Start by marking “Meg and Mog” as Want to Read:
Meg and Mog

Meg and Mog

(Meg and Mog)

Meg and Mog is the first in the long-standing series about a witch (Meg) and her cat (Mog). Meg is a cute well-meaning witch who lives with Mog and her owl. In Meg and Mog, we are introduced to a witch wardrobe and a witch's breakfast. Later Meg flies off to meet her witch friends for some spell-making at a Halloween Party. Unfortunately the spell does not go exactly to pl ...more
Published 1975 by Puffin Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Meg and Mog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meg and Mog

Ova - Excuse My Reading
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a must have for every toddler. I know it looks very basic but they love the bright colours and this was the first book my son memorized as we read it so many times!
Clouds
I've commented before on how hard it is to review picture books like this - I mean, by the time I've got into my flow here I'll have used more words than are contained within this entire book.

This is our second Meg and Mog book. We started with Meg on the Moon because I'm a sci-fi geek. Fin (my 18-month old son) loves that one very much, so we decided to get him the original for Christmas.

How hard is it to buy gifts for a toddler? We got him this book, some soap/crayons that you can draw with i
Elizabeth Jamieson
A nice book to read to children around Halloween. Does any of them celebrate Halloween? What do they dress up as?

Creating their own potions - they could each find an object in the class that they would like to put into the teacher’s cauldron. They are going to try and make a spell - what would they like to make a spell on?

Each of the children to make up a small spell, focussing on rhyming words and their object. Each child says their spell as they add the object into the cauldron!
Kate
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute classic children’s books about a witch and her cat. One evening they go out on an adventure with a group of other witches and together they all cast a spell, but the spell doesn’t go the way they wanted.
Karolina
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Meg and Mog is a picture book about Meg the witch and Mog her cat. They plan to go to a wild Halloween party with all the other witches. However, the spell they cast goes wrong and Meg turns all the witches into mice! The book is a brilliant combination of a magical story and beautiful pictures. It is a short read and the story would be ideal for circle time. It is perfect for sharing and reading alone. Children will love the vivid colours and they will be able to explore sounds and shapes. The ...more
Justine Cook
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Meg and mog were some of my favourite childhood reads. Through adult eyes, it's a bit wtf - but kids still love them.
Emer (A Little Haze)
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4stars, reviewed
Wow this brings me back...

Loved this book with all my heart as a little one.
Zaz
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Entertaining and good for Halloween! The cat is cute and the adventure is easy to follow.
Sarah Smith
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have found children to absolutely love this book and so would highly recommend it for reading for pleasure. It is a simple story highlighting an exciting journey, it could be used as an introduction to writing a whole class adventure tale but I feel it would be more beneficial as a RFP book.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I hope everyone recognises this book. I had forgotten all about this series until I saw it in Dymocks back in July and was immediately transported back in time to my childhood. I LOVED these books, they were big when I was in, what, prep? Grade 1?

Originally published in 1972, this is the first book and I decided it was a good place to start - I've since added Mog's Missing, Meg's Eggs and a three-in-one volume that includes Mog at the Zoo, Meg's Veg and Meg Up the Creek. They are bold and disti
Lucy Sands
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow I am so pleased I have rediscovered this series! I have just been completely transported back in time reading the first book, ‘Meg and Mog’, with my toddler. Illustration wise I feel picture books have come a long way, but on the flip side these simplistic, bold and brightly coloured images do exude a certain charm and are actually quite captivating! There is lots of opportunity for interaction with counting, time telling and animal recognition. It’s a fast pace story that covers a recognisa ...more
Kasper
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Youngest halfling and I love these books. There is something so endearing in the simplistic imagination of the series. The vibrant illustrations are great too.
Freya
As a child I LOVED cats, and I'm probably quite sure I thought I was a witch (who doesn't?!). Needless to say I really liked these Meg and Mog books.
Daniel
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to be able to read this old classic a second time round. I vaguely remember it from my childhood although I am nearly 31 years old now and those memories are starting to blur somewhat.

The Meg and Mog books have been enjoyed by countless number of children for many years. The illustrations are wonderful if not a little retro and the words are written in a very exciting and interesting way. Little ones will be sure to be reading along with you and the story line is always creative.

T
Cerys Hopkin
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meg and Mog is the first children’s book in this series. It is a fun, enjoyable book for children (aged 2-4) to read. This book can be used in a educational setting or just for pleasure.

The books illustrations are simple for children to interpret which is suitable for the reading age. The book also has very simple sentences which is easier for children to follow.
Erik
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-children
The simple drawings and rich colors are very effective, and there are some really interesting page layouts. But the story goes nowhere, even for a book aimed at really young children. I can’t see many kids actually enjoying this.
Paul Browne
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A classic!!
Ethan
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Cute story with interesting art.
Craig Martin
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just an incredible book to read with the children. My daughter favourite bedtime book. I can recite every word with ease !
Shahrun
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this as a child. The vibrant illustrations have lost none of their magic now I’m all grown up (apparently). The offbeat story must be fun to read with a small child.
Kay Lea
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reception. Bright art, children can help out because of illustrations. Simple, super-short read.

COUNTING COLOURS TIME
Farah Neemat
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was small and I loved it.❤❤
My mom read it to me back when I was 5.
Rachel (aka Ms4Tune)
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cassie-reads
Read: 8th January 2018 (NR)

I love these books and so glad I found my copies to read with my little one. Great use of bold coloured spreads that really engage a small child.
Melissa Namba
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book for a toddler. A simple storyline and it emphasizes lists and pointing out objects. A nice Halloween theme to it. Not too scary for a toddler, while still dealing with magic.
Jenna Mills
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This brought back some childhood memories. Loved the big text and bold images. Actually really fun and my just turned 2yr old was rivited!
Karren
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Delightful. Suitable for young children. We've added this to our Halloween library as I am a collector of seasonal books.
Cassandra O'Leary
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my little boys' favourite books. We've actually read a collection of Meg books and they are all a delight.
Sadia Mansoor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Witches have always been my one of the fav childhood characters <3
Love them for their obsession with Abracadabra spells :D
Ceri
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved it. Quick read and full of goodness on every page.
Amy Lafleur Meyers
I read this as it's in the 1001 children's books to read book, but had never previously heard of it. I suppose that it might be a bit before my time. It's full of simple text, lots of rhyming names, and simple brightly colored illustrations. Meg and her cat Mog are getting ready to go to a witches' party. I liked how it showed in its simplicity what Meg put on to get dressed, what she put in her cauldron for breakfast, and what they put in a cauldron for their spell. However what confused me and ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Lavender's Blue
  • Good Night, Alfie Atkins
  • The Baby's Catalogue
  • Kipper
  • Maisy Goes to Preschool
  • Miffy
  • The Three Railway Engines (The Railway Series, #1)
  • Mister Magnolia
  • Tickle, Tickle
  • There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
  • Father Christmas
  • Mog the Forgetful Cat
Helen Nicoll was born in Natland, Westmorland, in 1937. She was educated at schools in Bristol; Dartington Hall, Devon; and Froebel Education Institute, London. Helen Nicoll married Robert Kime in 1970 and they have one daughter and one son.

Helen Nicoll was a television producer with the BBC for many years. It was here, as Producer of the children's educational series WATCH, that she first met Jan

Meg and Mog (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Meg's Eggs