Start by marking “Trial By Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)” as Want to Read:
Trial By Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)

Trial By Fury (J.P. Beaumont #3)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  3,368 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow (first published December 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Trial By Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial By Fury

Sheila
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series of police dramas but I got turned off by the narration in the audiobook and switched to large print book instead. In this book J.P. Beaumont is investigating what appears to be a lynching of a black basketball coach in a primarily white school in Seattle. On closer investigation there is a lot more going on. I gave it 4 stars.

I previously read this book in Dec. 2010 but didn't realize it until well into the book.
Steve
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading some of the newer Beaumont novels, I went back with a list to the library and began reading the early ones. Jance certainly knows what she's doing, and has consistently provided an exciting story, plot development and character development.

This one is showing its age, though. Imagine fumbling through your pocket for quarters for the pay phone, or driving to the state capitol to get a motor vehicle registration printout. Makes you wonder how we got along without the internet...
Dalene
Aug 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
J.P. Beaumont and his partner find a list that tells everything. I haven't read J.A. Jance for quite a while. I really enjoy the character Beaumont. This read has several moments where I laughed out loud and other moments that were thought provoking. Very good mystery story.
Judy
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good mystery by Jance. The Beaumont character is so different from Johanna Brady. I like the setting and both characters, and will continue with both series.
Dyana
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeh - this book is the 3rd in the series and the 1st one where Detective J.P. Beaumont doesn't fall in love with a deranged female murderer. Someone else in the book does. If the reader has read future books in the series, this is the book where we find out how Beau's partner, Ron Peters, becomes paralyzed.

A nude black High School coach, Darwin Ridley, is discovered behind a dumpster at a Seattle grocery store. He was the basketball coach at a prestigious all-white high school on Mercer Island.
Thomas Bruso
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In her usual page-driven narrative, J. A. Jance delivers another fast-paced suspense story like no other author working today. It is a riveting, aggressive work of fiction at its very best.

"Trial By Fury," a third solid homerun in the ongoing J. P. Beaumont mystery series, unravels a gruesome discovery for the acerbic detective in the form of a high school coach. Left behind a dumpster, the body is later identified as Darwin Ridley, a victim of a hate crime--a lynching, no less.

The story moves a
Phyllis
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The dead body discovered in a Seattle dumpster was shocking enough--but equally disturbing was the manner of death. The victim, a high school coach, had been lynched, leaving behind a very pregnant wife to grieve over his passing, and to wonder what dark and disturbing secrets he took to his grave. A homicide detective with twenty years on the job, J.P. Beaumont knows this case is a powder keg and he fears where this investigation will lead him. Because the answers lie on the extreme lethal edge ...more
Karen
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another decent mystery/police procedural by Jance. Beaumont is trying to figure out who killed a coach. The man left behind a pregnant wife, but it seems that he is not a perfect husband. Beau hates to think that his wife had something to do with his murder.

One thing that separates Jance's books stand separate from many other series, is that the books can stand by themselves outside of the series. If you pick one up from the middle of the series you will still enjoy the book, and find
Megargee
I think the only fictional detectives who log more time in their vehicles than Beaumont and Peters are Tony Hillerman's Navajo tribal policemen Leaphorn and Chee and they have to cover the whole Navajo nation. Part way through this third novel in the Beaumont series, my wife and I downloaded a map of the Seattle are so we could follow their paths as they shuttled back and forth across the lake interviewing witnesses (always in restaurants) and following various leads as they investigate the app ...more
Lenny Findley
This book was both the most and least enjoyable of the J.P.Beaumont series so far. Beau was at his most erasable self in this book, but I found the ending unsatisfying. The development of the story was great, but then you find out who did it and bang she gets killed in a car wreck. Peters survives, but you're left hanging. I'm left with very mixed feelings about the book.

I've read all of the Ally Reynolds books, and most of the Joanna Brady books, and had started reading J.P. Beaumont books as I
Neil Mudde
Another great read by Jance, filled with all sorts of characters that kept me glued to the book, good heavens there were twists and turns which I really do not want to give away in order to spoil the reading of the book for others.
The book is filled with love, of sorts, racism, twisted personalities, and several surprises, as sometime I felt I knew were the author was going, or thought I did, and surprise, surprise the story took on a total different conclusion.
As a gay male, I tend to be sensit
Nancy
Starte this one today and read the whole thing. it helped that I was in the car for 6-7 hours and that my husband was listening to a tedious Tom Clancy audiobook (I admit - my fault because I checked it out of the library for him since we were going on a 6-day road trip). The other books I am reading require more concentration; this I could read with the background distraction. It is not the best J. P. Beaumont mystery but it kept me entertained. An African-American basketball coach (at an elite ...more
Heather
The dead body discovered in a Seattle dumpster was shocking enough—but equally disturbing was the manner of death. The victim, a high school coach, had been lynched, leaving behind a very pregnant wife to grieve over his passing, and to wonder what dark secrets he took to his grave. A Homicide detective with twenty years on the job, J.P. Beaumont knows this case is a powder keg and he fears where this investigation will lead him. Because the answers lie on the extreme lethal edge of passion and ...more
Norma
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jance never disappoints..this time Beaumont is on the trail of the killer of a high school basketball coach. I know Seattle only slightly, but, some of the places are familiar and I always wonder 'Does that restaurant or that school or that hotel really exist?' I'm saving all of these re-reads for whenever it's time to go to "the home".... Or maybe I'll become a fan of Audio books. I hope that's a good many years away and they'll all sound vaguely familiar and I'll figure out who the killer is b ...more
Deborah Darsie
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mystery
JP Beaumont is a curmudgeonly Seattle PD detective and he is still trying to find his path in relation to the vast inheritance (see the 1st book!) and the impact of that on the way he is perceived professionally.

