di H. G. Wells, "La guerra dei mondi", e che verrà scongiurato grazie ad un geniale gioco meta-letterario che si rifà ad un altro noto romanzo del suddetto autore, "L'isola del dottor Moreau".

Credevo di leggere una graphic novel e così è stato finché non sono terminate le vignette
Nicole
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars... there were aspects of this volume that I liked and there were aspects I didn't like. It did take me a bit to get into the story. I keep expecting it to be like the movie, but it's not.
Amber Tucker
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Moore devotees, people who like graphic sex
This graphic novel makes for a great little trip, with touch-down in several literary worlds within a single night. That's all I needed to finish the actually graphic part – don't be fooled by my start-finish dates; that's how long I spent coaxing myself to read the "Traveller's Almanac" at the end. Kept falling asleep, and at last I gave up, 'cause there's just no point in denial: I read only for the pictures. Still, there's something in these pictures for everyone. Sci-fi tones, explosions, ta ...more
Daniel Watkins
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
An interesting story that tries really hard to be edgy.
Goodreads Librari...: Missing 'T' at beginning of title 3 211 Nov 08, 2018 07:43AM

• Transmetropolitan, Vol. 10: One More Time
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm
  • Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, #1)
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 3: Entropy in the U.K.
  • Grandville Mon Amour (Grandville #2)
  • Sin City, Vol. 3: The Big Fat Kill (Sin City, #3)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 6: Power Down (Ex Machina, #6)
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (5 books)
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1