Start by marking “Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)” as Want to Read:
Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)

Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga #5)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,625 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In Through Wolf's Eyes, Jane Lindskold introduced Firekeeper, the young girl raised by intelligent, language-using wolves. Abducted back into human society, Firekeeper found that, in the world of deadly human political intrigues, her training as a pack animal served her well.

Later, in Wolf Captured, Firekeeper and her lupine companion Blind Seer found themselves kidnapped
Published April 4th 2006 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Hunting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf Hunting

White Fang by Jack LondonThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonThe Sight by David Clement-DaviesJulie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead GeorgeShiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Best Books about Wolves
189 books — 201 voters
Cry Wolf by Patricia BriggsHunting Ground by Patricia BriggsKiss of Snow by Nalini SinghCaressed by Ice by Nalini SinghPlay of Passion by Nalini Singh
Wolf/Dog
149 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Férial
3.5 stars.

Slower and a bit of boredom would loom from time to time.

I don't understand this meddler's thing and his utlimate motives (things might get clearer in the last book though, so there's still hope that I'll be enlightened).

Not much to say. A new journey for some of the main characters and quite a surprise for Derian at the end of it. Magic users are still depicted as evil even if we get hints here and there that there might be a bright side to the force ;)

I guess that in the last book, t
MK
Jun 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Bought this book once it came out and read it in less than a week. It was a good book and not dissatisfying from the other Wolf books but I do like the first few a bit better though the Meddler seems up to some nice tampering with our hearos' lives...
Accalia
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collection-read
I still like the first three the books the most but this story did as they all did : it dragged me in and made me want to learn more.
Lise
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again my son and I read about Firekeeper together and once again we were richer for it. I believe this is the only advantage to having a child with a serious case of dyslexia. In spite of his age we get to sit side by side enjoying a story that takes us a to place out of time and away from our world. Both of us have Firekeeper and Blind Seer as our favorite characters. Part of that is due to the kind of fatalism on their part that comes from having to fight for survival since childhood. I b ...more
Dassi
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elise
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that Firekeeper and Blind Seer are the main characters of this series, but it would be nice to see more of the Hawk Haven, or even the Bright Bay characters. We do hear from Elise and Doc again in this book, which I admit made me squee. Those two are my favorite characters. And they've finally dealt with their relationship issues.
And poor Firekeeper, finding yet another way that might give her wolf shape, and again having to pass it by due to the high risk.
I feel so sorry for Derian. He
Alex
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-in-2009
An excellent read, just like every other book in this series has been so far. I have to say, I did like the books set on the mainland (Through Wolf's Eyes, Wolf's Head Wolf's Heart, Dragon of Despair somewhat better than the ones set in Liglim [[book: Wolf Captured], Wolf Hunting, and possibly Wolf's Blood, I haven't read it yet), but even those I like less I still loved reading. I can't think of much else to say right now, besides that it was a great book!
Carol
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Wolf Hunting is the penultimate volume in the series, and unlike most of the other books, it is not entirely self-contained. It really demands a sequel. In Wolf Hunting, Firekeeper, Derian, Blind Seer, and an assortment of human and animal companions go chasing off after a pair of mysterious twins who have uncovered some long-hidden magics. When Firekeeper and her group find the twins, they also make discoveries that bring them into contact with many things that had been lost to their world for ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the strongest book in the series but still a good read. I wholeheartedly recommend it. These books have very simple storylines and don't require alot of thinking. Great if you are looking for an easy light read. At this stage in the series the characters are growing in complexity and depth. You get emotionally invested in what happens to you favorite characters. There was some parts that seemed to jump around a bit and got a little bit confusing but those moments were few and far between. If ...more
Aelvana
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's #5 in the Firekeeper series, and I would strongly encourage reading the prior ones before picking this up. Not because you'd get lost, but because there's so much interesting stuff going on in all of them. This was not quite as strong as the one before it, but I attribute that to the rather muddled ending. It was moving along quite strongly, but the end seemed to come at a time when another hundred pages or so would've done better. I get the feeling some of that plot was trimmed to put it i ...more
Cayleigh
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firekeeper and Blind Seer are still in Liglam, living on the Island as Alpha's in their own little pack. About a year has passed since the events in Wolf Captured and everything is going well...that is until the Jaguar Truth starts going extremely downhill in her mental state and requests that Firekeeper help her regain sanity. A mysterious entity called The Meddler is in the background leading the group towards a destination in a neighboring country in a search to find two magically inclined tw ...more
Allen Garvin
Some of the wonder of the earlier books is gone, but it's still a solid, compelling novel. The thoughtful earlier themes of Firekeeper's interacting with a society that doesn't understand her, those are mostly gone. Instead, we get a not entirely interesting story of magic, of unseen manipulators who have twisted events throughout history. It's mainly the strength of the well-realized characters that keeps the story going.
Megalion
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read books 1-4 years ago closer to their publication date but this and the last were new to me.

