Start by marking “The Payback” as Want to Read:
The Payback

The Payback

(Dennis Milne #3)

TWO COPS, ONE CITY, NO MERCY

Dennis Milne is a man with a past, and a past that involves murder.

A former cop, he's earned his living killing the bad guys - drug-dealers, corrupt business men - people who, in his opinion, deserve to die. For the past two days, he's been in Manila, waiting for his next target: a young woman who's made herself some poor life-choices, and some
Published February 17th 2011 by Transworld Digital (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Payback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Payback

Start your review of The Payback
Mike
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action packed thriller, with former London policeman Dennis still in the murder-for-hire business. Our anti-hero is on a collision course with Tina Boyd, who's on the trail of a super rich, super bad guy based in the Phillipines, Milne's old stomping grounds.
Andrew
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. This was by far the best book in the trilogy and introduced me to the character of Tina Boyd (who figures in her own Simon Kernick Series). I liked the way Simon merged the two different parts of the story from Dennis's end and Tina's, both taking place in different parts of the world. Dennis as a former policeman is quite a different and intriguing character. It was good how they eventually worked together in the case after an interesting introduction to each other! This book certain ...more
Yigal Zur
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
at the beginning i felt it is a bit cold and detached thriller starting with an killer on demand who is an ex-police with not a very clear back ground. but as the plot get speed so is the reader goes into a fascinating thriller which deal with the evil of human traffic in south east asia and with a very high level of moral stand of the author. i missed a bit the true smells and small touches from places like manila and luang prabang which stayed detached and not with real life beside of served t ...more
Toni Osborne
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok I admit, I am hooked after reading only two books from this author, I have been drawn from the start into the excitement of Mr. Kernick’s fast moving action packed dramas. “The Payback” drags you into the gory and mystery filled action right from the first murder and with each new victim the suspense intensifies, the constant twists and turns make it a hard novel to put aside.

This latest caper set in the Philippines highlights two of Mr. Kernick’s most popular protagonists: Tina Boyd, the ex
Rob Twinem
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very fond of Simon Kernick as a thriller/crime writer and this does not disappoint. Yes, it has to be said there is little in the way of deep character development but what this book lacks in deep intelligent literary thought it makes up for in the ferocious action that starts on page one and does not let up until the end....so if you want to escape from the toils and tribulations of daily life...let facebook go....forget emails...switch off the telly and settle down to good old fashioned storyt ...more
Siobhan
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been curious about Simon Kernick’s Dennis Milne for a while and have been desperate to dive into the series. Although this is the last book in the series, it’s the first of the series I have read. I hate to read series out of order, but the library has been giving me the books in no particular order. Despite not knowing the details of the prior books, I was able to enjoy this one.

The Payback had me hooked from the start, and I was happy to power through it in no time. There were a few momen
Kevin
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read

It's a good plot but very unbelievable with some of the antics. What I did find was realistic truths that in some parts of the world, there is a lot of corruption within their own countries upper echelons.

Good but not blown away
Best Crime Books & More
I am a huge fan of Kernick's after reading Relentless. I also found previous book The Last Ten Seconds was a corker of a read. With this one I feel like it was a bit flat in comparison. The story itself was okay, and we get to see Tina Boyd and her obsessions once again. I just felt it wasn't as good in comparison to his last one.

Like I said before Tina Boyd once again makes an appearance and all of her obsessions are highlighted even more in this book. She is a really good character and with th
Emma
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
I love Simon Kernick. Ever since I picked up Target I have been hooked.

Don't get me wrong when I give The Payback three stars. I really liked it, but it felt very samey to his others. I know its natural to have similarities, but I felt that others I have read have been more inventive and exciting, especially his earlier ones. They were grittier and more violent, maybe not believeable, but more possible.

I love the two characters Tina Boyd and Dennis Milne, and the two of them in the same novel w
Sean Peters
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hi,

Another first author for me. Recently reading and really enjoying finding these exciting authors and their novels, with Allan Folsom, Vince Flynn and now Simon Kernick.

This book is very fast paced, gripping and tense, and all the characters come together.

With locations in London and the Phillipines.

Really exciting, last few chapters read today as I could not put the book down.

Now looking forward to reading his next book Relentless.

Highly recommended

regards

Sean

Adam
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller, own
Well this is my first Simon Kernick book and I can't wait to read another!

I thought this book was a phenomenal read. The pace never let's up and is a real page turner. The chapters were a good length and i really felt like I knew the characters.

Highly recommended!
David
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Very good read and seems to be the end of Dennis Milne. There could however be a new main character emerging.
Andrew Roberts
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb.
Seán B
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simon-kernick
Another stellar book from Simon Kernick - the third in the series involving Dennis Milne. We meet Dennis again several years after the events in 'A Good Day to Die', he seems to be trying to escape the life he has been leading after so many murders and sins throughout the years. Until he gets pulled back in by a debt owed to Bertie Schagel (a fixer) who reminds him that he owes him a debt due to rescuing Dennis and helping him escape London all those years ago.

