Start by marking “L'assiro” as Want to Read:

L'assiro (Tiglath Ashur #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  629 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Assiria, VII secolo avanti Cristo. A Ninive, nel Palazzo Reale, vivono felici i due fr atellastri Tiglath Assur e Asarhaddon. Entrambi si innamorano della stessa affascinante principessa, dalla quale – oltreché il loro – dipende il destino dell'Assiria. Rivive nelle pagine di questo libro un mondo scomparso, barbaro e raffinato.
Published January 1989 by Euroclub (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about L'assiro, please sign up.

Asteropê I didn't see one, at least not on Amazon. I think if there was an Audible version, it'd be listed.

Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mainstream, read_2015
quite entertaining but predictable at least after reading a number of similar novels (I would say that Aztec by G. Jennings remains the best of this subgenre - "exotic" cultures, preferable with first person narrator); I wish I had read this 25 years ago or so (close to its publication in 1987-8) as I am sure I would have enjoyed it tremendously then; even so, kept my interest and I got book 2 and plan to read it asap - this one promises less predictability, but will see
Lisa Liel
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: historical
I wish I could give more than 5 stars. This book, and its sequel, The Blood Star, would get a solid 10 out of 10 if that were allowed here.

The main character, Tiglath, is the son of the king of Assyria. He's noble and good and in every way worthy of being a king. He's one of the best characters I've ever read, and I was sad when I got to the end of the sequel, because that's the last I'm going to see of him.

Read this. Find it and read it and savor it, because it's amazing. The sequel, God only k
Tiglath Ashur is the favorite son of King Sennacherib and molds him to become the next ruler in Nineveh after his death, but the omens have decreed that his brother, Esarhaddon- who is less than capable and not as loved by the people, will take the throne instead. Tiglath bows to his brother but the price paid may very well bring destruction to their people. Woven in to the story are a great cast of characters:
Na'qia- Esarhaddon mother; a conniving woman who would do anything to have her son on
Holly Lindquist
Epic historical melodrama set in Ancient Mesopotamia?

Bloody battle scenes that read like Sam Peckinpah meets Epic of Gilgamesh?

Lusty harlots? Conniving eunuchs? Nefarious kings? Tragic love? Creepy blind prophets spouting omens? A bull-headed main character who always chooses the hard path in any situation?

All of the above and more.

PS: If you like this book, it's well worth the effort to track down the sequel, The Blood Star. It's out of print and somewhat pricey, but a more economi
"The Assyrian" is the story of the fictional son of Assyrian kings Sennacherib.

Nicholas Guild paints a vivid portrait of a time mostly known from wall panels and surviving antiquities.

The main character, Tiglath Ashur, comes through as a very real person, with hopes, dreams, loves, and with many strengths and weaknesses. An interesting and engaging character.

A word of warning, though. Nicholas Guild pulls no punches when it comes to the punishments of the era, and is such an be extremely graphic
Josh Yiangou
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read, the kind of story that you can't help but fully invest yourself in. The author did his research into culture of that time, and I loved the detail he used to describe it. He has a way of leaving words of wisdom and insight into human nature to conclude stories that is rings with truth.
The Assyrian is the first of a two-part series about Tiglath Ashur, the son of Sennacherib, who ruled as king of Assyria from 705–681 BC, Assyria's Golden Age. This hefty book begins with Tiglath's birth to a Greek concubine in Nineveh, where as a child he narrowly escapes from castration (apparently Assyrian kings would thin their herd of sons by castrating a good number of male children). From this moment on, Tiglath becomes a favorite in the eyes of the king. He trains as a soldier and leads ...more
Tony Meszaros
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set some 7 centuries BC, this is the story of a noble born Assyrian prince from childhood to adulthood. It is rich with court intrigue and treachery, battles, cruelty, love, honour, etc. It is one of the very few books that can be held up against Gary Jenning's "Aztec".

The detail is rich and draw you in, transporting you to a very distant place. It's painful watching the main protagonist go through his mistakes, driven by a sense of honour that he refuses to set aside. And by the time he learns
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I first read this twenty years ago and loved it. I loved Tilgath Ashur the war hero who cared so much about virtue, favorite of his father Sennacherib, loyal to his brother Esarhaddon no matter what. This time it took me almost a month to get through it, with detours through eleven other books! Difficult. Once we reached Tilgath's adulthood, the harder he tried to be virtuous the more trouble he let his people of Assyria fall into. I did enjoy Tilgath's encounters with foreign nations such as th ...more
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I continue to read this book. I guess it's because it is about Sumeria which is one of my favorite subjects and this may be the only novel on the subject - not counting Gilgamesh 8*)

Amateurish writing, pedestrian, predictable plot about a king who is "noble and good and in every way worthy of being a king." Of course he is also a mass murderer, pederast, torturer, and slave trader. But that at least is honest for the period.

