Start by marking “Draupadi: The Fire Born Princess” as Want to Read:
Draupadi: The Fire Born Princess

Draupadi: The Fire Born Princess

Published January 1st 2013 by Campfire

To ask other readers questions about Draupadi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Draupadi

Parth
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing graphic novel....loved it.

Everybody should read it, especially for kids. This is the best way to teach and make them to read our great stories of mythology. Parents, go and grab this GN for your kids… they’ll love it.

My rating:-4.5/5
Shravanthi
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the art. Beautiful beginning to the story. In the middle it felt a little rushed. As someone who is familiar with Mahabharata I could follow the story and fill in certain gaps and side-stories. But for a first time reader this would seem intense and confusing. The actual courtroom scene was the best in the entire graphic novel!
Padma Baliga
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Good work, but not liberatory enough
Boiling
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A great overview of the story of Draupadi from Mahabharata in comic book format. Not too complex or detailed
Jaydeep
Wandering Librarians
Princess Draupadi rises from a sacred fire after her father's prayers. She is to be married to her love, Arjuna, a Pandava prince. But Draupadi's destiny surprises even her, as she finds she must marry Arjuna's four brothers as well. Her husband's cousins, the Kauravas do everything in their power to hurt her family and bring down the Pandavas. Draupadi discoveries her purpose is to bring about the end of the Kauravas.

I didn't love it. I appreciated the telling of a myth that we don't often get
Gurdeep Singh
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure if I can objectively review this book but, to me it was a quite disappointing. It will probably appeal only to those who are first-timers, being introduced to this complex narrative with it's complex characters.

I expected the tale to be from Draupadi's point of view with more depth of perspective (maybe even a feminist perspective) on the events from The Mahabharat. Saraswati Nagpal's Draupadi is almost a copy of the B.R. Chopra T.V. version with it's linear narratives and mainstrea
Tirzah
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a blind book. Picked up at library, covered in wrapping paper. The library was hosting a raffle for books to be surprised by. This was one of my unknown picks. At first I rolled my eyes because of its comic book style, which I never cared for. However I gave it a whirl and s actually found it kind of fun to read. Something different than what I normally would have chosen. I was pleasantly surprised even though I won't be picking up another like it willfully anytime soon.
Siddharth Singh
All in all, a good effort at creating an Indian mythology based graphic novel however I feel slightly disappointed by the storytelling.

I felt some important story arcs were wrapped up too quickly while there were others that dragged on needlessly. Granted this was an effort aimed at presenting us the epic from Draupadi's point of view however it could all have been presented in a much better manner.
Hester
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, india
This helped explain some of what I missed in "Krishna: Defender of Dharma." I wondered who this woman was who married five brothers! I understand much more now.

Unfortunately, the art does not give the five brothers very distinct faces, so I had trouble telling them apart. Now I want to understand how Arjuna & Draupadis' polygamous and polyandrous marriage worked!
Divya
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015, owned
If you are new to the story of Mahabharath and want to know about it briefly, then you should definitely pick this up as it is fast paced and the 111 pages filled with illustrations make it an interesting read. However I would have loved to read a more in-depth version too with more details which I felt were missing.
Ananya Mandal
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Draupadi is one of my favorite characters. This book thus was a must buy. Saraswati Nagpal's Sita impressed me a lot when I had read it. This surpassed Sita. Loved her narration as well as the illustrations! Graphic novels in India have come of Age!
Mathew Carruthers
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Indian lore, very well-written and illustrated.
Aylu Potluri
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book.. Nice drawings ..
Tathagata Kandar
Jan 12, 2015
Robin
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Good retelling of the complicated Mahabharata. Beautifully illustrated..
Prashant Garg