Start by marking “All the Water in the World” as Want to Read:
All the Water in the World

All the Water in the World

A lively and inspiring poem weaves together facts about water and the need for water conservation.
Published March 22nd 2011 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Pooja
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Is all the water in the world?

Betsy
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The role of the public library has changed so often over the last century or so that its latest incarnation as a supporter of public education turns out to be one of the more logical connections you'd expect from this essential institution. Suddenly public libraries around the country are purchasing books that support school agendas and school curriculums. They've always done so to a certain degree, but now that school library budgets are being slashed, public libraries often find themselves pic ...more
Cheryl
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful art inspired by Eric Carle, but richer, with images within images etc. (Thankfully very different from her Library Lights...). Poem reads well, with lots of juicy words, and some 'concrete poetry' images; could be drawn upon as a mentor text. A bit skimpy on the facts; use it as a companion to a water or environmental unit unless you're just simply sharing it with preschool. Highly recommended to poets, parents and teachers.

(That second person address to 'honey' sounds off, to me, thou
Carolynne
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, picture-books
Simple but forceful book relating the water cycle, and the inequities of water distribution, digitally illustrated with bright bold colors by Katherine Tillotson, whose work may remind you of Denise Fleming's. Unusual layouts, a variety of font sizes, and use of concrete poetry make the words as memorable as the pictures. Good for use in a science or environment class in a primary classroom, but it has nothing in common with the typical water cycle chapter in a textbook: it is vivid and lively a ...more
David Schaafsma
A picture book featuring a poem by Lyon, whose work I like, about one of our main endangered resources, fresh water. I liked Tillotson's kinetic art, too. I typically don't like didactic books, as they usually have the opposite of the intended political effect, but this one I liked because it's not really overtly preachy, it's a poem, visually poetic, and about a crucially important subject for everyone.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Wonderful book that will teach children how important water is to everyone (now if only adults could learn this)!
Gwen Martin
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book explained the water cycle in a way that young children could understand, which I really liked about it. George Ella Lyon began by showing different ways we use water in our lives and the many ways it is available to us. She then asks the question, "Where does it come from?". She then proceeds to show the water cycle and explain each step so that anyone could understand. The way she uses similes makes the book even more enjoyable to read. She also elaborates on how, even if it is rainin ...more
Jim Minick
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book.
Jenny
This is a great book! I love the illustrations but even more, I love the word choice. It's poetic and filled with detail. For example, listen to this sentence: "That rain that cascaded from clouds and meandered down mountains, that wavered over waterfalls then slipped into rivers and opened into oceans, that rain has been here before." Or this line: "Tap dance avalanche stampede of drips and drops and drumming-a wealth of water."

Great book to discuss the water cycle. I am going to use it as we d
Donalyn
Poet George Ella Lyon elegantly and simply describes the water cycle through rhyming text and active verbs. Page layouts combine various font sizes and directions on top of Katherine Tillotson's bold illustrations.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
A beautiful, poetic book about water. Lyon offers a message about conserving water in a non-preachy way.
Lin Lin
A masterfully illustrated and beautifully versed book, it gave me and my second-grader son so much joy reading it together.
Mary Lee
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Water cycle, told poetically. Fabulous illustrations.
Dolly
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Colorful digitally-created illustrations nicely complement this poem that pays homage to water, an essential part of life on Earth.
Richie Partington
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
28 May 2011 ALL THE WATER IN THE WORLD by George Ella Lyon and Katherine Tillotson, Atheneum, March 2011, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-4169-7130-6

"Water doesn't come.
It goes.
Around."

"Fresh water makes up less than 3% of the water on Earth. Over two-thirds of this is tied up in polar ice caps and glaciers. Fresh water lakes and rivers make up only 0.009% of water on Earth and groundwater makes up .28%"
-- Water Wars Worldwide website

"Oh, the water,
Oh, the water,
Oh, the water,
Let it run all over me."
-- Van Mo
Sarah Ballard
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
This book is written as a poem and states facts about where water comes from and where it goes. It touches on information about the ocean and waterways. A message is presented in the book how water connects everyone on the planet and how we need to conserve our water.