I really enjoy reading the Beaumont books which take place near where I live. References to neighborhoods, venues and geography make the read that much more absorbing.

The murder plot was convoluted, since there are a few potential directions which the violence could have come from.

(sem
Chris
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kcgood
The book opens with a lynching, and still, it had such a slow beginning, I almost gave up. Not sure what made it drag. But it did eventually pick up and finish strongly. Jance also ends up addressing and discrediting both the racial stereotypes that seem to motivate the crime and a brief homophobic description that marred the first book. (It was only a couple of sentences long, but still.) The supposed pedophile, the supposed victim, the supposed defenders of the innocent...don't hang onto any o ...more
Cherisse
Donna Mcnab
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A high school football coach is found dead, apparently having been stripped and hung. When J. P. Beaumont and his partner, Ron Peters, go to inform his wife, they find her very pregnant and due in two weeks. Should they suspect a pregnant woman, or should they look farther afield for the murderer? These Beaumont novels are great and I now need to get to the next one to find out what is happening in the life of Beau, who recently purchased an interest in a condo building and is about to move into ...more
Joan
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Beau and his partner are called in to find the killer of a championship basketball coach. The coach is black so the detectives don't know if the killing is based on race. The games the cheer leaders are playing each year is appalling. The coach's pregnant wife was going to divorce him. There are many clues that lead in different directions. Beau's partner is injured and the book ends with him caring for the girls. Beau is always a kind and careful man. Good story with a few disgusting parts.
Stephanie Benoit
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, well I flew through that book with only a little eyestrain and dry corneas. These books really hook and drag me in.

I am beginning to feel either the author or the character, Beau, or both, are a little disrespectful when describing some of the overweight characters. It really does bug me. We'll see if it continues in the next book. I don't appreciate some of these characterizations. Maybe I am a bit oversensitive but the prejudice is jarring to me and I knocked a star off because of it. I w
Jan
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had deja vu all the way through this book. I know I've read it in the last few years, but had no proof so, I skimmed through it again. JP Beaumont lives in the 80s-90s Seattle that I lived in. We didn't hang out in the same places, but it is fun to visit his haunts such as the now-defunct Doghouse. The mystery was a big ol twister that ends up changing Beaumont's life and the lives of those around him. Not scary like Lehane, but as thrilling as Connelly. Will read more of this series.
Dorothy
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great look at the way things were in the late 19802. The lead detective JP Beaumont openly make homophobic comments about gay men. There is a lot of sexist speech that goes unchallenged. But the really nice thing about reading this book is that the biggest argument regarding technology is whether to put in an answering machine or not. Still in the innocent age of not being gadgeted to death. Good story, moves fast and explores a number of police and family issues
Ed
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#3 in the J.P. Beaumont series. Finalist 1987 Anthony Award for Best Mystery.

J.P. Beaumont, Seattle police detective, investigates the body of a nude black man found behind a dumpster - evidence shows he was hung before being dumped. The victim was a high school basketball coach with a very pregnant wife. The case leads to the high school's cheerleaders, their faculty advisor, the principal, and the life threatening injury of his partner, Ron Peters.

KDawn
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bonnie
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very disturbing idea that teenage girls would cause so much hurt and pain to so many people. I felt even though they started the pain as a joke, they were victims as well of an evil person who began to kill so many people. Harshness towards the perpetrator was how JP Beaumont felt, and I agreed with him completely. Sometimes the difference between bad and good is not so obvious, but in this it was. I enjoyed the book.
April
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
I would give this 3.5 stars. I liked it but not as much as the previous Beaumont book. In this one, Beau and Peters are investigating the death of a high school basketball coach. A good mystery, but I had it pretty much figured out. I like mysteries that keep me guessing.
It was exciting towards the end, when Peters is missing and Beau is searching and solving the crime at the same time.
Overall an enjoyable book.
LadyCalico
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Beaumont books and a very fast and exciting read. I have read several of the later books and know the character after he's dry and matured, both by aging and applying the wisdom he's picked up in AA, so I really enjoyed reading a story from the point of view of the much younger heavy-drinking, hung-over, quick-tempered Beau. Jance did a wonderful job of growing-up this character in future novels, but the younger hell-raiser is more fun.
Karen
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the first I've read of this series and I'll definitely go back and start at #1. I enjoyed the Seattle setting late 80s timeframe. J.P. has some crotchety characteristics that make him seem older than his age (40s?) and I enjoy his rants. The narrator is a hott--his different characters sound like John Wayne, Sam Elliott, Ronald Reagan, George Bush.
Carole Anderson
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J.A. Jance is one of my favorite authors. I first fell in love with Joanna Brady, then found J.P. Beaumont. I found the Beaumont books after she had written several, so Ron Peters was always paralyzed - not I know the whole story. As always, my attention never wavers during the book and I have to read the whole thing from start to finish. This was another great story!!!
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • A Brace of Bloodhounds
  • The Seduction of Peter S.
  • The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Dark Wind (Leaphorn & Chee, #5)
  • Black Hearts and Slow Dancing (Mac Fontana, #1)
  • Canto for a Gypsy
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Cast In Stone (Leo Waterman, #2)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • Death of an Artist: A Mystery
  • The Alpine Betrayal (Emma Lord, #2)
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • The British Cross (November Man, #4)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

J.P. Beaumont (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont, #2)
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)

“In the world of murder and mayhem, liars are losers. And they’re usually guilty.” 0 likes
“When are you going to give up and accept the inevitable? Automation and microchips are here to stay.” 0 likes