Start by marking “Just One Look” as Want to Read:
Just One Look

Just One Look

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  38,546 ratings  ·  2,289 reviews
When Grace Lawson picks up a newly developed set of family photographs, there is a picture that doesn't belong-a photo from at least twenty years ago with a man in it who looks strikingly like her husband, Jack. And though Jack denies it's him, he disappears that night, taking the photo with him. Now, to save her family from a fierce, silent killer who will stop at nothing ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by Dutton (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Just One Look, please sign up.
David Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. The book was published in 2004. I brought my last roll of film in for developing in October 2007. The narrative ad…moreDoesn’t bother me in the slightest. The book was published in 2004. I brought my last roll of film in for developing in October 2007. The narrative addresses the question of why the character isn’t ‘gone digital’ yet. Not all of us could afford to right away. Not all of us wanted to. For years, I had a CD burned to accompany my prints and I could do whatever I wanted with the photos online while still enjoying the old print method.(less)

·  38,546 ratings  ·  2,289 reviews

Start your review of Just One Look
Luffy
Jade17
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Although it was still a decent read much like his other novels, it could be time for Coben to change a little of his formulaic writing. The plot in this novel is so confusing that the last two to three chapters were devoted to explaining it all. It almost felt like the rest of the novel were just fillers.
Phrynne
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars from me for being a totally gripping and enjoyable read. One of those books I didn't want to have to put down when real life invaded my reading time.

There were a few snags though. Coben switched frequently around a number of points of view and storylines. It was clever and effective in furthering the plot but I felt it often slowed the build up of tension overall. Just as we got to a critical point for one character we would be carried away to find out what was happening to another on
Weinz
Sep 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why is it when people hear you enjoy reading that they automatically assume that you read the same books they do? A neighbor reccomended this one. I don't think the friendship will survive. I may have to move. ...more
Jonetta
Quick Summary
It was an ordinary day like any other but from the moment when Grace Lawson picks up her pictures from the photomart, her life was never the same.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. The story actually begins with a surprising admission from a prisoner serving a life sentence for murder. That sets off a chain of events that reaches back 15 years to the present.

The mystery
Since it is a mystery, I can't tell you much more. What I can say is I was off balance for most of the book. There
Heidi
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was a great mystery... the first Coben book I picked up and I've read several others since then. I love a book that keeps me guessing. ...more
 Li'l Owl
Just One Look by Harlan Coben is a masterpiece of spellbinding, nerve wracking edginess, and heart pounding exhilaration that will leave you weak in the knees!
Warning! You will not want to put this one down!!

Just one look is all it takes sometimes to set your world tilting into the unknown.
"there are those moments when your life simply unravels. A loose thread pulled. A seam gives way. The change is slow at first, nearly imperceptible.
For Grace Lawson, the unraveling began at the Photomat
Mandy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was slow for me at first but
Man oh man towards the middle I couldn't put it down! All of the connections with the characters and then the twist at the very end made me feel like I was right there with the family. Great book! Coben never fails!
Aj the Ravenous Reader

I don’t know if I’m the only one who finds Harlan Coben funny but I’m always very entertained every time I read his book despite his plots being a bit formulaic. It’s why he became an auto-buy author for me. I’ve grown to love his style, his writing, his humor, and yes even his cliches. Lol.

“Scanlon leaned forward. “What I’m about to tell you, he said, ‘will change your entire life.’

Part of Scott wanted to wiggle his fingers in Scanlon’s face and say, “Ooooo.”
Lol!

This is my second
Kristy
A truly twisty mystery

This is the tenth book in my #atozchallenge! I'm challenging myself to read a book from my shelves that starts with each letter of the alphabet. Let's clear those shelves and delve into that backlist!

When Grace Lawson picks up a set of photos from the store, she finds a strange photo in the envelope. It shows a group of four people she doesn't know. But one, she does: her husband, long before she knew him. When she shows him that evening, he leaves their home mysteriously.
laura
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just read this and it's such a mess in my head right now that I can't even properly review this.
The end is incomprehensible, seems like the final twist/explanation was thought of in a rush, badly explained, I totally didn't catch all of it. I appreciate the lack of happy ending (sorry for the spoiler) where it was totally expected, in fact I didn't even predict it should end like this?
so, the end was a big fat disappointment.
SPOILERS
I was looking forward to Cora being the fifth person in the pho
Connie
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janie Johnson
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I decided on this book so I could use it for my A-Z challenge since I love Harlan Coben and I have not yet been disappointed by anything that he wrote. I really enjoyed this book just as much as other ones. I love the writing style and all the mystery. He is just a pleasure to read.

Synopsis
Yigal Zur
l look at the big pile of Coban books on my shelf. do i have really something to say about them? do i remmber any? well. yes one of his first novels which called in the woods or similar. it was brilliant. all his other good read but so so. means averge.
Marleen
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlan-coben
Despite the rather convoluted plot I enjoyed this read immensely. It’s Harlan Coben’s talent for portraying compelling and likable characters that drew me in. I sympathized with Claire and Jack Lawson. There’s no doubt in my mind that the man, the Jack, that Claire knew all this time, as her husband, was a truly loving husband and a cherished father to their two kids, Emma and Max. No doubt at all.
I enjoyed the juxtaposition between suburban life and the popping up of questionable characters lik
Love Fool
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An ordinary snapshot causes a mother’s world to unravel in an instant. After picking up her two young children from school, Grace Lawson looks through a newly developed set of photographs. She finds an odd one in the pack: a mysterious picture from perhaps twenty years ago, showing four strangers she can’t identify. But there is one face she recognizes—that of her husband, from before she knew him. When her husband sees the photo that night, he leaves their home and drives off without explanatio ...more
Strawberry Fields
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I see mixed reviews on this book, but I am of the opinion that it was exceptional. I have come to love this author. His characters are always so unique. The mysteries are so complex, it makes me wonder how he comes up with all this stuff??

