Start by marking “A Bed of Earth (The Secret Books of Venus, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Bed of Earth (The Secret Books of Venus, #3)

A Bed of Earth (The Secret Books of Venus #3)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The third book in Tanith Lee's compelling series based on alchemy and the elements focuses on the element of earth. It is a haunting journey to a parallel version of sixteenth-century Venice, where a fierce territorial rivalry between two noble families-the della Scorpias and the Barbarons-unearths a supernatural force from beneath the placid surface of the canals and rott ...more
Published August 5th 2002 by Overlook Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Bed of Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bed of Earth

Fraser Sherman
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's been so long since I read any Lee, I'd forgotten how good she is. The story involves several threads that eventually tie together (though not in any way I expected): a member of the undertaker's guild, a tragic love that drives a noblewoman to drown herself, a young aristocrat who falls for what appears to be a ghost. The story starts slow (but readable) and becomes more absorbing as it goes along.
Chere
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dark
The third of The Secret Books of Venus is as rich and luscious as the first two. The story is different in theme as the others, yet it is consistent in its history and setting. I feel that I know Venus so well, that I've been there myself. As before, this tale is filled with magic and vivid images and colors, a lush tapestry. It is a story of fantasy, but also a story of human emotions, most of all the transcendent power of love. It had me gripped until the end, delivering a final twist even at ...more
Lauren
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tanith-lee
Some of this book is horrifying, but there is horror all over the stories of Paradys & now Venus. I didn't care so much for the 1st 2 Venus books, because I felt they were going nowhere & lacking in substance of their own.

Book 3 tells several different stories of love, revenge, & death, & offers redemption at the end, which is rather kind of Lee considering how she has punished me in other books like Vivia or Mortal Suns.
Unwisely
Aug 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
I liked the first book in this series. My library doesn't own the second book in the series, so I picked this up. I ... really, really couldn't get into it. I didn't like the main character, and she was too frustratingly naive for me to get past the first 100 pages, so I finally gave up. Ugh.
SmokingMirror
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5
Lynn
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great!
Even the book cover illustration reflects the story.
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is very strange. The flamingo on the cover actually kills some guy and makes a nest in his body. I'm pretty sure flamingos don't really do that.
Krista
rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2011
Oct 08, 2012
Christine
Mar 21, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Iron Grail (The Merlin Codex, Book 2)
  • The Pillow Friend
  • The Sky So Big and Black (Century Next Door, #4)
  • Light Music (Nanotech, #4)
  • Kings and Assassins (Antyre, #2)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Tenth Annual Collection
  • Shambleau
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
  • The Painter Knight (Branion, #2)
  • Permanence
  • A Fistful of Sky  (LaZelle, #1)
  • The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque
  • Smoking Poppy
  • Effendi
  • Dreamer (The Silent Empire, #1)
  • The Demon and the City (Detective Inspector Chen, #2)
  • The Archer's Heart
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...

The Secret Books of Venus (4 books)
  • Faces Under Water (The Secret Books of Venus, #1)
  • Saint Fire (The Secret Books of Venus, #2)
  • Venus Preserved (The Secret Books of Venus, #4)