Start by marking “Larry Bond's First Team (Larry Bond's First Team, #1)” as Want to Read:
Larry Bond's First Team (Larry Bond's First Team, #1)

Larry Bond's First Team (Larry Bond's First Team #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  591 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of the classic technothrillers Red Phoenix and Day of Wrath, Larry Bond has won praise for the gritty authenticity of his military-political adventures as well as for his matchless talent at generating edge-of-your-seat suspense. Now Bond debutes an exciting new series that rockets straight from the cutting edge of America's war on ter ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Larry Bond's First Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Larry Bond's First Team

Luna
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I had purchased this book for my hubby, and he just took too long to read it...and it looked lonely, so I read it. It quickly became one of my favorites even though it isn't a genre I would normally have touched. I'm glad I did, because there's spies, danger, excitement, and lots of cool weapons and stuff.

I am still heartbroken by the ending, but it is still one of my go-to reads when I don't feel like searching for a book.
Practical Mike
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably doesn't deserve the full 4 stars, but it's more than a 3 star book.

Some times there's just a few more details or actions at the wrong time that messes with the pacing of the story. And I had trouble connecting with the characters at times. They seemed a little one-dimensional.

All in all though, the book is a pretty decent read despite the minor-ish nit-picks above.
Pierre Tassé
This book started with the names of people very difficult to read (pronounce) and the font was smaller than normal and the book was longer than average. I have read a lot of books and after the first two chapters I came to the conclusion that this book was not going to be worth my effort. It had the genesis of a good story but ...not for me.
Jerome
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I seriously considered quitting this book after about 100 pages. At this point the problem wasn't the storytelling, but the horrendeous dialogue among the "First Team". I guess the authors were trying to add character to these people, but every other word was a joke or a lewd comment. This detracted from the already choppy story because it often seemed forced and out of place and incredibly unrealistic. I doubt soldiers trade crass jokes in the heat of battle.

The horrible dialogue tapers off som
Deane Barker
I read this book because I loved Red Storm Rising (which Bond co-wrote) when I was in high school, and was looking for a way to recapture that. The result was mixed. This book was less "nation states at war" and more "special forces beats the terrorists." The plot was very human-oriented, which wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

In the end, it's a standard techno-thriller about a four man "Special Demands" group that outwits some terrorists. I had some trouble following some of it -- there were
Sarah Eckert
I love military/CIA/FBI themed books. Especially one where protagonists go after terrorists and win.

Guess it's just the American in me.

I also like when authors think about ways terrorists can get us, then figure out how to make the protagonists figure out what the terrorists are doing and then stop them. It shows that they are thinking and that if the public reads these books might be on the lookout for ways terrorists might think to attack us and how we can stop them.

Or it might just make us pa
Mike Emett
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not one to just stop reading book no matter how bad, dragging-ly slow it is, good, great etc etc etc it is... I will finish it!!!!! However.... Larry Bond has the 'honor' of being my first book/author to just stop reading a book altogether. I love military/political techno-thrillers to the max! YET.... this book was dragging.... dragging.... I could not take it anymore! Sorry Larry. I had hopes for this series and other books but it drags on and on. I look into and read through other books ...more
Martin Streetman
Dec 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martin by: Chicago Nick
Lee
The first book of Larry Bond’s first team finds the NSA team trying to track down a group of terrorists who are taking nuclear waste from Soviet Waste sites. As they travel between the various Soviet satellites trying to stop the attack. Ok read
Elisif
Jul 07, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I'm going to like this, but years ago I really enjoyed some of his other stuff. The military stuff I read is usually non-fiction, but fiction might be a nice change. I'm so busy these days, something escapist is best.
Amy Coats
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Norris Holmes
Jun 22, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bond-larry
After bout a qtr way into it I gave up. Just couldn't seem to get into it any longer. And way too much cussing for me as well.
Bob4you
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading it again 3/19 as I was reading 4 books at one time, not good idea, too confusing. LOL
Dan Smith
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the is the first of this series that I have read. There is not a minute of down time during the entire book. I am really looking forward to the next one.
Srinidhi
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise, but could not finish due to terrible writing and editing.
Dick
Mr.
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Thrilling adventure. Makes you wonder what's really going on in the threats mind.
Matt
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good book if you like military adventure and spy stories
Chuck
Apr 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Co-written with Jim DeFelice. I suspect that Bond offered only the use of
his name to this effort as it is badly written. I retired after 50 pages.
Jake Karam
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little tough to get going but well worth it. A great lead character with a solid team. As far as these team themed books got his series is worth it and gets better as you go along.
John Alexander
It was a good book,nothing great. It did just enough to keep my attention and help put me to sleep at night.
Jeff Crosby
Disappointing based on his earlier works.
Beth A
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
tight, suspenseful story telling
Craig
Oct 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war-stories
Larry Bond should have stuck to writing his own books rather than renting his name to the sophomoric First Team series.
Mark
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid read, he did a good job with the characters. I will read the 2nd book in the series. Nothing fancy though.
Papal Bull
Slow. Jumpy. Not as enjoyable as other technothrillers out there. Definitely not as good as Bond's earlier work.
Twilight Sparkle
Albert Richardson
Oct 21, 2015
Grisha
Apr 25, 2011
Roy
May 21, 2014
  • Razor's Edge (Dreamland, #3)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Pandora's Legion (Harold Coyle's Strategic Solutions, Inc., #1)
  • Victory
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • Balance of Power (Jim Dillon, #1)
19636
Larry Bond is the author of several bestselling military thrillers, including Crash Dive, Cold Choices, Dangerous Ground, Red Phoenix and the Larry Bond’s First Team and Larry Bond’s Red Dragon Rising series. He was a naval officer for six years, serving four on a destroyer and two on shore duty in the Washington DC area. He's also worked as a warfare analyst and antisubmarine technology expert, a ...more
More about Larry Bond...

Larry Bond's First Team (4 books)
  • Angels of Wrath (Larry Bond's First Team, #2)
  • Fires of War (Larry Bond's First Team, #3)
  • Soul of the Assassin (Larry Bond's First Team, #4)