Start by marking “The Reluctant God” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant God

The Reluctant God

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  298 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Lorna had spent most of her life in Egypt with her archaeologist father. Ameni had lived a dull life in ancient Egypt as the son of Pharaoh Senusert II. And through a strange twist of fate, the two met and embarked on a madcap trip across half of Europe to foil a gang of thieves.
Published December 1st 1989 by Perfection Learning (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant God

Mary-Beth
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I won't even tell you how much I loved this book as teen or how much I crushed on Ameni. Okay, you want a slightly unconventional teen romance? Try reading the story of a newly awakened Egyptian prince/god/mummy and the archaeologists daughter who befriends him.

I picked this up from a library book sale and I think it holds together fairly well as a story although I won't try to tell you it's deeply meaningful stuff, but it doesn't have pretend at it. Actually, the story does bring up some inter
Katie
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book very young and it is that book that I read that got me into reading. The friendship between Lorna and Ameni is such a meaningful friendship and the lessons I took from it were always endearing. As a kid, I had a love for Egyptology which this book only exacerbated. I was able to learn a lot while developing my first real crush for a character.

I can't give a full, objective review because I read this many years ago and my view is a little tainted by nostalgia. The writing is very
Beth
Ah. I love this book. When an Egyptian prince is awoken by a modern teen, they must find a sacred object to save what the prince holds dear. If you like Egypt, if you like just a dash of romance, if you like a book that makes you happy and sad at the same time, this is for you. A great read!
Dorothea
Fun! Fun if you don't think about it too hard. But you can think about it harder than any Indiana Jones movie, which is a good thing in my book. (I hate Indiana Jones movies.)

Indiana Jones movies don't work if you think about (a) what archaeology is really for, (b) the rights of the indigenous people of [movie setting], (c) the plot, and (d) who is going to pick up the mess afterwards.

The Reluctant God actually asks the reader to think about (a), and maybe a little tiny bit about (b) too.

It's st
Cate
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i actually enjoyed this book. since no one i know has read it, i liked being able to read without a clue of what was going to happen next. i found myself staying up late turning the pages wanting more and more. i was sad when the story ended, but happy with the conclusion. i wish i could read more, but i like to make up my own story for what happens to the characters when all the pages have been turned.
Michelle
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this 1st when I was in grade school and I still love and consider it one of my favorite books of all-time. It may be an easy kid read but it says a lot about a book if 15 years later you still own and and still love it!
Faye
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
it's an interesting book. the ancient egypt merged with modern england. two different people colliding to help one another. nice book.
ilga
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was a really witty and good book1it was well written too!
Teal
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I was in middle school. I read it several times in the library but ,sadly, I haven't been able to find it since.
Susan Haseltine
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A pleasant enough YA novel of with a bit of unconventional time travel and some softy (but on reflection really bizarre) gods. Our heroine is typically discomforted by conventional boarding school life and gets the benefit of some divine interference with a young royal also typically discomforted by restrictions and duties of palace life. His expected life is totally trashed and hers gets a boost, but really, it's all OK if the gods are fine with it. Reads OK, but don't think about it too much.
Drucilla
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s
This book is like a version of The Mummy for younger audiences. It's not scary like an R.L Stine book, more of a adventure type book. I wished it was longer just so that you could see more of Lorna teaching Ameni, his reactions to things, Lorna's history, and an epilogue would have been cool. But I'm not saying that the novel was incomplete. I didn't notice anything in the novel where there needed to be more information for me to understand what was going on. The only real critique I have for th ...more
Ellie  Dynek
I first read this book back in 5th grade, and I thought it was one of the most interestingly detailed and historically vivid stories that I'd ever read. Now, 10 years later, it's still a very unique read for the time, but it doesn't have as much action and adventure qualities as it did when I was a younger, more inexperienced reader. And the ending, as well, seems very rushed in the last few pages, without a great deal of buildup towards the climax and an overall open-ended finale. Overall, I'd ...more
haley
Read for 6th grade English

Ameni is an Ancient Egyptian Prince who is awakened from a trance thousands of years old during a storm. He meets Lorna Padgett, who is the daughter of an archeologist. They become friends and run around having adventures.

Sorry if that summary sounds vague. I don't remember much of it. I did enjoy the book, but it was nothing amazing. It was fine. Mediocre. Not terrible, but not amazing.
Megan Anderson
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: formystudents, 2013
It was good, but it felt incomplete. I much preferred the chapters about Ameni in Egypt--and even his first forays into the modern world--to the final third of the book. The end felt rushed, and I really wanted a concluding chapter (or even a sequel) to explain what happens next. Great to start, but definitely a disappointing end.
Maddie L
This book was really good but hard to follow at moments because it was talking about like ancient egypt and stuff but it was kind of cool at the same time i guess! well I didn't pick to read this book because our teacher made us read it as a class but i would definitely recommend it!!
C.D. Leavitt
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adults
The book is flawed in a lot of ways, but pure unadulterated love (mine, towards the book) earns it five stars as far as I'm concerned. It's not perfect, but it's such a wonderful read it's easy to ignore any flaws.
Barbara Binversie
Excellent novel that is not only fantasy but also historical fiction and a great mystery. Anyone who is studying ancient Egypt will really enjoy this young author novel.
Margaret C.
eehh had to read this in core!
Cassandra
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is flawed and I love it with every fiber of my being anyway.
Cooper Renner
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book many years ago, probably because it was in one of the school libraries I operated. A fine story for junior high and high school students interested in Egyptology and religion.
Noelle
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Noelle by: my teacher
Shelves: read-in-2011
it was pretty good not my favorite.
Madeline
I just found an essay I wrote about this book in fifth grade....so cute....except for the 5 paragraph essay format.
Leann Castillo
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read this book in middle school and loved it ,but i dont remeber much of it and i will probably re read it
Jonathan
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this literally decades ago, and I still remember it as being AWESOME.
Carly
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-reading
This book was simple and plain for me personally. a quick read that i cant say i will remember
Sally
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed the interplay between modern and Ancient times. I also enjoyed watching the two protagonists learn from each other.
Janet Jay
Liked it a lot as a kid, but not really special enough to be worth it as an adult
rated it it was ok
rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Woman Who Loved Reindeer
  • Merv Pumpkinhead: Agent of D.R.E.A.M. (Sandman Presents)
  • Another Shore
  • The House on Hound Hill
  • The Secret of the Ruby Ring
  • The History of the Devil and the Idea of Evil
  • Escape from Egypt
  • The Road to Damietta
  • Picking Up the Ghost
  • The Dalemark Quartet, Vol. 2: The Spellcoats & The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #3-4)
  • Flight of the Raven (Ark, #2)
  • Building Blocks
  • The Kestrel (Westmark #2)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Omnibus 4
  • This Time of Darkness
  • The Prince of the Pond: Otherwise Known as De Fawg Pin
  • Princess Nevermore (Princess Nevermore and the Wizard's Apprentice, #1)
  • Priest, Volume 1. Prelude for the Deceased
Born in Berkeley, California, Pamela F. Service grew up loving to hear, read, and tell stories - particularly about weird stuff. Pamela earned a BA in Political Science from UC Berkeley followed by an MA in history and archaeology from the University of London.

She spent many years living in Bloomington, Indiana, writing, serving on the city council, and being curator of a history museum. She has
More about Pamela F. Service...