Start by marking “Sooner Dead” as Want to Read:
Sooner Dead

Sooner Dead (Gamma World)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews

Humanoid buffalo and armadillo bikers in post-apocalyptic Oklahoma!

A bio-engineered super-soldier named Hella and her mutant buffalo sidekick Stampede clash with armadillo bikers and inter-dimensional mutants across the ragged landscape of Gamma-Oklahoma.

This is a fast-paced story of adventure, mixed with liberal doses of humor, in a post-apocalyptic science-fantasy world

Mass Market Paperback, Alternate Cover for 978-0-7869-5736-1, 307 pages
Published February 2011 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sooner Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sooner Dead

Travis
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sooner Dead by Mel Odom

Sooner Dead is the first book in the newly released Gamma World line of novels. Sooner Dead is also a stand-alone novel, meaning you shouldn't need any prior knowledge of Gamma World to understand it. Gamma World is a setting of Dungeons and Dragons, set in a post-apocalyptic version of the world we currently live in. Mel Odom has written a vast number of novels. He wrote three books in the Time Police series with Warran C. Norwood (Trapped!, Stranded!, and Refugee), a You
Derek
In comparison to Paul Kidd's Red Sails in the Fallout, Odom here plays it straight, or at least as straight as one can when one protagonist is a bisonoid with earthquake powers and the other transforms her hands into machine pistols. The winking gonzo writing of Red Sails is gone, and has been replaced with something that is not quite grit, but is straightforward about the situation, accepting the silliness of the entire enterprise without succumbing to it--yes, that is a tree-climbing web-spinn ...more
MegaDude
After slogging through Stephen King's 11/22/63 (starts strong, ends weak), I was in the mood for something a little lighter. I wanted crazy mutants, radiated landscapes, and lots of action. Not as guns and ammo as Deathlands, but more like Gamma World in a book, and after some looking around, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there are in fact a couple of Gamma World novels, both published just this year.

So I bought them both and just finished the first one, Sooner Dead by Mel Odom, and it
Joel Flank
Adventure in the wild rollicking post-apocalyptic Gamma World. This is the old-school post-apocalypse, where radiation mutates everything into creatures with amazing powers, not the modern apocalypse where everything is grim and dark. Enter Hella and Stampede, here mutated Buffalo friend. They're guides and guards, and are hired to escort some scientists from a secluded city into the wilderness. There's a lot of tension between the pure blooded human scientists and their retinue, and their rough ...more
Jeremy
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a bit more serious that "Red Sails in the Fallout", as well as being more "real" (with regular animals such as deer and rabbits everywhere, very little mention of alpha mutations, more current age weapons and equipment, etc.). I didn't like it as much as Red Sails, but it was still a very fun read and I hope we get more Gamma World novels in the near future; if they can keep them coming like this Gamma World will soon be my favorite Wizards/TSR novel setting.
Mike
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general, ebook
A nice, light, post-apocalyptic adventure based on the new edition of the roleplaying game. Solid characters for the genre, a coherent plot that shows us something of the world, and overall a pretty good book even if it's not dazzling.

My only complaints would be that in the first quarter there seemed to be some editing slips, and the pacing in the second half is somewhat off compared to the slow march of the first half.
David
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Took me a bit to get into but once I did I enjoyed it well enough. Being an old school Gamma World fan, I'm not sure what I think of the world they created for this edition but it is fun to read a Gamma World story for a change. Worth reading if you like sci-fantasy.
Robert Carlberg
Great book. Wish the new version of Gamma World would have appealed to others. I really like what the author did with the book. Some really great ideas. Really liked the 2 main characters, and I really would have enjoyed reading more if it had continued.
Dustin
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tie-in, sci-fi, future
It was a fun little action-adventure yarn, heavier on the action than the adventure compared the other Gamma World novel. Decent characters, ok plot, things wrapped up a little quickly but on the whole I enjoyed it.
Raul
Aug 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Only interesting in sections, the level of prose is fairly low and the story, disjointed and lacking continuity. The death of Pardot, pagan, violent and unnecessary. I cannot recommend this book.
Leonard
Fairly decent story set in my favorite role-playing universe. Mutated buffalo men, what else do you need?
Legend
Feb 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good start to what will hopefully be an ongoing series of Gamma World books. An enjoyable guilty pleasure of a read.
Vic Ing
Kyja
Apr 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

aka Jordan Gray

Mel Odom is a bestselling writer for hire for Wizards of the Coast's Forgotten Realms, Gold Eagle's Mack Bolan, and Pocket's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel book lines. His debut SF novel Lethal Interface made the Locus recommended list . The Rover was an Alyx Award winner. He has also written
More about Mel Odom...