Start by marking “Now You See Her” as Want to Read:
Now You See Her

Now You See Her

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  3,007 Ratings  ·  394 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Joy Fielding tells an unforgettable story of a newly divorced woman attempting to heal her heartache, only to find herself on a desperate search for her daughter.

Fifty-year-old Marcy Taggart’s life is in shambles. Two years ago, her twenty-one-year-old daughter, Devon, perished in a canoeing accident. Her body was never found in the icy
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Now You See Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now You See Her

Christie
Dec 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, there’s a few hours I’m never getting back.

I am not a book snob. I like a fast-paced, plot-driven suspense thriller as much as the next girl. Now You See Her, on the surface at least, seems like a book that would be right down my dark alley. Marcy Taggert is on holiday in Ireland. It was supposed to be a second honeymoon, but her husband, Peter, has run off with the golf pro from his country club and so Marcy has gone solo. While enjoying a cup of tea with a man she’s met on her day-trip t
Wesley
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review Summary: Shallow, cheap mystery with an extremely outdated and overused plot and a dissatisfying and irrelevant conclusion. If you're really that curious about how this story will play out, just read the first and last parts; everything in between is not necessary, entertaining, or thrilling. Otherwise, I'd avoid this book altogether.

The plot of a parent seeing a glimpse of a child they thought was dead is so old. I cannot stress how old and unimaginative the plot is. I'm surprised Joy Fi
Casey Bennett
This book was weird, I think it had great potential and I kept waiting and waiting for "it" but it let me down, especially how it ended.
Sandie
Like Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire, Marcy Taggart has chosen to depend on the kindness of strangers. Following the death of her daughter Devon two years ago (the body was never found) and the departure for greener (and younger) pastures by her husband of 25 years, she has gone to Ireland alone on the vacation that was to have been a second honeymoon of sorts for she and her husband.

Marcy's has experienced feelings of unrelenting guilt since her mother committed suicide several years
Luanne Ollivier
In Joy Fielding's latest novel Now You See Her, we meet 50 year old Marcy Taggart as she's on a tour bus in Ireland. This trip was supposed to have been a 25th anniversary trip with her husband Peter. However, their marriage fell apart after their daughter Devon died. Marcy has never accepted that her bipolar daughter committed suicide - her body was never found. Peter has left her for another woman and divorce proceedings are underway. Marcy has taken the trip anyway - why not?

While sitting in
Roberta
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marcy Taggart has been hit with an emotional wallop, but she has not fallen. First her daughter was killed in a canoeing accident two years ago. The body was never found, so Marcy has never truly accepted her daughter's death. Her husband has moved on and left her for another woman. At fifty, Marcy is taking a tour of Ireland that was meant to be a twenty-fifth wedding anniversary trip. During a break at a pub, Marcy thinks she sees her daughter Devon walk past. Could her daughter still be alive ...more
Dorothyanne Brown
Jun 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Joy Fielding is an author I tend to avoid, simply because her writing reminds me of the way music swells in dramatic moments of a movie. I always come away from Fielding's books feeling vaguely dirty and definitely manipulated. Part of it is the subject matter of her books, always geared for maximum intensity of emotion, part of it is the way she writes them.
Which is to say she is very good at what she does.
But that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Every once and awhile I pick up one of her books
Erin
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Full review and more at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/

Here's the thing: I couldn't put it down. I NEEDED to know the ending. I HAD to know what everything would lead to. It took me two days to read it.

Although I couldn't put it down, and had to know the end, I'm conflicted because I actually don't think I liked it.

I hate saying that because I want to like most books, especially when I already like the author. I've read many books by her.

This book was frustrating. Both in the way it was writ
Lynda Kelly
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say Ms Fielding is one of THE most consistently good authors I've read. I have read around a dozen by her now in the past 2 decades and I've always scored 4 or 5*. Very impressive. See Jane Run remains one of my most favourite books ever. This one wasn't her best but it was still an enjoyable read and full of twist and turns.
Marcy, our female lead got on my nerves. She's a bit of a flake.She had this aversion to men in uniform, supposedly including the mailman which was never explained
Jean
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a bad book. But it wasn't good either. It's a plot we all read a million times. Marcy takes a trip to Ireland on what should have been her 25th anniversary. But her husband left her for another women, and she goes anyway. People seem to think this odd, but if you have ever made travel arrangements, you know if you have no travel insurance, and you don't go on the vacation, you pay for it anyway. So why not go? Anyway..

Marcy and Peter's Daughter Devon was presumed dead when her overtu
JudiAnne
The novel opens with an introduction to 50 year old Marcy who is on a tour bus in Ireland. Actually, she is on a 25th wedding anniversary trip without her husband. He left her after their daughter died in a boating accident because he couldn't deal with all their emotions. (Wimp, in my opinion!) The authorities are sure that Devon, their daughter committed suicide but Marcy can't accept that answer because she thinks she sees Devon in crowds everywhere. While in Ireland, she is positive she sees ...more
Dale Safford
Another book where the main woman character looks like she is off her rocker, and has voices in her head. Why does the author make a woman seem looney-tunes when she is thinking through a situation? And how can a woman who is brand new to a town attract not one but two men who want to get involved in her problems when she comes across as quite boring? And, besides all that, this narrator reads with a crackle in her voice which makes the woman seem even more bonkers.