Firekeeper's adventures and travels were already that of an epic saga and Lindskold keeps it fresh with even more new territories and people for Firekeeper and Blind Seer to deal with.

My attention did drag at times but I suspect it was more to my own state of mind and not so much any lacking on the story here.
Allisyn
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She has really hit her stride with this series! We get to see more of her incredible world-building and learn more about the magic system of her world as well as follow most of our favorite characters from past books into a new adventure! And at the end it is set-up for long story arc of new adventures with plenty of directions for the series to take.
Kate
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this book was awful. I kept reading and telling myself that it had to get better. I was so bored that I put this book away and read a bunch in between putting it down and when I picked it back up. The only thing that saved this book is the last 1/3 of the book was great. I'm so glad I kept reading but I hope the next book isn't so slow and boring in the beginning.
Unwisely
OK, so, while the writing kept me engrossed, overall I didn't *like* the book. One of the major issues in the series is resolved off-screen, and I don't like what happens to people. Plus there's a new villain, and I'm not sure I care. Of course I'm getting the next one out of the library, but, well, it's with less enthusiasm than I've had for some of them. (Yeah, not exactly scathing.)
June
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic
I had a little more trouble with this one. A disembodied trickster spirit... Plus, the story moves to a nexus island between the new and old worlds. New characters, but not as appealing or likeable. I've finished it though I am having problems starting the next. Maybe 3 and a half?
Jennifer Sigman
This and the previous book blend together. Many odd things have happened by the end of this book, and no-one is unscathed.

You can tell the author is running out of steam, tho. It'll be interesting to see how things come to an end in the next book.
Rebecca
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the series since the first, and a return to the adventure and fast movement that made the first Firekeeper books so absorbing. They'd kind of gotten a little bogged down, but this shook the series up and got it moving again.
Paul
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Probably more of a 3.7. I wasn't happy with the abundance of expository writing, and some other style issues like repeated words. The level of writing didn't seem to match the previous books. I wonder if the author used a different editor or was under some kind of time pressure.
Kendra
Bk 5, in the series. The author packs a lot of info into these books, very impressive. Some interesting twists and turns, wasn't totally sure how I felt about it. But a good read!
Nicolle
I really enjoyed the Wolf series up until now but I dislike some of the key plot points in this book and have drastically they affected characters.
Laura Bozeman
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every book in this series.
Sara
Although I really enjoyed the first Firekeeper book, and didn't dislike the second, their appeal for me has gone downhill since.
Bobp0303
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The whole Wolf series is great fun, with ponderable points throughout. Very good read.
Jennifer Chin
Slow to get started, as in.. the first 2/3, but then the last third redeemed it. Almost.
Melissa
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've enjoyed this series about a girl who was raised by intelligent wolves who is found and brought to live with people. It's a fantasy series, so magic and so forth.
Amy Amante
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes my mind blown, her ideas are so unique. Wolf hunting is the first book I've read in all of her book, and I really love it..surely I'm going to find and collect all of this series.
LauraMichele
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To read
Cindy
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This is a great series. Wolves, medieval setting, magic - what more could you want? Well, a good plot and this has that too!
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • Sword and Sorceress XIII
  • The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)
  • The Wolf King (Legends of the Wolf #3)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Silver Moons, Black Steel (Wolfwalker, #6)
  • Shattered Dance
  • Dark Moon (Firebringer, #2)
  • Dark Hours (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #5)
  • A Host of Dragons (Dragon Delasangre, #4)
  • Pigs Don't Fly  (Pigs Don't Fly, #2)
Jane Lindskold is the author of more than twenty published novels, including the six volume Firekeeper Saga (beginning with Through Wolf’s Eyes), Child of a Rainless Year (a contemporary fantasy set in Las Vegas, New Mexico), and The Buried Pyramid (an archeological adventure fantasy set in 1880's Egypt).

Lindskold is also the author of the “Breaking the Wall” series, which begins with Thirteen Orp
More about Jane Lindskold...

Firekeeper Saga (6 books)
  • Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)