Start by marking “Hamburgers and Fries” as Want to Read:
Hamburgers and Fries

Hamburgers and Fries

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Acclaimed food writer and cultural historian John T. Edge continues his sumptuous feast of a series on iconic American foods-with recipes included.

With Fried Chicken and Apple Pie, John T. Edge launched a series of short books that celebrate American culture through the lore of our favorite foods. Now, with Hamburgers & Fries, Edge continues his quest to discover the
Published June 23rd 2005 by Putnam Adult

Greg Brozeit
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Hamburgers & Fries: An American Story is not about politics. It is culinary history and travel writing. But as I read the book, I couldn’t help but think about politicians and others who opine about a “real” America; that it is Christian, that it is based on a white, Anglo-Saxon heritage, or that the essence of the country can be condensed into simplified symbols. I think Edge’s book is an eloquent statement about pluralism—the antithesis of what self-serving Americans describe as exceptiona ...more
Melissa
Feb 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
I saw this book at the library on display. I think I was hungry, so the picture cover picture lured me in. It ended up not being at all what I thought it was going to be. A mix between the history of hamburgers and a cookbook. Very dry and full of details I could care less about - like cost of burgers in different states. And nothing about fries, despite what the title suggests. Unless you love hamburgers and are dying to know every fact about them, don't read this.
Rianna
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Less history than I thought there would be, more of a book version of that Anthony Bourdain show, but still cute. Fast read - 3 hrs. Contains recipes for different burger variations. One huge problem: In N Out not covered!
Lindsay
Sep 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
Surprisingly pretentious for a book about plain ol' burgers and fries...
Julia Rojas
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. It has facts and recipes in it. Some of the recipes sound delicious. I liked the restaurant list at the end. This book gets the low rating because it was kind of boring.
Miriam
Oct 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: food, sociology
Not very good and also not about fries. John Edge traveled around the country eating different hamburgers and telling us about them.
Bookworm
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
More like a blog about his travels than a book. I actually came across this book via an upcoming book of his and saw this was ready at the library. It was time for a different type of book so I thought this would be a good read. I'm not much of a foodie and am quite happy with a hamburger and fries if I'm in that type of eatery.

It's sort of a history of hamburgers. The opening was quite interesting to read (although it's not true as Edge points out right after) and then the book pretty much go
Tripp
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Despite quite liking them, I haven't given much thought to the making of hamburgers. I tend to throw in a few odds and ends and then cook them. This is probably why my hamburgers are crappy. With a non-beef eating spouse I don't get to make them that much anyway. Still, I would like to make one that I would want to eat. John T Edge has quite a few ideas on how I might do that in his Hamburger & Fries: An American Story.

While there are quite a few recipes here (one of which calls for beef tal
Russ
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is non-edible but great if you are a fan of hamburgers and would like to know more about their history.
Rick Segers
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one a four part series of books on uniquely American foods written by John Edge of the Southern Foodways Alliance. these are great books for foodies of course but also for fans of the particular foods. All feature great background and recipes.
Lauren
Jul 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mmmmm, burgers. Mmmmm, fries. There are even recipes included for those braver than I. Of course, if someone were to make some of these burgers FOR me, well, I just might give 'em a try. Slider-style.
Rodney
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If I wrote a book about hamburgers, this is almost exactly how I'd imagine the writing. Treated the subject with respect, offered insights, a unique voice and interesting historical facts. The version of the book in my head only adds pages of beautiful burger photography :)
Minneapolani
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I love John T Edge, and think that overall, his books are great, but this one has more books on the topic to compare itself to, and I find it falls in the middle of the pack, burger book wise.
Jim
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Edge travels across the country researching the history of the burger and all its regional variations . . . great food and travel writing
Allison
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a fun series to read if you're a foodie. I learned a few things about hamburgers and their history. Also included are a ton of recipes, which is always appreciated.
Andrew
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is John T. Edge doing what he does best.
Shelley (Lavendar)
Anthropological tour de farce on the American Hamburger.
Ross