Dennis is asked to kill Tina Boyd
Silvia Molinari
I simply loved it. I like Kernick's style, so hooking and engaging. Once I start reading one of his books, I cannot stop. I'm glad I commute so I can have plenty of time to read, the only problem is to get off of the train at the wrong station!
I have quite a soft spot for Dennis Milne since Kernick has described him as a man with a dark past but still with a sense of the limit between what is wrong and what is right. Albeit he sometimes tends to forget this limit, his inner self knows how to le
Lisa M
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could have been 4 stars but I had a gap reading it due to review copies stacking up and so it took a while to get back into it. I actually did really enjoy it it was just the stop-start didn't help but also the main character is an assassin and I struggled a little bit with the fact halfway through the book he appeared to get a conscience...

After killing for years and some of them he knew were needless deaths it was a little strange how all of a sudden he just lowers the gun, metaphorically
Plum-crazy
Now here's the thing....I really don't know what to make of this author! I read "Relentless" & found it disappointing, followed it with "Deadline" which I quite enjoyed but I then really didn't like "Severed" . So the question is - what would I make of this one?
Well ,I'm surprised but happy to say, I really enjoyed it! Better storyline, good characters that were already known to me & action scenes that I could visualise (most of the time).

My thinking is now that if I come across a Dennis Milne
Mark Farley
Ok, so the indiscriminate killing is probably a little too much to be necessary. I mean, really. A LOT of people die, needlessly so. In an almost Killing Eve sort of way.

Personally, I could have done without all the child abuse and paedophilia (A LOT), it’s a fairly brutal a read all in all. I found myself drifting away as the multiple narratives changed though, as the voices were not very distinctive from one another. Other than that, it’s a cracking read, along with the only other I read, Rel
Donald
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first 200 pages are pretty dang good! I really like when the “good guy” is also a “bad” guy, in this case, an assassin for hire. But chapter 25 seems so unlikely that it kinda killed my buzz. The assassin goes from super tough guy, to tender hearted "nice" guy - really fast! I'd give the first half four stars and the second half one.
Aves
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
It's an amazing thriller. The action sequences were so descriptive that I could imagine it in front of my eyes like a movie. Only sad thing of finishing this book is that now I miss Dennis Milne and Tina Boyd.
Leslea
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rip roaring story with lots of action and if you can believe it, a lovable hitman! Keeps you glued to the pages and fully entertained. Loved it.
Perfectmask
Good story, but no need to drag it on that much, could have cut out a quarter of it.
Anne Stewart
This book was passed down to me. First time I have read a book by this author. I don’t think I plan to read anymore by this author.
Audrey
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action packed plot, involving 2 of Kernick's main characters, Dennis Milne and Tina Boyd, who make a great team to eliminate some very bad men in the Philippines!
Joy
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good third book in the Dennis Milne trilogy, which also introduces another new DI Tina Boyd.
Dave Munn
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cracker
Gustambro
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-order-4
Oh Dennis Milne, the only criminal that readers cannot hate, but sympathise. I'll miss you! Nice ending though
Terry Chapelhow
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent thriller from Simon Kernick.
Peter Tennant
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent
Rog Harrison
The author knows how to write tense thrillers and this is an exciting read right from the start. This book features Dennis Milne, an ex-policeman turned killer, who has featured in two earlier books as well as Tina Boyd, a police detective, who has appeared in several other books. The Milne books were told in the first person and so are the chapters featuring Milne here. The chapters featuring Boyd are told in the third person. Things get a bit more complicated when the characters met up. Given ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Written in Blood (Robert Hunter, #11)
  • End Game (Kerry Casey #3)
  • The Valhalla Exchange
  • The Prophecy (Payne & Jones, #5)
  • The Prison Doctor: Women Inside: Stories from my time inside Britain’s biggest women’s prison.
  • Seven Troop
  • Dead at First Sight (Roy Grace, #15)
  • Global Strike (Strike Back #3)
  • Kill For Me (Romantic Suspense, #9; Daniel Vartanian, #3)
  • Deathlist (Strike Back #1)
  • Sign of the Cross (Payne & Jones, #2)
  • The Lost Throne (Payne & Jones, #4)
  • Shadow Kill (Strike Back #2)
  • Blackout
  • Bad Soldier (Danny Black, #4)
  • Relentless
  • Hunter Killer (Danny Black, #2)
  • The Plantation (Payne & Jones, #1)
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion ...more

Dennis Milne (3 books)
  • The Business of Dying (Dennis Milne, #1)
  • A Good Day to Die (Dennis Milne, #2)

News & Interviews

“The day it all went wrong for me was 11 August 1989. That was the day I killed a man for the first time.” 1 likes
“It was the members of the public who didn't seem to care what was happening on the streets around them, who hurried on by when they saw crimes being committed, too cowardly to intervene. Sometimes it seemed like the 'them' was everyone, and the 'us' was simply me, a lone copper engaged in a one-man battle against the injustices of the world.” 1 likes