Ok, so I quit giving book reports a long time ago, and you can read the synopsis yourself right here on Goodreads so I will forego all of that. What I will say is that typically of Coben, you never see the end coming. Usually all the questions are answered and
Angie
Wow! Where has Mr. Coben been all my life? This is my second book to read of his and they have both been heart-pounding and can't-stop-reading!! I will be steadily working my way through his offerings.

This thriller starts out with a housewife picking up some photos from a local shop. Little does she know her life will soon explode into chaos. The ramifications of a 'wrong' photo placed in her pack are far-reaching and criss-cross all over the place. You are kept on the edge of your seat as the
Emily
Mar 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book seemed to have good reviews, but I didn't enjoy it that much. It moved pretty slow and I felt there were wasted pages. I hate to give bad reviews, but I don't think I would reccommend this one. ...more
Heather
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read that had me guessing and gasping until the end.
Rob1109
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I first discovered Harlan Coben about 18 months ago. I read one of books, "Caught,", I believe, and loved it. I read a second book, loved it. Mr. Coben jumped into my Top 5 favorite authors. Another novel by Coben cemented his spot. I read a fourth, a fifth, and then it dawned on me. The reason I like his books is because...well, they're all the same.

I don't mean his writing style, his characters. I mean the plot. In each and every novel of his I've read, the storylines are almost identical. New
Suz
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
My mind was all over the place with this one, what was happening? Where did that person go? But what about him? Another awesome delivery from Mr Coben. Man this guy is good. I am never hit and miss with this guy, he always delivers and does so with style.

Grace was quite the woman here, trauma survivor and all round pretty cool chick. Quite the sleuth too which is good for her as she is facing an almost impossible task of finding her beloved, and facing many traumatic memories along the way.

I lo
Angie
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Harlan Coben manages to snag your attention within the first few pages of his books and then reels you in like a helpless fish until you are so ensared in the story that there is no way you can put the book down until you reach the end. This book is no exception!

I will admit that there were a few parts in this book that were slightly far-fetched, but then again, reality can be a bit far-fetched sometimes. Overall, it was another great suspense story from Coben. If you enjoy his books, you will
Jenny
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just One Look is the first book I have read of Harlan Coben. I was surprised, and I enjoy Just One Look. The twist and turns of the story and the fantastic ending ensure me to read another book from Harlan Coben. Just One Look highlighted the consequence of greed and how it affects everyone. I enjoy in Just One Look having a strong female main character who was determined to find out the truth. Just One Look also makes the readers think about Internet security. I recommend this book.
Crumb
Oct 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One minute. One second. Just one moment
is all it took for Grace’s world to come tumbling down all around her. Like the toppling of the largest Jenga tower.

More to Come.
Donna
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I like Harlan Coben’s writing style. He manages to hook you from the beginning. I like his focus on the characters. He brings ordinary citizens to life in his descriptive story telling.

Overall, I liked this book, mainly because of the hook and because of the character development. However, with that being said, I was glad this book wasn’t any longer. There was so much going on. Everyone had a hand in the plot. Everyone had a secret. It was a little busy and a little far-fetched at times. I don’
Cathy DuPont
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Harlan Coben and I have no idea how I've lived this long without reading one of his books. Well, I can no longer say that since I just finished this one.

On the road so fortunately I read (listened to is more accurate) it for hours at a time.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I even listened in the car for an extra 15 minutes a couple of times.

Now that I have been anointed, I won't walk pass a Harlen Coben book again without picking it up.

The End
No spoilers

About 75 p
Dem
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
Misty
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Harlan Coben book: a nice, quick read.

Overall, 3.5.

Some of it seemed a bit outlandish, but that’s what made the book.
Tannaz
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.. and it's Harlan Coben for sure!!!! ...more

• Dream Town (Archer, #3)
  • The 6:20 Man
  • The Dark Hours (Renée Ballard, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #35)
  • Death of the Black Widow
  • Sparring Partners (Jake Brigance, #4)
  • One Step Too Far (Frankie Elkin, #2)
  • Las aristas de la muerte
  • Caller's Spring - The Sweet Life: Trust
  • The Investigator (Letty Davenport #1)
  • Mercy (Atlee Pine #4)
  • The Judge's List (The Whistler, #2)
  • Escape (Billy Harney, #3)
  • 22 Seconds (Women’s Murder Club #22)
  • Live to Tell (Live to Tell #1)
  • Lorca: un poeta en Nueva York
  • Mr Moonlight
  • Steal (Instinct #3)
See top shelves…
Harlan Coben is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of the world's leading storytellers. His suspense novels are published in forty-five languages and have been number one bestsellers in more than a dozen countries with seventy-five million books in print worldwide.

His books have earned the Edgar, Shamus, and Anthony Awards, and many have been developed into Netflix Original Drama seri