Start by marking “Things We Didn't Say” as Want to Read:
Things We Didn't Say

Things We Didn't Say

What goes unsaid can sometimes speak the loudest . . .

What makes up a family? For Casey it's sharing a house with her fiancE, Michael, and his three children, whom she intends to nurture more than she ever took care of herself. But Casey's plans have come undone. Michael's silences have grown unfathomable and deep. His daughter Angel seethes as only a teenage girl can,

Published June 28th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Things We Didn't Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things We Didn't Say

Start your review of Things We Didn't Say
Alisha Marie
Things We Didn't Say has to be one of the most infuriating novels I've ever read. I wanted to slam this book against the wall repeatedly. Why? Because the characters themselves are infuriating. Seriously, EVERY SINGLE character in this book was an idiot. Not only that, but there were also so many other infuriating things. I was groaning to myself repeatedly thinking "Bitch!" and "Moron!" and "Asshole!" I wanted to tell all of them to open their eyes, get a life, and stop freakin' complaining. ...more
Kelly
Dear Future Stepmothers,

It's tough, I know. I bet you've been scouring the internet, posting questions to Yahoo! Answers, and devouring how-to books. Believe me, I get it. I bet you even picked this book up, considered buying it because it deals with a lot of the subject matter you fear may be coming. Do yourself a favor...run! Run from this book like it was O.J. Simpson asking you out after a 10 year prison stint. Don't look back, don't check your emotional barometer to see if you're
Emily
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Holy dysfunctional family, batman! This was an easy read, but difficult in the sense that I could not relate to a single one of the characters -- except maybe the teenage daughter, Angel. I was that teenager once, unhappy with a new, young step-mother whom I didn't see eye to eye with on anything. I was definitely a b*tch at times at that age, just like Angel. But as for the rest, they were all pretty damaged and hard to like. Overall it was an okay read but not my favorite.
N.N. Light
It was a good read until the ending. Ugh. I hated the ending.

My Rating: 3 stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N
Laurel-Rain
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In her novel Things We Didn’t Say, the acclaimed author of Real Life & Liars and The Life You’ve Imagined (an Indie Next Notable Book) explores the messiness of life’s love stories, especially those involving teenage almost-stepchildren, a unreliable ex-wife, and the words no parent ever wants to hear: “Your child is missing.” A poignant, honest, and unforgettable novel that fans of Katrina Kittle and Elin Hildebrand will take into their hearts, Things We Didn’t Say is exactly the sort of ...more
Stephanie
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
26 year old Casey comes with a past that her 36 year old fiance, Michael, knows nothing about. She recently moved in with him and his three children, and now they’re falling apart at the seams. His teenage daughter, Angel, appears to loathe Casey, and eight year old Jewel watches as the silence and tension in the house deepens every day.

Then, Michael’s 14 year old son, Dylan, runs away, and things come to a head. Michael’s very mentally ill and former alcoholic ex-wife, Mallory, rushes to the
Alyssa
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Things We Didn't Say is a novel by Kristina Riggle about a modern-day blended family of Michael, his girlfriend, Casey, Michael's 3 kids from a previous marriage, and his psycho drunken/pill feen ex-wife. I forgot her name so I'm not even going to put the effort into going and getting the book off my nightstand, because she's not worth it. The novel opens with Casey getting ready to say peace out to Michael and all of his baggage and the stress, until the ever-so-ironically-placed phone call ...more
Leah
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
read this last night in one sitting, i enjoyed it and it was a quick read. lots of short chapters with alternating narrators but a lot like a tv movie!! still say goodreads needs to improve its rating system. i need one set of stars for "enjoyed reading it" and one for "quality of writing".
Pam
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it

Step parenting isn’t easy under the most congenial terms, Casey knows that. The problem is, things are rarely congenial. As she grows in her relationship with her fiancé and his three children, Casey is thrown into a whirlwind of emotion involving teenagers and a very “dynamic” ex-wife.

In the middle of making sense of chaos and sorting out her own jumbled past, Casey is thrown another curve ball in the form of her fiancé’s second child and only son turning
Jillian Wolf
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Some people lead lives full of problems. In Things We Didn’t Say by Kristina Riggle, 26-year-old Casey has a mess of them. She’s engaged to Michael, a man 10-years her senior, who has three children with an ex-wife who is a non-recovering alcoholic with multiple mental disorders. Casey’s secrets come back to haunt her when Michael’s middle child, Dylan, disappears after being dropped off at school one day and his oldest child, Angel, finds Casey’s journal and reads it.

