Start by marking “Meg and Mog” as Want to Read:
Meg and Mog

Meg and Mog

(Meg and Mog)

Meg and Mog is the first in the long-standing series about a witch (Meg) and her cat (Mog). Meg is a cute well-meaning witch who lives with Mog and her owl. In Meg and Mog, we are introduced to a witch wardrobe and a witch's breakfast. Later Meg flies off to meet her witch friends for some spell-making at a Halloween Party. Unfortunately the spell does not go exactly to pl ...more
Published 1975 by Puffin Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Meg and Mog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meg and Mog

Start your review of Meg and Mog
Ken
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just had to included this as part of our spooky Halloween reads to our daughter, it's one that I can strongly remember from my own childhood.

Young readers will enjoy seeing exactly what a witch gets upto during the course of the night.
Meg has such a distinctive look about her that instantly appeals, whilst the rest of the illustrations are really fun too.
The bright colours really help this picture book standout.

A cute timeless classic!
Clouds
I've commented before on how hard it is to review picture books like this - I mean, by the time I've got into my flow here I'll have used more words than are contained within this entire book.

This is our second Meg and Mog book. We started with Meg on the Moon because I'm a sci-fi geek. Fin (my 18-month old son) loves that one very much, so we decided to get him the original for Christmas.

How hard is it to buy gifts for a toddler? We got him this book, some soap/crayons that you can draw with i
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a must have for every toddler. I know it looks very basic but they love the bright colours and this was the first book my son memorized as we read it so many times!
Abigail
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning Readers Who Enjoy Witchy Stories
Originally published in 1972, this initial entry in author Helen Nicoll and illustrator Jan Pieńkowski's Meg and Mog picture-books, about a witch named Meg, and her cat Mog, pairs a simple text with boldly graphic illustrations that will grab the young child's attention. Following Meg as she gets up, gets dressed, prepares breakfast, and sets out (with Mog) for a witches' spell party, the narrative has a repetitive quality that will aid beginning readers, while the artwork is colorful (primary a ...more
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4stars, reviewed
Wow this brings me back...

Loved this book with all my heart as a little one.
Elizabeth Jamieson
A nice book to read to children around Halloween. Does any of them celebrate Halloween? What do they dress up as?

Creating their own potions - they could each find an object in the class that they would like to put into the teacher’s cauldron. They are going to try and make a spell - what would they like to make a spell on?

Each of the children to make up a small spell, focussing on rhyming words and their object. Each child says their spell as they add the object into the cauldron!
Kate
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute classic children’s books about a witch and her cat. One evening they go out on an adventure with a group of other witches and together they all cast a spell, but the spell doesn’t go the way they wanted.
Karolina
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Meg and Mog is a picture book about Meg the witch and Mog her cat. They plan to go to a wild Halloween party with all the other witches. However, the spell they cast goes wrong and Meg turns all the witches into mice! The book is a brilliant combination of a magical story and beautiful pictures. It is a short read and the story would be ideal for circle time. It is perfect for sharing and reading alone. Children will love the vivid colours and they will be able to explore sounds and shapes. The ...more
Justine Cook
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Meg and mog were some of my favourite childhood reads. Through adult eyes, it's a bit wtf - but kids still love them. ...more
Zaz
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Entertaining and good for Halloween! The cat is cute and the adventure is easy to follow.
FM Family
This really brought out my childhood nostalgia though I can't remember ever reading it - the illustration style is just so of a time. My three year old liked it, especially the sequence of the witch getting dressed, which I could tell I would have loved as a kid too. Then she randomly got scared of it. I think this is a good accompaniment to the Funnybones series in that realm of harmless spookiness. Why are the UK authors so good at those books and in North America we don't really do them? But ...more
Sarah Smith
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have found children to absolutely love this book and so would highly recommend it for reading for pleasure. It is a simple story highlighting an exciting journey, it could be used as an introduction to writing a whole class adventure tale but I feel it would be more beneficial as a RFP book.
Gabby
This one is just such a classic and could be great to use when children have to write methods in year 2. It’s very simple to read and I know the children will love the adventures that Meg goes on.
Shannon
I hope everyone recognises this book. I had forgotten all about this series until I saw it in Dymocks back in July and was immediately transported back in time to my childhood. I LOVED these books, they were big when I was in, what, prep? Grade 1?

Originally published in 1972, this is the first book and I decided it was a good place to start - I've since added Mog's Missing, Meg's Eggs and a three-in-one volume that includes Mog at the Zoo, Meg's Veg and Meg Up the Creek. They are bold and disti
Freya
As a child I LOVED cats, and I'm probably quite sure I thought I was a witch (who doesn't?!). Needless to say I really liked these Meg and Mog books. ...more
Kasper
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Youngest halfling and I love these books. There is something so endearing in the simplistic imagination of the series. The vibrant illustrations are great too.
pratikhya
Mar 07, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
She’d tell me these totally unsuitable stories, get to a cliffhanger – and stop.

there is a sense of unease which remains upon finishing this picture book as it leaves one with questions to ponder upon. since it's my first picture book ever (i guess) it's a happy surprise to discover it doesn’t feel silly to a grown-up like me and it's fun reading aloud especially the onomatopoeias.

but at the same time, one is aware that picture books are a significant means by which we integrate young children
Charlotte
I’m currently on a children’s literature kick as a part of a Writing for Children course, starting out with a focus on picture books. My partner, bless his heart, decided to surprise me with a GIANT bag of picture books to enjoy, including a copy of Meg and Mog.

