Start by marking “Lost Boy” as Want to Read:
Lost Boy

Lost Boy

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Published March 11th 2008 by David Fickling Books (first published October 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Boy

Karlan
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: age 10-14
Recommended to Karlan by: favorite author
When his family moves to a new town, Matt falls in with the wrong boys at first. His initials are the same as those of a boy who was killed in a biking accident, and he comes to believe that there is a ghost. The supernatural idea is treated subtly in this realistic novel. The adult characters are well done and the issues Matt must deal with are resolved as he learns when to consult others and when to keep a secret.
Kayla
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IT WAS GOOD...IT HAD GOOD WORDING. THE BOOK CONTAINS A CREEPY OLD DUDE WHO THE MAIN CHARACTER THINK HE WILL KILL HIM
Daniel
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lost Boy is one of the worst books I have ever read. It was hard to read and used wierd british language that made it hard to understand. It is about this kid who is riding his bike down the street and when he turns the corner, he thinks he sees a car and swerves out of control. It was really only his imagination. But when he comes to a stop, he finds this tree with his initials carved in it. The tree is a tombstone. Then he meets these kids who hate this old man. The old man is really nice, but ...more
Chelsea Serrano
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really surprised me. I just bought it because I love the feel of the cover and the title is very intriguing. I'll admit I was a bit lost with my own personal life at that time and came across this beautiful book. When I read the prologue at the back I was hooked.

Coming across it was unintentional because I haven't really known the author before. However, it suddenly became my new favorite. How she captivates the reader and keeps them interested is just plain amazing. It's a simple stor
Kyron
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lost Boy by Linda Newbery is an okay book. It didn't get my attention throughout the book. It's about a boy named Matt Lanchester that moves into a new town. When he rides his bike home he see his initials carved on a old tree. He is amazed to see his very own initials. The tree has a history to it too.Then he meets Robbo and Tig and Old Wil Jones and his wife, Gwynnie. There's a well kept village secret and Matt is desperate to find out more. His new friends like to taunt n taunting Wil - Wil, ...more
carissa
Recommended Ages: grades 4-7

New house, new school, new friends–but Matt Lanchester knows it won’t all be that easy when he moves to the town of Hay-on-Wye. Almost as soon as he arrives, he is drawn into a mystery when he sees a roadside memorial marked by a little wooden cross with the initials M.L. carved into it. His initials! Then he meets Robbo and Tig and Old Wil Jones and his wife, Gwynnie. There’s history here and a well-kept village secret–and Matt is desperate to find out more.
Marianne
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jr-ghost, young-adult
I read Linda Newbery's novel "At the Firefly Gate" and really enjoyed it so I was impressed to read her other book "Lost Boy." The author has a way of weaving a tale together that brings the past to the present and entwines the characters and readers. Although not as pleasing as her first this book is an easy and quick read for kids and is enjoyable. I would reccomend it as a light mystery/ghost story.
Beth
May 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm an extremely fast reader and can usually finish a 200 page book within 2-3 days if it really sparks my interest (sometimes even just one day). But this book took me like two weeks to finish which is a long time for me to be spending on a 200 page book.

The story meandered too much, it was hard to follow in places, and really only picked up by the last 30 or 40 pages. I would've abandoned this book had it not been for the fact that it was on our school's 6th grade summer reading list.
Melody
May 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a ghost story. Sort of. The central character may or may not be haunted by a dead kid. It's hard to care- the characters are all stock, cut from cardboard. The plot is recycled, and the prose merely adequate. I was disappointed by this book, though I did finish it just in case I'd guessed the ending wrong.
Molly
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the best book i ever read. some people hate the book. if they hate the book i hate them. its a great book.
Julie
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th and up
Shelves: mystery
Also a ghost story. Set in Wales.
Jackie Bacani
although the story's kid-centric, adults alike will enjoy reading this novel. i loved it! especially Gwilym and Jacko the Dog, Matt Lanchester and Wil Jones. :-)
Olivia
Nov 24, 2012
Mitchell Thornton
May 19, 2014
Mrs.
This book had a good message but was hard to track at times.
Lost Boy 1 2 Oct 07, 2009 03:54PM
Linda Iris Newbery (born 12 August 1952, in Romford, Essex) is a British writer known best for young-adult fiction—where she entered the market, although she has broadened her range to encompass all ages. She published her first novel Run with the Hare in 1988, while still working as an English teacher in a comprehensive school. She became a full-time writer in 2000.
Linda is a regular tutor for th
More about Linda Newbery...