Jump to ratings and reviews

Zen Soup: Tasty Morsels of Wisdom from Great Minds East & West

If, as the I Ching says, thoughts are spirits, then this collection of highly distilled thoughts from history's greatest philosophers and religious figures will certainly put you in good spirits. Laurence Boldt has long made a practice of applying Zen principles to everyday life. Here he applies wisdom from all corners of the world to twenty-five aspects, or qualities, associated with the Zen tradition. The result is a soup of the most hearty and wholesome kind, well-seasoned with age, and filled with delicious

"Where your talents and the needs of the world cross, thence lies your vocation." — Aristotle

"A man with outward courage dares to A man with inward courage dares to live." — Lao Tzu

You'll also find Flip Wilson on living in the moment; Will Rogers on the beginner's mind; Helen Keller on courage; Chekhov on self-confidence; Colette on joy. Each chapter includes an entertaining and informative essay that explains the principle and its application to Zen wisdom. The rest is up to you. Read it in one gulp or savor each morsel. Either way, Zen Soup is sure to whet your spiritual appetite as it nourishes your soul.

190 pages, Paperback

7 books15 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (8%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Magali Williams.
44 reviews
December 2, 2020
This book was okay to read and did give me a better understanding of the principles of zen.
It's told almost entirely through quotes, which was okay, I guess. My biggest issue was that 90% of the quotes are from men. It was really annoying to only see maybe 5 women's quotes throughout an almost 200-page book.
That's not to say that I didn't like the quotes that were included but I prefer to see women in things I read. I understand that a lot of these quotes were from the 19th century and before, and there weren't a lot of female philosophers from that long ago, but there were female poets and writers who could have been quotes. For how many quotes were in this book that seemed only vaguely related to the topic of the chapter or where only a word or 2 long, I think a few more quotes from women could have made their way into the book.
It also just felt repetitive. Some chapters seemed to be saying the same thing, and there are only so many quotes on each topic that feel fully original before the ideas are repeated.
Profile Image for Kassy.
33 reviews12 followers
March 3, 2013
I usually have a hard time engaging in self help books because I often feel that are dictating to the reader how they should live or think. Obviously the good books would never do that, and would only encourage us to look at ourselves in a different, hopefully positive way. I did not feel that Zen Soup by Laurence G. Boldt was one of those books that told you how you should or should not be, but offered a great number of quotes from many thinks/philosophers from around the world that gave insight onto ways that we can alter our perspective without ourselves to make sure we are living the life we want too.

I liked the fact that this book was quotations, you could take from it what meant the most to you, and each of us is different. How we read and interoperate each message is completely unique because of how we live and dream. Some messages may mean something to you, others may not, however if you read each and consider the meaning it allows your mind to open to a higher level of clarity and thinking.

I do not agree with every quotation in this book, and that is good because you have to challenge and understand yourself to appreciate a self help book too. It allows you to take on what you need, and what you can associate into your life. In the end, only you can decide what is important and how much what you read can impact you.
Profile Image for Aaron S.
13 reviews4 followers
April 29, 2008
although there are some Zen aspects, this is just an amazing books of quotes, plain and simple.
Profile Image for Frank.
8 reviews1 follower
July 29, 2012
Well arranged and thoughtful collection of quotes.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.