It’s infrequent that there
Cindy
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Things We Didn't Say is by far my favorite Riggle novel. The story is told from different POV's and definitely works in portraying a messy family situation. There is a totally screwed up and pathetic ex wife, a husband who doesn't know which end is up in trying to keep his family stable, a younger woman trying to deal with a family she loves, and of course the kids who are caught in the middle. I thought this book was well-written as I was drawn into the lives of all the characters.
Dianna
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Things We Didn't Say was a wonderful tale of how silence also has an impact on people's lives. And fear a big motivator - fear of disappointment, fear of loss, fear of nonacceptance, fear of love. These fears, real or imagined, lead us to the choices we make. Kristina Riggle develops these characters so well, the reader gets emotionally involved ( like wanting to throttle the ex!).

This was a well written story and would like to see a sequel. I give it 4.5 stars.
Brandy King
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Not my usual style, but I can't remember the last time I yelled at a book. Read it in 4 hours because I couldn't believe how the characters treated each other. Excellent example of a dysfunctional family needing therapy.
Linda Timm
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-books
Myra Harper
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want a deeper understanding of the crazy people in you life?

WOW!!! This is going to be difficult... this book is easy to read yet can keep you awake at night comparing characters motivations with people in your own life! It could have been a short story with an all to familiar theme, but each chapter goes back and forth telling the narrative from the point of view of all of the main characters... even the antagonist. You will find yourself being empathetic to characters you would not normally
Karri-ann Flater
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
One of those books where you want to find out what happens and you can't stop reading the book, but the characters drive you crazy! Their actions and thought processes are immature, they have no insight and their reactions to situations are extremely frustrating. I suppose these qualities do make them seem human and somewhat relatable. So maybe that is why I was able to read the book in its entirety.

Also, I felt like the main character was Casey and this was her story. So I felt that she should
Sue
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of life lessons for members of a family about so many topics: cyber safety, teenage hormones and dreams, plans for life that go astray, problems with alcohol, trust, control, mental illness and how to cope when everything looks horrible. I liked the fact that Casey and Michael and Angel and others got their own chapters to give the reader insight into what was going on in their thoughts and actions. So many times we ignore or don't pay enough attention to those we love, friends or ...more
Jan
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I mostly just read this book to get it finished, to see what would happens next. The characters were such caricatures, their behavior was all very exaggerated and over the top. I would almost say it was like a Hallmark channel movie, but probably even a little too much for that. Also, it wrapped up too prettily, although at least the end wasn't as depressing and frustrating as most of the rest. Not really recommended.
Lucy McLaurin
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I saw this on Amazon as a book recommended as similar to a previous book ordered.

I actually quite enjoyed it. The characters were well rounded with flaws and all, and quite likeable and believable. It was quite a refreshing read in that it explored a family's life in today's society - a blended family with all the problems that could come with those circumstances.

A good, enlightening read that I enjoyed.
Debi Kyle
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read. I highly recommend it!

I found this novel o reflect real life families. No one seems to talk to each other anymore. I mean meaningful discussions that allow openness & honesty & trust. This book walks through a very stressful 48 hours that propels this family to either unite or implode. It held my attention & brought insight to so many situations in my own life.
Kathy
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dysfunctional with a Capital D

This book was an easy read but unfortunately I could relate to the step mom character. However, it isn't this bad being a step mom unless you have a mentally ill addicted ex wife to deal with.

This book does ring true in one sense; don't hide things from your loved ones. The truth will get out - it always does.
Sara
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay

I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. I didn't think the characters were well developed. What was behind Casey running off? Where did Michael's great parenting come from? A lot of unanswered questions.
Kacy
Well written...good story.
Karen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A gripping story. However the book jacket says "And it all starts with just a few tentative words..." What tentative words? When did she say them? I'm confused...
Marti
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I love a happy ending & the graciousness of forgiveness.

Every character grew up in this touching family story.
Linda
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Waste of my time. Predicable story and characters.
Lindajk
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick read.
W. Sarah
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spot on

This is a painful story to read. Unfortunately this occurs in more families especially as the alcohol/opioid crisis continues in the US.
JT
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great, great book that takes you into the minds of all the characters. Very well written!
Jael
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think it's fair to say that if I like one of your books, I will be back for more. I loved The Life You've Imagined by Kristina Riggle. When I saw the e-mail about an opportunity to take part in a blog tour with her latest book, Things We Didn't Say, I was eager to participate. I didn't even know what the book was about, but I knew I wanted to read it.

Do you ever walk around with bottled up feelings? I'm sure we all do. The family in Things We Didn't Say is no different.

Casey, a 26-year-old

• Among the Lesser Gods
  • Belonging
  • The Courage Tree
  • The Islanders
Kristina Riggle lives in West Michigan, where she writes character-driven novels about complex personal dynamics. Her debut novel, Real Life & Liars, was a Target "Breakout" pick and a "Great Lakes, Great Reads" selection by the Great Lakes Independent Booksellers Association. Her latest novel, Vivian in Red, is a story of 1930s Broadway and today about a lyricist, the clouded history of his ...more