Start by marking “Calculus” as Want to Read:
Calculus

Calculus

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,115 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Success in your calculus course starts here! James Stewart's CALCULUS texts are world-wide best-sellers for a reason: they are clear, accurate, and filled with relevant, real-world examples. With CALCULUS, Seventh Edition, Stewart conveys not only the utility of calculus to help you develop technical competence, but also gives you an appreciation for the intrinsic beauty o ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Brooks Cole (first published December 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Calculus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calculus

Jimmy Ng
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, very informative and effective if you're trying to learn Calculus and critical thinking. Most of the top universities use this book as well. The newest edition is the 6th, but I used the 5th while I was learning Calculus in school and it worked just as well and best of all, it cost $5 online! Great deal for a starving student!
Nina
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is cozy like a warm blanket on a chilly winter day. It got me through 3 terms of college Calculus and through 4 years of a math major in undergrad. I refer to it again and again now that I'm out of school - for sometimes the most random of reasons. The duct tape on the binding shows how much this book has been loved by me!
Damir Dzhafarov
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely riveting.
عبدالرحمن القصير
رائع جداً، من أفضل كتب الرياضيات.
Mohammad Mollanoori
در دوران کارشناسی، دکتر مقدمفر استاد ریاضی اصرار داشت که از روی جزوه نخوانیم و رفرنس بخوانیم. من هم بالاخره این کتاب را که با هزار ذوق و شوق خریده بودم، خواندم. ...more
Devon
I would like to say that this is the first textbook that I have read from chapter one to the very end.
Illona
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These Calculus classes, Geometric, Vector, Multivariable, Differential, were some of my favorites & this book does cover the topics extensively.

Some of the best advice I got was to hunt around for a good tutor to go to regularly & to have many books since it helps to really study the same lesson in different books to get a deeper understanding.

There were no online resources when I took these classes, these books do seem to have some web bundle available, I have benefited from using web m
Ray
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Calc textbook. I only used it for studying the sections (all our homework was from the 8th edition).
Nick Black
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this textbook; we worked the entirety of the third edition in AP Calculus BC, and I picked up a fourth edition back in 2002 to keep around. There seems to be a recent bunch of hating on Stewart Calculus, though; I'm not sure whether this invective is about the fifth edition or what, but I can't imagine a better (admittedly unrigorous, but what's American high school mathematical education for?) grounding in real-number calculus at the preparatory level (ie, outside of an undergraduate-le ...more
Erickson
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mathematics
Very detailed and step-by-step; especially useful for everyone who starts to learn calculus be it from basic or from rather rigorous point of view. The appendix contains proofs of some of the most important theorems in basic calculus concept like squeeze theorem, making the text not lacking the needed rigour for fuller insight of the topic.

For those who wishes to learn advanced calculus, however, perhaps there is a need to peruse another text because in a way this text is not very close to real
Christian Villa
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first material on Calculus I had read. As a newbie, I appreciated how well organized this book was. The coloring scheme wasn't overdone to the point of distraction, but effectively minimal. I approached Calculus nervously (given its association with very smart folks), but Stewart shook that off quickly and made the material easy to grasp. Finally, a reason was found to why everything I had learned in math was useful; here's where everything was truly integrated (no pun intended).

At
'Asem Ismaiel
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ooouh, where do I begin?!This book literally changed my life, it's the first Calculus book I study on my own, I began to understand Calculus when I started reading it, James Stewart really is a genius, I love that guy!
The book explains the concepts very well and gives numerical and graphical evidence to every theorem, as well as proof to some theorems which is really great, The first 13 chapters and the last chapters are very well-explained, however, chapter 15 and 16 are very difficult and I d
Daniel Cunningham
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a standard (one of *the* standards) Calculus textbook. I do wish there were harder/"messier" problems given in the end of sections; there definitely were some. Or, alternatively, the number of nearly identical problems could be reduced (if you didn't get the first 10 easy problems, 60 more aren't going to do you much good...)
Shalimar Krebs
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I don't have this precise edition, I do believe that this is one of the best Calculus books out there. I have to admit that I wasn't particularly fond of it at first (the exercises could be improved). However, after comparing it to other textbooks I realized how well done it was. It's clear, concise and yet thorough.
Matt O'Brien
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: S&M freaks
Recommended to Matt by: Dr. Hu
This book absorbed two years of my life.

I left a scarred shell of a man...with neck pain, bad pasty skin, and an eye injury that hasn't gone away yet.

In the end, I did if for a higher reason. I can't explain what I mean by that.
Rahulbr
Great reference book for Calculus, that I've used in 3 courses and provided a foundation for pursuing an MS in Statistics the semester after. The examples are very well done, while the problems are varied enough that you can really test your level and develop a correct intuition.
Auturo
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of students I know don't like this book. But as a first year Calculus book, I believe it is really good. It is not as good as the Lawson Hostetler(sp?) book but It is good. I both used it as student and as an instructor. I would certainly recommend it.
Jonathan Kenyon
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful textbook, though sometimes the questions were not thoroughly enough answered in the back of the book. However, it was still a useful resource during my first and second year of university maths.
W
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
While I like the book and the detailed examples, I didn't like how the author continuously used Riemann Sums to explain everything. I needed more integration in the book. I did, however, appreciate proofs because that's the way I learn the material best.
Lala
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because you + me = us
Logan
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a nice love/hate relationship with this book. Most of the explanations are good, but they occasionally leave some important info out.
Barry
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
This was pretty legendary. Easy to understand, lots of examples, and thorough, yet concise.
Jan 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY :D
Ariel
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
My go-to calculus reference. And probably the only one you'll ever need.
Brian Beakley
A pretty book, with lots of problems and full-color graphics. (I used the 6th edition.)
Zimmer
Oct 26, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is pretty much the best book ever written. I read this book like it's my job.
Amy
Apr 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the better math books I have owned in my lifetime...its getting me A's on tests so that is all that matters
Saman Nourkhalaj
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: درسی
It was a great book and it helped me alot for my exams.but I liked the Thomas' way of teaching more :)
  • Numerical Analysis
  • Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus
  • Contemporary Abstract Algebra
  • Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications
  • Bayesian Data Analysis
  • Introductory Statistics with R (Statistics and Computing)
  • Naive Set Theory
  • Chemistry: The Central Science
  • Calculus With Analytic Geometry
  • Vector Calculus
  • Linear Algebra and Its Applications
  • Mathematical Statistics and Data Analysis
  • Principles of Mathematical Analysis

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
James Stewart is a professor of mathematics and a violinist. He has written a number of textbooks, notably on calculus.

For other James Stewarts, see similar names.
More about James Stewart...

Nonfiction Deals