Marcy Taggart takes a planned
Jennifer (INnerSANITY)
Well I love Joy's books.. I was shocked to see people really disliking the book! I always find her writing easy to read because it flows easily.. And her characters are so relatable I find myself laughing out loud being able to picture all the scenarios and such... As always her books touch me emotionally too and this one did especially because it was about a mother trying to desperately find her daughter who she believes to be alive.. I'm s sucker for emotional drama and suspense.. And this boo ...more
Charlotte

I was pretty vocal in my disappointment in Joy Fielding's last book, The Wild Zone, and I must say that Now You See Her was infinitely better. By no stretch of the imagination can it be compared to someone like Steig Larrsson or Tana French, but it was enjoyable. It kept me guessing right up to the end. I knew one of two guys was "the bad guy" but I kept going back and forth on who it was. The end was not exactly what I was hoping for, but it was satisfyin
Nina Draganova
Нещо не ме грабна тази книга.
Съшита е с бели конци .
Хаотична.
Има и несъответствия.
Случва се и на най-добрите.

Не знам защо,но явно винаги забелязвам такива мисли :
"Опитът я бе научил,че не може да разчита на никой мъж за спасение."
Jen Hart
A few words to describe the main character Marcy- Pathetic, Rude, Naïve, Impulsive- the list goes on. I believe one of the authors goals throughout the story was to convince the reader that Marcy was crazy. This was delivered in an over the top almost circus like way. I also could have done without the long, Irish history lessons that were stashed throughout. Set the scene, yes. But I didn't pick this book for the dates, times, and people of the past. Overall this was a fast, easy read though, h ...more
Tina Baisden
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
This book was simply one overrated cliche after another. The character of Marcy was as stupid as they come; I literally wanted to reach into the book and slap some sense into her. I also wish I had a dollar for every time she apologized for something in this book....at least I would have made back the money I spent on this book. Thankfully, I bought it at a used book store. Don't waste your time picking this one up. There was nothing about it that wasn't easily predicted.
Nanci
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually listened to this book on CD. The reader's voice was so obnoxious, especially when speaking as the main character. I guess that's part of the reason for the two stars; it shouldn't be but it is. It wasn't a horrible book but I can't say I'd recommend it.
Silvia Yanuar
Aug 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was soooo bad. I was continuing to read it just because I was curious about the ending and if all nonsense will make sense in the end. It did not. Characters and their relations highly unbelievable.
Linda
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Not your typical "boy meets girl...." book and not too predictable as to the outcome.
Rachelle
Book was good. Not fantastic.
Kim
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good with great build up but the end was quite a let down. I wanted a big kaboom after how nicely it ramped up
Margo
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!!
Carol
Mar 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish-it
I tried to listen to the audio book, but I couldn't finish it. The reader's voice was too nasal and whiny. Then again, the main character was so unbelievable and silly, I just hated her. After the 3rd disc, I skipped to the last one to find out the ending.
Sherri Crossett
Mar 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disorganized book. Goes back and forth between past and present without clear delineation of timeline. Finished book only to have the outcome revealed.
Elusive Controversé
Feb 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In ‘Now You See Her’, Marcy goes on a vacation in Ireland alone as her marriage of twenty-five years has ended in an unexpected divorce. Despite what her loved ones think, she’s convinced that her missing daughter Devon is alive. When she’s sightseeing in Cork, she catches a glimpse of someone who looks very much like Devon. From that moment onwards, she continues searching for her even when that leads to danger.

I’ve enjoyed many of Fielding’s books hence I expected to like this one. Unfortunate
Maureen
Good little mystery set in Ireland. Several red herrings.
Kim
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-read
4.5 stars. I cannot give this a complete five - only because of a few really annoying moments & some too unbelievable stuff.

BUT...I loved this book! It had me sitting on the edge of my seat! I have had so many disappointments lately - I just cannot seem to 'fall into' any book. Lots of starts only to abandon them for not having the ability to keep my attention. NOT SO HERE. I was drawn in right away & couldn't wait to indulge myself with more. I HAD to know just who was the villan.

A good
Phyllis Sommers
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I started this novel, my early assessment was that this author, one of my favorites, was starting to "lose her mojo" and becoming very "cookie-cutter," like so many of her peers. It wasn't long, however, before I was on the edge of my seat, unable to turn the pages fast enough and realizing that Joy Fielding's writing is every bit as exciting and interesting as it's always been.

We meet Marcy Taggart, a recent divorcée who has had a very difficult two years, as she is listening to a guide on h
  • Der fremde Gast
  • A Lifetime Burning
  • Flammenbrut
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Zwarte Piste
  • Cast into Doubt
  • Amokspiel
  • Alles te verliezen
  • Breaking Point
  • Hexenkind
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • The Bird House
  • Himmel över London
  • Verlies
  • His Other Wife
  • Eleven Pipers Piping (Father Christmas Mystery #2)
  • The Killing Song
  • Opening Moves (Patrick Bowers Files, #0.5)
Joy Fielding (née Tepperman; born March 18, 1945) is a Canadian novelist and actress. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.

Born in Toronto, Ontario, she graduated from the University of Toronto in 1966, with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. As Joy Tepperman, she had a brief acting career, appearing in the film Winter Kept Us Warm (1965) and in an episode of Gunsmoke. She later changed her last n
More about Joy Fielding...