Start by marking “Tortoise Interruptus” as Want to Read:

Tortoise Interruptus

Cursed by an impatient witch to turn into a tortoise at inopportune moments, Tip is horrified to find himself tortoise-napped by a customer at the cafe where he works.

Things start to look up when Tip ends up very literally in the capable hands of drop-dead gorgeous Steve -- but Tip soon begins to wonder just how far he can trust Steve, who turns out to have a close connec
Published March 28th 2011 by Torquere Press (first published March 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tortoise Interruptus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tortoise Interruptus

Dick, It's What's for Dinner by James   CoxI'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseSno Ho by Ethan DayFrat Boy and Toppy by Anne TeninoShattered Glass by Dani Alexander
Funniest Gay Titles
275 books — 163 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
1,057 books — 1,464 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather C
This was soooo laugh-out-loud funny!

Poor little Tip gets cursed by a looney witch and frequently/unexpectedly shapeshifts into a tortoise. Not only that, then he gets tortoise-napped by another looney witch!! Luckily, hunky non-witch Steve is there to rescue him.

This was a really cute story and will take less than an hour to read!!

Here are a few funny quotes:

"Please don't eat me! Eat my sister, she's muchfatter than I am!"

"And okay, Steve had just asked him out for lunch, but Tip had found to
Cryselle
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shifter, torquere, m-m
Sweet and funny -- the title alone made me giggle, and poor Tip's adventures ping-pong from silly to sillier. Anyone who becomes a tortoise at irregular intervals and for unknown lengths of time is going to burn out his ability to blush -- or wish he could. From musings on the sensation of switching form, which Tip fears makes him look foolish, to the hazards faced by the suddenly six-inch tall, mute, and unable to jump, this story made me laugh out loud every few paragraphs.

Vertical space has a
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bubbles Hunty by: SusieQ
Shelves: super-cute
I just loved this one, it was adorable
Ami
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
Adorable is the perfect word to describe this short story. From the idea of tortoise-shifter (I know, it's uncommon, but you cannot deny that tortoise is an adorable pet :p) to tortoise-napping to the need of having normal relationship (as normal as a tortoise-shifter can!) just screams adorable for me.

I must say that I tip (no pun intended!) my head of to Tip, he manages to deal with his curse pretty well. Considering the animal that he is forced to shift to; he doesn't become suicidal or reve
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This one was super cute. I really loved it. It's short and sweet and funny. Just thinking about Tip shifting into a tortoise should give you a good clue on how cute this must be. I mean, a tortoise, really? I loved the fact that it was a different shifter than the usual ones and with a curse to boot! Of course, the story was made even better when Tip was kidnapped as a tortoise and the witch's nephew that cursed Tip enters the picture. Definitely recommended if you are looking for something to c ...more
Lil' Grogan
Tip in tortoise form was a lot more entertaining than in human form. Middle portion of story felt bland. Not enough plot or characterization (except for Tip). Cute concept, a few laughs, but no substance.
Ulysses Dietz
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
BY JL Merrow
JMS Books, 2017
Four stars

I am a big Merrow fan, and this was a sweet, wry, clever delight. But, like most short fiction, it left me rather dissatisfied, because the whole idea (an involuntary shape-shifter, cursed by a cranky old witch for irritating her) is amusing and could be spun into a full-length book of adventure and romance.

Tarquin Tiptree (see, only the British have really wonderful bizarre names…and this from someone named Ulysses) is a bit of a type—sw
Mara Ismine
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
How could I resist a title like that? Or a tortoise shapeshifter?

It was well worth reading. Very funny and entertaining. I'm hoping for more about them - there are important questions to be answered. Does Tip hibernate in either form? Will they get past the second part of the very apt title?
Becca Waldrop
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This little story was so cute but do I feel sorry for Tip. Bless his heart. He gets cursed and everyone seems to think it's funny. He can't seem to catch a break. At least his curse is something cute
Donna
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 0-lgbtq-read
Deeena said it best... First time I've ever been disappointed by a Merrow story. It was fine, until the end. I hated the end.
Kassa
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I adore JL Merrow’s sense of humor and Tortoise Interruptus is no different. The story is short, sweet, incredibly witty, and laugh out loud funny in parts. This is a great story for fans of Merrow’s as well as though new to the author. This is short enough to satisfy while giving a glimpse of the author’s trademark sense of humor. In fact it’s rare to read a story of JL Merrow’s that isn’t quite enjoyable and funny. So TI fits very well with her backlist and is an easy story to recommend.

