Start by marking “A Father's Love: One Man's Unrelenting Battle to Bring His Abducted Son Home” as Want to Read:
A Father's Love: One Man's Unrelenting Battle to Bring His Abducted Son Home

A Father's Love: One Man's Unrelenting Battle to Bring His Abducted Son Home

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  347 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
The inspiring, heart-rending story of a father's unwavering love for his son.

David Goldman and his Brazilian wife, Bruna Bianchi, led what appeared to be a happy life in New Jersey. But in June 2004, Bianchi took their four-year-old son, Sean, to Brazil for what she said would be a two- week vacation. Once there, she informed Goldman that she was staying in Brazil-and k
Published May 5th 2011 by Viking (first published April 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Father's Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Father's Love

Diane
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Father's Love tells the sometimes painful story of David Goldman's five year ordeal, in bringing his son back to his home in New Jersey from Brazil.

In 1997 when David was working in Italy, he met a Brazilian woman named Bruna Bianchi Soon the couple fell in love. The two married and made their home in a New Jersey seaside community where David resided, and two years later in 2000, their son Sean was born.

Since Bruna's family was from Brazil, the couple would often travel there a few times a ye
Justine
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I could have done without the name dropping in the beginning of the book (seriously, did I need to know he was in shoots with Claudia Schiffer or swimming in Michael Bay's pool?), but after that was a very compelling, almost maddening story of David Goldman's fight for the return of his son. I didn't hear of this particular story beforehand, but I was just amazed at the challenges this man faced in getting a country to stand by the law.
Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened-to
The ordeal was heart-breaking. But the book itself was too detailed and lasted to long. I was often confused because the transitions between past events & present events were not well written / read. Once I was about 3/4 of the way through, I started skimming until the last couple of chapters because I got the point that the situation sucked and the dad was being jerked around constantly. I just wanted to know how they were doing since he got his son back. I guess I was more concerned / inte ...more
Rachael
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I've followed this story for several years, and was worried that there would not be any new information in the book, but I was quite shocked about how much went on that the media did not/could not cover.
Melissa
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an extraordinary story about a man whose relentlessness, and hope was able to bring his abducted son back to the United States from Brazil after five long emotional years.
Shana
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shana by: Dateline
Shelves: child-welfare
This interesting book about David Goldman's experience trying to bring his son home from Brazil is a fast read. The story begins when Goldman's Brazilian born wife, Bruna, goes to Brazil with their son, Sean, to visit her family. Several days later, she calls Goldman to inform him that she is never coming back and is keeping Sean in Brazil with her. Thus begins his 5 year odyssey of trying to get his son back.

I had seen coverage of this story on Dateline and the Today Show, so I knew the basic
Eileen
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I was a little taken aback at the beginning of this book and how David Goldman felt it necessary to first talk about his popularity as a male model and did some name dropping. I'm not sure what this added to his heart wrenching story. David's Brazilian wife Bruna took their four year old son Sean on a two week vacation to Brazil, and the day after they arrived she let David know that they were there to stay and he was to sign away all custody rights as Sean's Father. This started David's six yea ...more
Chris King
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of small children, fathers, interracial and intercultural couples, brazilians
Excellent and absorbing true story of a man's struggle to get his abducted son back from another country. The author goes into a lot of detail in this story, which some other reviewers didn't like, but I think it was important to set the stage and was his way of showing that he is not like many of the allegations made against him.

Because I am the father of four small children, and am married to a Brazilian, I could really feel the emotions and turmoil described by the author, as I pictured what
Geeta
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting read. David Goldman's strength is commendable. His unconditional love for his son, his courage and sense of judgement to reach out political higher ups and media to stir a sensation that would be right enough to get him his son back, is amazing to read about.
What doesn't make sense is how such a prudent man could not sense a difference between him and his wife during courtship and during marriage. He did not sense his wife was not happy enough, that she could walk away from marri
Debbie
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since the story of Sean Goldman's abduction by his mother originated in my area before it became national news, I followed it from the beginning. It was fascinating to read about what was going on behind the scenes during the years that Mr. Goldman dedicated his life to bringing Sean home.