Evaluation:
This book uses a lot of illustrations that go along perfectly with the text. I like how the book is informational, but is portrayed in poetry form. The message of water conservation is important and it is sharin
Ashley Perry
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
This book discusses how water moves from the Earth, to the atmosphere, and back to Earth in a process known as the water cycle. The story is told to a child from a mother's point of view. She tells her child that water is precious, that we should not waste it, and that we should keep it clean.

Evaluation:
The words in this story are not written in typical straight lines, from left to right across each page. The words are written the way water travels; up, down, and all around. The illust
Katie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was so many good things in one small book. This read as a spoken poem, to me at least. It was very poetry like, not sure if intentionally. I think it touches on how the water cycle works, while also allowing for more exploration. It's not CLEARLY water cycle, it's poetry water cycle. But I do think kids would enjoy it. Plus, it also ends with a activist approach, so allowing students to think about water and its purpose and clean water and what it means to keep the earth green. I think this ...more
Monica
Audience:4 and up, smaller children or those learning about the water cycle in school
Appeal:This book engages young readers with bright,colorful pictures that flow across the pages. Use of different fonts, angles, and even having the reader turn the book sideways to read the words, keep the reader guessing at what comes next. The author uses onomatopoeia, personification and rhyme at different times throughout the book on an inconsistent basis making each page new.

Bill Martin Jr. Picture Book A
Lidia Alarcon
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
Awards: Charlotte Zolotow Award Highly Commended Title (2012)

Appropriate grade level(s): pre-k - K

Summary: This book discusses where on Earth water comes from. It discusses the water cycle. It also discusses the importance to preserve water, since all that there is on the planet is all we will ever have.

Review: I really like this book because it not only teaches about water cycle, but the importance of caring for water. This would be a great book to read on earth day! I enjoyed the blue-tones th
Brenda
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: water-cycle, water
This graphic and rhythmic poetic book puts facts about water and its need for conservation together to create awareness in a fun way. It illustrates how we use water in a daily basis and it takes the reader from its own house to the wilderness where tigers drink form it. The illustrations are colorful and the text makes it easy and enjoyable to read. The text is one of the engaging factors. The text is enlarged, swapped, flipped, put to the sides just like the flow of water.
Melissa Hicks
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The poems within this book were greatly enhanced by the illustrations. I loved the way that the word choice engaged the readers in the concepts of the water cycle. I think this would be a great book to teach about imagery through poem and get students to connect deeper with language through writing.
Heather
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Slam poetry non fiction
I swam in this book
Thankful for the papers
Serving the irony of calls
For a green earth
Where trees are ghosts
Haunting pages singing
Oak and pine poems
To teach preservation
Randy
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been thinking about water. This book, through simple illustrations and beautiful words, tells the story of water. It helps to clarify the water cycle and how we all rely on water. Therefore we need to be aware of how much we use, and how much we need to take care to keep it clean.
Suzie
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The 3 year old and I both loved the illustrations in this book. It flowed very nicely (no pun intended) and had a great message.
Mrs. Ruigrok
A simple story about the water...where it comes from, the many forms. A good, but simple book to teach children about the importance of water.
Sydney Martindale
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, science
This book has some beautiful painting in it. I also like how the book is meant to be read horizontally and vertically. It also has some great information motion on the water cycle.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful book - illustrations plus poem - about water. We are big into water conservation, so I thought this book was fantastic.
Sunah Chung
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is about all the water in the world based on the question of where it comes from.
This poetic nonfiction picture book described the water cycle and conservation of water. What I liked were the variety of ways to represent the theme in artistic styles. Illustrations portrayed everything from energetic water waves to the small rain drops. Water was not only represented by one shade of blue, but included different hues of blue and even green. The gradation of the colors represented the dy
Josette Abruzzini
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“All the Water in the World ….is all the water in the world.” How’s that for a first line?
Charming words and phrases splash about this engaging picture book by George Ella Lyon and Katherine Tillotson. (Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2017) Children will reach for All the Water in the World again and again, and no wonder. Its fresh rhymes feel spontaneous even as they pop up in unexpected places. They tumble elegantly across each page and tickle the listener’s ear.
Imaginations will float arou
  • Step Gently Out
  • Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems
  • Frog Song
  • Coral Reefs
George Ella Lyon is a Kentucky author who has published in many genres, including picture books, poetry, juvenile novels, and articles.