Start by marking “Mongodb: The Definitive Guide” as Want to Read:
Mongodb: The Definitive Guide

Mongodb: The Definitive Guide

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  378 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
How does MongoDB help you manage a huMONGOus amount of data collected through your web application? With this authoritative introduction, you'll learn the many advantages of using document-oriented databases, and discover why MongoDB is a reliable, high-performance system that allows for almost infinite horizontal scalability.

Written by engineers from 10gen, the company th
Published September 1st 2010 by O'Reilly Media

Gafitescu Daniel
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-dev
MongoDB The Definitive Guide

Chapter 1 : Introduction

- The basic idea is to replace the concept of a “row” with a more flexible model, the “document.”
- MongoDB was designed from the beginning to scale out. Its document-oriented data model allows it to automatically split up data across multiple servers

Features :
a) Indexing
b) stored Javascript
c) Agreggation
d)Fixed-size collections
e)File storage

Chapter 2 : Gettting Started

• A document is the basic unit of data for MongoDB, roughly equivalent t
Miloš Milivojević
A very detailed coverage of all MongoDB aspects - development, administration, monitoring and performance-tuning - accompanied with lots of pearls of wisdom and typical gotchas.
Alexandre
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, kindle
The main concepts are well explained but as any technical book focused on a tool that evolves quickly it get out-dated quickly as well. The main concepts are still valid but some details have already changed sometimes significantly, it is advisable to read it with the current documentation on the side to be aware of the differences.
Jörn Dinkla
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
Sorry, this review is in german. I do not have enough time to translate it into english. In a few years this probably will be automatically translated.
------------------------------------------------------------
Das Buch ist ein gelungener Überblick auf MongoDB sowohl aus Entwickler- als auch als DBA-Perspektive. Jedenfalls soweit ich das als MongoDB-Einsteiger mit mehr als 11 Jahren Data-Warehousing-Projekterfahrung sagen kann. Es ist mein erstes Buch über MongoDB und man kann es daher auch als
Edmond
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall the book is well written, the two authors clearly know their stuff. However, I wish that they have organized the topics and wording a bit clearer and not to expect people will read the book from cover to cover.

MongoDB, at the end of the day, is a very young package. So there are quirks here and there which don't necessarily make sense for people from the RDBMS paradigms. E.g. it probably make sense to reference Safe Operations earlier in chapter 3 because I know that there are folks out
Christian Tjhai
By the title of the book that is The Definitive Guide, I was hoping that the authors could point out some kind of work patterns that could be considered as a starting point for the readers to be used as their practical guidelines at work. Although, I am aware that it is still too early to consider best practices to work with MongoDB.

The documentations provided at mongodb.org are definitely self-explanatory and I believe I could learn much faster from the documentations.

I am a bit disappoint actu
Alessandro Pellizzari
Ottimo manuale. Parte dalle basi e affronta tutti gli argomenti, dal classico "CRUD" all'amministrazione del server, passando per replicaSets, sharding, backup ed esempi in Java, PHP, Python e Ruby. Volendo assolutamente trovargli dei difetti direi che con un titolo come "Definitive Guide" mi sarei aspettato un maggiore approfondimento per alcuni argomenti, come i riferimenti incrociati tra collection, l'uso avanzato dello storage di file o degli esempi di configurazioni reali per sistemi in rep ...more
Hinch
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clearly written introduction to MongoDB. The concepts are well explained and the examples are thoughtfully chosen. The book incidentally addresses questions relating to the advantages of MongoDB over relational databases, however, greater focus on the strengths and weaknesses of the "NoSQL" model, and the applicability of the technology to specific solution architectures, would have been welcomed. The book is a joy to read, and will serve as a good complement to a language reference, yet lacks ...more
Aaron Lord
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last third of the book is appendices, so apparently all the while I was doner than I thought I was. It's a great book, but it's short, and therefore I wonder if has proper claim to the title of "Definitive Guide." My only complaint is that the Java chemistry app example in the last chapter is not accessible for anyone who didn't major in the physical sciences or who has been out of school for more than a few years.
Ivo Stoykov
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: db, computer, software
MongoDB: The Definitive Guide is useful reading and starting point for those interested to touch MongoDB. The book is well composed with enough clear samples and explanations. I've enjoyed reading it.
  • MongoDB in Action
  • High Performance JavaScript
  • Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • Version Control with Git
  • Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • JavaScript Patterns
  • Programming in Go: Creating Applications for the 21st Century
  • HBase: The Definitive Guide
  • SQL Antipatterns
  • Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide: A Distributed Real-Time Search and Analytics Engine
  • The Rails 3 Way

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »