Start by marking “The Punisher MAX, Vol. 2: Kitchen Irish” as Want to Read:
The Punisher MAX, Vol. 2: Kitchen Irish

The Punisher MAX, Vol. 2: Kitchen Irish (The Punisher, Volume VI: MAX #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,532 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
When a bomb explodes in a Hell's Kitchen pub, Frank Castle embarks on a deadly mission that pits him against two rival gangs. One thing is certain: The Punisher won't be pulling his punches! Collects Punisher MAX #7-12.
Published December 7th 2005 by Marvel (first published December 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Punisher MAX, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Punisher MAX, Vol. 2

Stephen
Ah…crap salad! This Garth Ennis offering left my disappointment level nestled somewhere between "that's it, really?"
Photobucket

and "how could you do this to me?"

Photobucket

Ennis is among my favorite comicers and he has scripted some of the best such work I’ve ever read (the Preacher series being a prime example). The man has got skills and I don’t mean to attaint his rep with my unenthused missing-the-pointment for this particular story arc. It didn’t work for me and I didn’t particularly care for it, but it also w
Jonathan Maas
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow - good even for Garth Ennis standards. Warning though - this one is not for the faint of hear.

Tim Bradstreet's cover brings you in - Ennis and co. take you through. 5 Stars!
Steven Montano
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Frank Castle is trying to take down the Irish Mob, but he may not have to bother. Old Man Nesbitt, a cruel and uncompromising founder of The Westies, is dead, and his $10 million dollar fortune is up for grabs. After a bomb goes off in an Irish cafe and leaves a dozen people dead, The Punisher teams up with an old friend from MI6 to try and put an end to the perpetrators, only to learn that no fewer than four different groups are trying to eliminate each other in order to get at Nesbitt's money. ...more
Logan
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Not bad! So this series comes from Garth Ennis, the writer behind Preacher! So of course this book is very provocative, but not as much as Preacher. The Story is that three Irish gangs are fighting over territory, a restaurant gets blown up and that gets The Punishers attention! The book however mostly focuses on the Irish gangs and hardly focuses on Frank, which is a deduction in points. Overall this a fun read, i hope the other volumes focus more on Frank.
Octavi
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mejor que el primer volumen. Un 10.
Pierre
Better and better...
M.i.
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything works well in this book. The characters are top notch and the punisher is the right person to mete out justice.
Joe Young
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love violent vengeance-fueled justice
Recommended to Joe by: the internet
Garth Ennis - writer
Leandro Fernandez - artist

4/5 stars

A bomb explodes in a Hell's Kichen cafe that is one of the last remaining criminal hangouts for Irish gangsters who, before being muscled out by the Italian mafia, controlled all the criminal activities in the New York neighborhood. Frank Castle, AKA The Punisher, is on a stakeout in the cafe when the bomb explodes and narrowly escapes the blast. The fracas that follows is straight out of a Guy Ritchie movie as three different Irish gangs, t
Phil
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, crime
Garth Ennis's dark and gritty run on The Punisher continues with a story involving warring Irish gangs in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan (hence the "Kitchen Irish" label). The Punisher becomes involved when a bomb intended to wipe out an enemy gang detonates prematurely, killing or injuring a dozen citizens. Looking to avenge those casualties, he comes into contact with an old ally from MI-6 and a British soldier, both searching for Irish terrorists involved in the bombing.

While th
Sam Quixote
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
An old Irish mobster dies leaving behind warring Irish-related factions in New York's Hells Kitchen, a ragtag bunch of former IRA terrorists and new world gangsters, intent on tearing each other apart for unimagined riches. Caught in the crossfire is Frank Castle who gets roped in by Scotland Yard undercover ops whom he owes a favour. Let the bloodbath begin!

The book features a mainstay of Garth Ennis villains - the man with the horribly disfigured face. In Preacher it was the boy who failed to
Craig Williams
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Let me begin by saying - I fucking love the Punisher. Rather, I love Garth Ennis's version of the Punisher. Under Ennis's stead, this book has been such an incredibly fun read. Garth Ennis perfectly understands the elements that make a Punisher story awesome: slow build up to a crazy, cathartic ending, where all the bad guys are slaughtered in creative, gory ways. I still can't understand why Hollywood has been unable to make a halfway decent movie - the formula is so simple.

Anyway, this volume
Joseph
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Given away (to Craig?)

Stupid sales. I only got started on this series because it was on sale, and while I can't say that it's bad enough not to want to know where the story goes, it's also not really interesting enough to want to buy the entire series.

The opening sequence, in which Frank barely survives a bomb explosion, is the book's (and so far, the series') strongest. You get to see a side of Frank other than the indestructible scourge of the criminal underworld, and for a character who seems
Gayle Francis Moffet
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 2014, august-2014
I love a good treasure hunt, and it turns out it's loads of fun when you take a bunch of warring gangs and make them try and do it together. This arc of Punisher is basically a world build, showing the modern world Frank is clearly inhabiting. He's up against a quartet of Irish gangs in Hell's Kitchen, and it's a treasure hunt caper gone swearing and bloody. Being Ennis, he gets a Brit into the middle of things to explain some history of British and Irish relations, and it all ends up as an enga ...more
Mark Desrosiers
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The Punisher goes against several nasty Irish gangs in Hell's kitchen. One of them is led by a genuine IRA terrorist whose face was blown off, another is led by "the baddest nigger ever came outta Dublin Town", and the other two are led by ballsy women -- equivalents of Flidais and Queen Medb I'm guessing.