The p
Katharina
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Alright, so that was... ok, I guess. It was a pretty silly and fun idea which is cool. A tortoise-shapeshifter - I just had to read this! The story itself, though, was not really my cup of tea. I usually love J.L. Merrow stories, so I was disappointed by this one.
I love good, light-hearted, funny stories, but Tortoise Interruptus just felt substance-less to me and I couldn't make myself like the characters at all. So there was this hot guy Steve who kind of annoyed me, because he didn't seem to
Ann Roberts
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-read, shifters
I loved the not-so-common type of shifter that the MC Tip (for his surname Tiptree, not his first name Tarpin--how cute is that?) is in this story. The story is a little slow-moving, but so is Tip in turtle-form, so I found that appropriate! At less than 40 pages, there was plenty of cuteness as well as decent male action with Steve. I would recommend this short story to those who want something a little different.
Camille Adams
A silly, insubstantial fairy tale complete with witches and a perfect cardboard cut-out Prince Charming.
Meggie
May 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
This short story is funny, I admit, but really to use a characters like this is really no fun for him.
Deeze
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-easy-reads
A short easy read. Strong start, definitely funny, very unusual, but the ending kinda creeped me out LOL.

Great as an inbetween read when u need a break from reality.
Finnegan
An interesting concept, the story of a shifter, shifting to a non-traditional type of animal. There was not a muscular, strappy werewolf in sight. However, Tip the tortoise shifter was a bit of a miss for me. I never warmed up to him, and I found Steve, the non-witch, kind of annoying. Not my cup of tea, but I am sure other readers would love it.
Shymsal
Cute short, but I think I would have liked it more if it had taken a little longer developing things between Steve and Tip. Ah well.
Deena
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Emma Jaye
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its quirky, sexy and the funniest thing I've read in ages.

Needs to be read, but be warned, its very British!
Sasha Ambroz
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful shapeshifting crack
Oaken
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
short, sweet, and funny. who doesn't love an MC who has tortoise troubles?
Ali
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Review:

Rating: 3 stars out of 5

What a sweet and funny story. Tip has been dealing with the fact that he can turn into a tortoise at any time after he was cursed by a witch. It has really put a damper on his ability to live his life since he never has more than a few minutes notice.

We see Tip’s complete frustration at his situation and knowing there is nothing he can do about it. When he changes back right in front of Steve he can’t believe his
Tam
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, other-shifters
Jen did a great review of this at BER, but I had to do it here. Tip has a bit of a problem. After being cursed by a cranky witch, he periodically turns into a tortoise with little warning. It annoys his sister to no end, but she takes care of him and one day puts him out front of her restaurant so he can get some sun. He is soon Tortoise-napped by a kind woman who takes him to her hotel. He manages to escape, after spending the night in the bathtub, and ends up in the room of a hot guy. Seems ho ...more
Miroslava
Mar 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ok, this was kind of weird. I know it is normal to write books about shapeshifters but about a man who was cursed, by a crazy woman that had a bad day, and now is changing irregularly into tortoise and can't control it at all.
The main part of the book is him changed into a tortoise and trying to escape a woman who kidnapped him, then he finds a man who wants to help him and in the end the woman who cursed him wants to help so she reverse it but fail and basically nothing changes except the "tor
Nora
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an adorably funny, short read. Although I definitely enjoyed it, I was a little annoyed at Tip's rather girlish description. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with a feminine man, they are, after all, still men. Steve just seemed a little too much like a "chick with brick" to me. And the ending: just odd.
P.D. Singer
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cute and funny! Quite aside from the ludicrous misadventures -- what if Tip shifts while on his back? -- I loved the total mismatch between Tip's perception of himself and Steve's obvious appreciation. And that last line -- NOT to be read while drinking anything you don't want to clean out of the keyboard.
Lisa
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of funny short read

Through no fault of his own Tip was cursed to turn into a tortoise randomly by a shop owner. He then gets tortoise napped and meets Steve who just happens to be the witches nephew. Can the curse be broken (erm no) and can Steve and Tip ever get time to themselves.
Abra
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, m-m, paranormal
Objectively, this book is quite silly and a little ridiculous. But it wasn't MEANT to be taken seriously. It is short, light, sexy fluff. And the humor is awesome. The image of a tortoise lumbering down his sister's wedding aisle with the rings taped to his shell... ha, the story gets a whole extra star just for that.
Aidee Ladnier
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet story! I loved Tip and his inopportune shifting to a tortoise. Steve was such a nice guy despite his wacky, family. Maybe he needs to take up magic just to balance out his relatives...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Caged
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • How the Other Half Lives (London Lads, #2)
  • Hue, Tint and Shade (Petit Morts, #1)
  • Midsummer Curse (Midsummer, #2)
  • A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)
  • Reindeer Games (Reindeer Games, #1)
  • Left of Centre
  • Sharing Paul (Portals, #3)
  • Go Fish
  • One Good Hand (One Good, #1)
  • Tatterdemalion (Foundations of Magic, #1)
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
  • Rinse and Repeat (Repeater, #1)
JL Merrow is that rare beast, an English person who refuses to drink tea. She read Natural Sciences at Cambridge, where she learned many things, chief amongst which was that she never wanted to see the inside of a lab ever again. Her one regret is that she never mastered the ability of punting one-handed whilst holding a glass of champagne.

She writes across genres, with a preference for contempora