This book is very well-written, and - despite some overly-detailed explanations of the legal aspects - I found it to be fascinating. The highs, the lows, the disappointments, the heartwarming moments and the h
Linda
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
This book was well-written and a page-turner until the very end. It is a father's account of the abduction of his 4-year old son from New Jersey to Brazil by the boy's mother. The behavior of the perpetrators is more like reading fiction as the lengths they go to are unfathomable and despicable. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of thui book go towards helping others whose children haven been abducted.
VLynch
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-story
I have to say, Sean is a very lucky kid to have the father he has. I couldn't help but to cheer Dad along his adventure and become angry with each road block he endured. I did feel this book was a bit long, i had to remind myself that this was a true story, not an overwritten plot. Real life and so many heartaches. I wanted a bit more about Sean adapting to his life changes, but also felt relieved they were healing privately together.
Way to go Dad!
Hilary
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An incredible story. Any parent will understand David's drive to bring his son home. Any parent who has been separated from a child through a custody battle or other uncontrollable event will empathize with the wrenching grief a child's absence causes. We can all read this and wonder how the Brazilian government could sign an international treaty and then just a couple of years later, even while agreeing with it, repeatedly fail to enforce it.
Anthony Ventrello
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked up this book at the local library and I was glad that I did. It was a page turner from start to finish and even though I knew how the story ended, I still was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next.

I was angered several times throughout the story at the corruption and blatant disrespect of the law that the Brazilian courts had. It should scare you because this could happen to anyone.
Pat
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is unbelievable the tenacity that this father had in fighting for his son and the atrocities that both David's wife, and then her family, got away with in Brazil. David is a wonderful writer and the book reads like a fiction novel. Sometimes I had to remind myself that it was real. It does get bogged down a little towards the end with all the red tape David had to go through, but it is still well worth the read.
Shauna
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another decent read from the Dollar Tree! I had seen David's story on Dateline, and so I was a little familiar with what the novel would be about. I'm glad I read it - it is so unbelievable that you'd have to read it to believe it. I feel so sad for him and his son, who will never get that time back. It's a great look into the way things work internationally, and it is eye-opening to those of us who have never had to deal with something of this nature.
Kelli
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it... I had followed this story on Dateline and on the news and really enjoyed having the father's version and insight to ALL the details. It is unbelievable that this could be a true story. WoW...it's a good read.
Judy
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Interesting and sad (with happy ending). It's necessary to tell the truth, and hopefully this will help other parents recover their abducted children, but how will reading this book affect his son later when he realizes that his mother's family were kidnappers?
Kimberly
A heart wrenching story of a father trying to get his son back, who was abducted by his wife. David Goldman does a great job of telling his side of this awful story and all that he did to be reunited with his son. Overall a touching story that in the end, thankfully, has a happy ending.
Allison Lyons
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book. Can't believe a family could keep a son from his biological father and except a step father to raise his son. Nice to know there are some happy endings even if it takes years. Message is never give up on what you believe in
Pamela
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
A taste of "the theater of the absurd" or a "truth stranger than fiction" situation. Definitely surreal.

One's heart can not help but go out to the author, his son and other abducted children and the parent left behind.
Jan
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this true story about a Father losing his son and finally getting him back. It was heart wrenching. Moral of the story to never give up.
Tasha
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's crazy what some people go through in their life. This poor man having his son stolen from him by his wife.
Shannon
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent book and incredible story of determination and love.
Nikolina Hansen
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was ok

It is amazing to mr that Sean is as well adjusted as he is now.
Patty
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting story...mid to end started to drag a bit with details so I have to admit to doing some skimming...
Susan
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Left me feeling empty inside
CC
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
definitely a heartfelt story. but i did find David a bit ego centric at times, maybe he was trying too hard to show himself as someone who did not deserve what happened.
Lan
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. I was up all through the night and didn't go to sleep until 9am until the next morning. =)
ShanLandis
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Misconception: One Couple's Journey from Embryo Mix-up to Miracle Baby
  • Inconceivable: A Medical Mistake, the Baby We Couldn't Keep, and Our Choice to Deliver the Ultimate Gift
  • Gianna: Aborted...and Lived to Tell about It
  • China Ghosts: My Daughter's Journey to America, My Passage to Fatherhood
  • Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice
  • The Brazil Reader: History, Culture, Politics
  • Murder by Family: The Incredible True Story of a Son's Treachery and a Father's Forgiveness
  • The Way I Was Made: Words and Music for an Unusual Life
  • The Blessing
  • Tender Warrior: God's Intention for a Man
  • The Brazilians
  • That Mean Old Yesterday
  • Love Story: The Hand that Holds Us From the Garden to the Gate
  • The 11 Laws of Likability: Relationship Networking . . . Because People Do Business with People They Like
  • Through the Brazilian Wilderness

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers