Start by marking “And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)” as Want to Read:
And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)

And a Puzzle to Die On

(Puzzle Lady #6)

When nerdy cruciverbalist Harvey Beerbaum throws a birthday bash for Cora Felton at the Bakerhaven Library, it's no surprise that the centerpiece, a huge cake decorated like a crossword puzzle, is a complete bust--until a corpse thrown from the second floor stacks hits it dead center and fills in 14 down. Cora may hate birthdays almost as much as she hates crossword ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Bantam (first published August 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about And a Puzzle to Die On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And a Puzzle to Die On

Start your review of And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)
Tobinsfavorite
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Despite the birthday cupcake on the cover, I did not connect the title to the phrase "and one to grow on," but rather to "hill to die on," so I found the title awkward and annoying, but aside from that, I enjoyed the book. I started it at about 8:15, waiting for a bus, and finished it around 1PM on an airplane, reading it straight through; it was just right for that.

I'd read one Puzzle Lady book before, and as it was years ago, I don't remember it very well, but I think I liked this one better
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fine entry in the Puzzle Lady series.

Snapy prose, a complicated mystery, a couple of murders, and of course, crossword puzzles (but they aren't the only puzzle in this book). Cora is in fine form and her mind is sharp as ever. This is a series you want to stick with, and fortunately there are lots more in the series to enjoy.
Elizabeth
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this for my mystery book club. It was mildly amusing, but I wouldn't deliberately seek out another title in this series. I learned a new word: cruciverbalist. That is someone who makes crossword puzzles.
Kate
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
"Cora Felton, the eccentric Puzzle Lady, is up to her old tricks again. Along with her brainy niece Sherry, the unlikely crime-solving duo match wits with a killer hiding behind an unsolved puzzle twenty years old.

"Lately the biggest mystery is how many candles to put on the cake of Bakerhaven's favorite puzzle lady. That is until Cora's birthday wish is granted: a juicy case filled with sex, scandal, and mayhem. Too bad it's two decades old -- and already solved. Darryl Daigue is serving a life
Lagniappe
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
When the best things about the book are the actual word puzzles sprinkled throughout you know you're in trouble.
As a word puzzle fan I had high hopes for this, but it just didn't deliver on any level. The plot was so convoluted that even the reveal had me crossing my eyes. The "dramatic" courtroom scene was ridiculously unrealistic. I wanted to skim - but couldn't because I knew I would miss something important. And I really did not like the heroine Cora at all. I think I was supposed to find
Christine
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun mystery overall, Cora the Puzzle Lady got to run amok more than usual. She even had a judge enthralled by her antics of zero-legal knowledge just orneriness in battling a simple charge and preliminary hearing!

I wasn't so happy with the resolution itself, which was explained twice. But I am super looking forward to reading the next book. I need more Sherry and her beau and their (lover's) verbal sparring.
Bethany
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bingo! I'm obviously not reading these in order, but it doesn't seem to matter. I have hit the jackpot on this one--number six in the series. I laughed so loud my husband came thundering into the room to find out what was wrong with me. Cora is my new grown-up reading heroine. This one is my favorite so far and I will hang onto it to read again when I need a good belly laugh. Stephanie Plum, you have company.
Martina Sartor
Lettura relax, con cruciverba da risolvere.
Megan
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Megan by: Mom
My mother gave me this book recently for no particular reason, and I promise you I would never have read it otherwise.

There's not much to say about it. It's a mystery, in a series where the gimmick is that an elderly lady is famous in her small town for being "The Puzzle Lady" - a successful crossword constructor. But the real constructor is the Puzzle Lady's niece, and the elderly lady is just a young-acting grandma with a sharp mind and a smart mouth and a penchant for solving crimes.