Sounds confusing? Yes, it is, and I didn't enjoy the presence of a dull Brit copper to help out the Punisher in his battles, especially with his occasional pronunciamento about how the genius
Arron Tierney
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Was a bit disappointed by the illustrator change from book 1 to book 2. I preferred the more gritty style of Lewis Larosa but once I'd gotten into the book I started to forget about that. As cartoony as the second book is in comparison, it doesn't spoil the story. I loved the introduction of Maginty and other irish characters, referencing the IRA and the British struggles brought it home and helped add a sense of realism to the story. I felt that it didn't delve as deep into Frank Castle's perso ...more
Joe
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read part of this story before and I dug it. A real ultra violent treat that only The weird mind of Garth Ennis could deliver. Also features that weird villain Maginty from the 2008 movie Punisher Warzone in it and much crazier than portrayed on film but isn't that always the case.This one was a very cool sinister crime drama focused around gang warfare which I found funny, offensive, and graphic which is what I've come to expect from Ennis's work. Looking forward to reading Vol 3 when I get t ...more
Steven Gaskin
Aug 08, 2010 rated it liked it
The Punisher is always a hard character for me to stick with through his trials, as he's an inherently unsympathetic character, and time spent in his company isn't usually pleasant. The first book in Ennis's run had the complexity of Frank Castle's relationship with Micro to sustain the human interest, but in this arc, Castle's surrounded by a collection of opponents so terminally abhorrent, it's hard to find a way in to this story. I've been assured that book 5 -The Slavers - is amazing, so I'm ...more
Murray
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
A decent second entry in this run of the Punisher. It deals with the struggles between three rival Irish gangs in Hell's Kitchen, with the Punisher himself almost a side character compared to these characterful gangsters.

Compared to the first volume in this series, the plot suffers from being a little predictable. The inevitable twist was not in the least bit surprising, which was a bit of a disappointment.
Travis
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good story with a fun ending that I should have seen coming but didn't. Old man Nesbit for you. The Punisher is always awesome. My favorite scene is where an entire group of thugs who out number Frank 20 to 1 and their leader tells them to run away because it's the F**n punisher. That's notoriety for you, and it's awesome.
CJ Louis
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is amazingly written and drawn, the story is well thought out and put together. I really respect that the story follows a timeline and does not change to allow things in. Once I picked the first issue up I could not put it back down, I had to keep reading. This was time well spent and I recommend this series to all comic book fans and non fans.
arjuna
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh, I like this very much. Factional violence, jaded criminals, McGinty, torture, mayhem, politics, greed, bombs, and Frank Castle kicking arse because that's what he does. Ennis and Fernandez are a great team (even if Frank is essentially drawn as a mountain-of-muscle at times), and Dean White on colours gives it real clout. MORE PLEASE :)
Rafael Ribeiro
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
IRA, gang feuds, pirates, Hell's Kitchen, Frank Castle, and, of course, a lot of bloody violence! What is there not to like? Well, besides the fact that one can pretty much predict the ending once they learn a bit more about the treasure hunt, nothing. A very enjoyable read, perhaps it deserved a better rating, but, given all the awesome elements, I just expected much more from it.
Elçin
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ya kitabın ismi Punisher ama bu İrlanda Mutfağı'nda Punisher dışında herkesi okuduk denebilir. Yine de olay örgüsü güzeldi, özellikle sonunda müthiş ve bir o kadar da haince bir kahkaha attım. Okurken eğlendim, aynı bir aksiyon filmi niteliğindeydi.
Andrew Lovell
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This volume took away Frank's normalcy and turned him into a impenetrable superhero instead of what he really is... an outraged demonized human full of vengeance....your next door neighbor. Good but not what i was hoping for.
M
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Franks targets a segment of the Irish mob in Hell's Kitchen for the second volume of his Max series. As an old mobster reaches the end of the line, rival factions look to take over his vacuum - only to draw the Punisher into the line of fire.
Will
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Warring Irish factions can't set their differences aside long enough to take care of the Punisher. Coincidentally, this doesn't bother him in the slightest as it makes his job easier. Enjoy the carnage.
Sadeea
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aby
Shelves: graphic-novels
As a distant fan of The Punisher, I give Volume 2 of the MAX series an A+. The amazing graphics, classic Punisher dialouge combined with his sheer range makes this a "must read" by all graphic novel fans.
Rick Peterson
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The story doesn`t pull any punches.It`s gritty and relevant to todays` world. Very well done, As with all his graphic novels. ...more
Michael
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Volume two is good, not a lot of Frank, but has an interesting Irish mob narrative.
Tim
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Garth Ennis is the type of writer the Punisher truly deserves.
  • PunisherMAX, Vol. 1: Kingpin
  • The Punisher: Circle of Blood
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low
  • Daredevil, Volume 15: The Devil, Inside and Out, Volume 2
  • Crying Freeman, Vol. 4
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...

The Punisher, Volume VI: MAX (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 1: In the Beginning