Published back in the 1970s, Meg and Mog is a classic for a reason. I never did have a copy myself growing up, but certainly it was on nursery/school shelves as I fondly remember the vivid primary colour palette and poor Mog’s outcry whe
Mathew
Meg and Mog have brought a lot of happiness to my family and me over the years. There is something so loveable about Meg’s constant spell-casting hiccups and Mog’s slightly erratic patience. This one, the first in the series, sees Meg preparing for a Halloween party. When she has gathered all her resources, she and Mog ascend through her gently curving chimney and sweep through the skies until they meet Meg's fellow witches. When Meg's catastrophic spell-casting ends up turning all her friends i ...more
Daniel
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to be able to read this old classic a second time round. I vaguely remember it from my childhood although I am nearly 31 years old now and those memories are starting to blur somewhat.

The Meg and Mog books have been enjoyed by countless number of children for many years. The illustrations are wonderful if not a little retro and the words are written in a very exciting and interesting way. Little ones will be sure to be reading along with you and the story line is always creative.

T
Meredith
Meg wakes up, gets ready, and flies off to perform a spell with her friends.

The text is short and simple, and the whimsical illustrations are stylized, uncluttered, and rendered in bright primary colors. The limited text and quirky artwork would make this a good Halloween book to share with younger readers.

This picture book has a rather odd ending. (view spoiler)
BOOK BOOKS
I WAS LOOKING FOR SOME CHILDREN'S PICTURE BOOKS WITH FEMALE PROTAGONISTS TO READ TO MY DAUGHTER AND A FRIEND OF MINE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THE SERIES WITH MEG THE WITCH AND HER CAT MOG. I BOUGHT THEM AND THEY ARE HORRIBLE. THE PICTURES ARE COLORFUL, BUT SO POORLY DRAWN. THE WRITING IS TERRIBLE. NO PUNCTUATION, REALLY WEIRD PLOTS THAT GO NOWHERE. NATURALLY, MY DAUGHTER ADORES THEM AND I HAVE TO READ THEM OVER AND OVER. ...more
Cerys Hopkin
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meg and Mog is the first children’s book in this series. It is a fun, enjoyable book for children (aged 2-4) to read. This book can be used in a educational setting or just for pleasure.

The books illustrations are simple for children to interpret which is suitable for the reading age. The book also has very simple sentences which is easier for children to follow.
Khansa Baig
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Meg and Mog are off to a wild Halloween party with all the other witches, but when they cast their Halloween spell, something goes wrong, and the spell goes off with a BANG!

The simple, bold and bright illustrations make this a perfect book for toddlers, who will love exploring all the colours, sounds and shapes. A good book for sharing or reading alone.
Layla Ashby
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witch-s-books
Haven’t read this original Meg and Mog book since I was a child. Nowadays they have a cartoon series of meg and mog. So I wanted to find the original book to read again, .. short book bright pictures.meg is a witch who lives with her cat mog. And goes on several adventures. Will read the newer books as well as rpthey wer not around when I was young.
Erik
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-children
The simple drawings and rich colors are very effective, and there are some really interesting page layouts. But the story goes nowhere, even for a book aimed at really young children. I can’t see many kids actually enjoying this.
Kristal
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Watched a reading of this on YouTube.

I really love the illustrations- they are so cute!
This is a simple story with a bit of humour and rhyme. A few large words are included, but not an overwhelming amount that would make it too difficult for new readers.
Sadia Mansoor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Witches have always been my one of the fav childhood characters <3
Love them for their obsession with Abracadabra spells :D
superawesomekt
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Delightful. Suitable for young children. We've added this to our Halloween library as I am a collector of seasonal books. ...more
Cassandra O'Leary
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my little boys' favourite books. We've actually read a collection of Meg books and they are all a delight. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Kipper
  • The Snowman
  • Owl Babies
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • The Gruffalo (Gruffalo, #1)
  • Rosie's Walk
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Not Now, Bernard
  • Frog on a Log?
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Aliens Love Underpants
See top shelves…
Helen Nicoll was born in Natland, Westmorland, in 1937. She was educated at schools in Bristol; Dartington Hall, Devon; and Froebel Education Institute, London. Helen Nicoll married Robert Kime in 1970 and they have one daughter and one son.

Helen Nicoll was a television producer with the BBC for many years. It was here, as Producer of the children's educational series WATCH, that she first met Jan

Meg and Mog (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Meg's Eggs