The book
Mark Baker
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, mystery
Puzzle Lady Cora Felton is hiding from her birthday by digging into a 20 year old murder. Why is someone interested in the case now? Is the real killer behind bars? The plot contains plenty of twists, but I felt the ending was overly convoluted. There was plenty of word play, which is why I read the series, so I loved that. Those who read for the cross word puzzles might be disappointed to learn they are unrelated to the mail plot. Personally, that didn't bother me.

Read my full review at
Rachel
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Normally detective characters are (sometimes) pushy and determinedly track down clues with ways that may or may not be the most legal. But is there anyone's house this lady didn't break into?
I found the main character, Cora, to be a bit frustrating. She kept going about her own way doing what she wanted no matter what anyone else said (even her lawyer).
Sure finally at the end things maybe sorta fell into place but this wasn't my favorite story for sure.
Susan
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Admirable entry in Hall's series featuring a feisty elder who is having a birthday she doesn't care to recognize even though she receives crossword puzzles from famous puzzle writers giving her clues to solve the latest mystery. Fun read.
Raymond Rockwell
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry: Love crosswords but can't abide smart
alecks...or alices. This is "Murder She Wrote" with a gimmick. I quit on it because
the main character is so predictably obnoxious. (Blurb calls it 'frothy', so I'm
probably a curmudgeon.)
Diane Heath
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This time Cora has a birthday coming up. Harvey plans a surprise party. Becky and Sherry come up with a special present which leads to 2 murders, breaking and entering, and accusations of dog napping.
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another fun read about the antics of Cora Felton! I love Cora Felton - she is a great (and surprisingly believable) character. She reminds me of my great-grandmother.
Ron Judenberg
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
read
Karen
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
hysterical
Sonia
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Too much rambling for me, but I thought the puzzles were fun.
Shannon
Feb 08, 2015 added it
Shelves: mystery
Didn't like the end because I didn't think we had enough info to actually determine who the killer really was. However, I liked the Puzzle Lady's typical banter.
Sheri
Jan 11, 2009 added it
Cute who-done-it using crossword puzzles. It is a series, but you don't necessarily need to read them in order.
Claire
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Crazy, convoluted storyline~~~~
Bettynz (Larraine)
Yeah. Quirky. Not a bad story, but the gimmick of crosswords all the way through not really my cup of tea. I particularly liked the feisty and almost-coarse main character. Nice touch!
Harry Addington
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable series. This one was not as light as the others ones I have read.
Ginger
Apr 13, 2013 added it
I have read several of Parnell Halls Puzzle Lady Mystery & love them. I am sure that this book will be just as funny, whitty, & enchanting as the others.
Brenda Sharp
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
excellent read...Cora was charming and funny as ever
Dogsandbooks
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Reliable frothy fun with a good amount of snark. Plus puzzles! DPL e book.
Sj
Jun 22, 2007
Cheryl Taylor garant
May 28, 2014

• Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
  • Wonton Terror (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Six Cats a Slayin' (Cat in the Stacks, #10)
  • Death by Chocolate Malted Milkshake (A Death by Chocolate Mystery #2)
  • Checked Out (The Village Library Mysteries, #1)
  • Guidebook to Murder (A Tourist Trap Mystery #1)
  • Santa's Greatest Gift: The Truth about Santa's Identity Wrapped in the Spiritual Meaning of Christmas
  • Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries, #1)
  • Bitter Brew (A Savannah Reid Mystery #24)
  • We Wish You a Murderous Christmas (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #2)
  • Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Murder in the First Edition (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #3)
  • Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Toy Soldier (Vintage Toyshop Mystery, #1)
  • Spell Booked (Retired Witches Mystery, #1)
  • Special Agent Francesca (Undercover FBI, #1)

Puzzle Lady (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #1)
  • Last Puzzle & Testament (Puzzle Lady #2)
  • Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady #3)
  • A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady #4)
  • With this Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady #5)
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #7)
  • You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #8)
  • The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady #9)
  • Dead Man's Puzzle (Puzzle Lady #10)
  • The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady (Puzzle Lady #11)