Too bad there's not a Patrick O'Brian for Mesopotamia.
Sevag Sarmazian
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my. What a novel. I read this book and immediately followed it by its sequel The Blood Star.

All I have to say in praise of these 2 incredible books is this: after reading these two, I couldn't bring myself to read another work of fiction for months because I knew whatever I read would pale in comparison.

I'm just mad I didn't know about these books 30 years ago!
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written. Strong character development, good pace and fun read. Aztec by Gary Jennings is better but this is a very good book of similar quality.
Juan Cruz
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For historic fiction fans. This is one of the best books I have read. I'm a starting the second part right now.
Lisa Tubsterr
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My copy is falling to bits I've read it so often. An epic novel.
Andrew Reilly
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Clashing armies, forbidden romance, palace intrigue, and fascinating characters and civilizations from history brought to vivid life - the saga of ancient Assyrian prince Tiglath Ashur checks every box you could want from historical fiction. If you're a fan of Game of Thrones or just enjoy a well-told yarn, I can't recommend "The Assyrian" and its excellent sequel "The Blood Star" (which picks up immediately after the first book ends) highly enough. They combine to tell a rich story on an epic s ...more
Felicia LIttle
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-crafted novel. Tight prose and exhilarating fight and battle scenes. Reading it, I was taken back to the glory of Ancient Assyria. I enjoyed following the hero, Tiglath's, journey from childhood to adulthood during which time he became a legendary warrior. The author brought history to life for me and that's all I could want, right? Still, Tiglath's obliviousness to the obvious was annoying. While above all things he wanted to be honorable, he could not see the dishonorable action ...more
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo è un libro che si inizia a leggere perché l'ambientazione nell'antica Assiria è molto promettente. Ed in effetti, a lettura ultimata, posso dire che mantiene ciò che promette. Potrebbe stare in piedi anche come libro a sé stante, certo che l'epilogo è letteralmente un invito a leggere il seguito, e poiché questa lettura si è rivelata ottima, difficile resistere alla tentazione di conoscere ulteriori avventure del protagonista.
Circa la veridicità dei dettagli non saprei dire, non sono un'
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised I'd never even heard of this book until I stumbled across it the other day. Creates an exotic feel for Mesopotamia and adjoining peoples around 700 BCE. Great use of culturally appropriate similes.

Half a star off for plot predictability. Another half a star for the story dragging in places. And a third half a star for at least one major anachronism: The famous Ishtar Gate in Babylon? That was only built a century later. That'd be like reading a novel about New York in the 1830's an
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whine about your girlfriend, go to war, complain about your brother, wash, rinse, repeat...
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book!!! Great story line with great characters.
Phillip McCollum
Wow, this book was long winded. I think Nicholas Guild could have used a little more editorial work as he had a tendency to repeat himself and go off into tiring introspection. The Assyrian was published in 1987, perhaps when there was a little more patience for this type of thing. But even that, I doubt, is a valid reason for 243,842 words that could have been cut by a third.

There have been comparisons of this book to James Clavell's Shogun, and its scope is just as wide, but there was somethin
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il libro mi è piaciuto.

La trama è molto bella.
C'è sempre qualcosa che succede.
Non vi sono mai punti morti e credo sia il libro più "page turner" che abbia letto da parecchio.
Il lettore è completamente immerso in questa realtà ormai scomparsa.

Tuttavia ho letto questo libro dopo aver letto che quasi tutte le recensioni dicevano "il miglior romanzo storico che abbia mai letto" e quando le aspettative sono altissime è facile trovare un motivo per esser delusi. Io l'ho trovato nella trattazi
Victor Bruneski
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook
The second Nicholas Guild book I have read, and he hasn't disappointed me.

The Assyrian is probably his most famous book, it is the one I hear the most about from him anyway. I heard a lot of good things about it and after finishing The Berlin Warning I was really looking forward to reading this.

This is set in the distant past where Greece is still a baby and Assyria rules the "four corners of the earth". A lot of the characters are based on real people, but the main character, Tiglath Ashur, i
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histórica, aventuras
Excelente novela histórica ambientada en la Asiria del S. VII a.c. Cuenta la vida de dos hermanastros y príncipes asirios, su amistad y su odio, sus peleas y envidias, sus amores y aventuras, y como telón de fondo la historia de una época poco novelada pero muy interesante en la que conocemos el esplendor y caída de un imperio, el asirio, y de muchos otros pueblos y culturas de alrededor: egipcios, acadios, babilonios, sumerios, medas, hititas, fenicios ….
Las dos novelas de la serie (El Asirio y
Ana Elena Romero

Siglo VII a. C. Tiglath Assur y Asarhadón, hermanastros, excelentes amigos e hijos del rey de Asiria, comparten sueños y secretos, aunque saben que parten muy atrás en la línea de sucesión a la corona. Pero tras la designación del heredero al trono, una plaga de suicidios y asesinatos, que conduce a Asiria al borde de la gu erra civil mientras tribus bárbaras invaden el país, les despeja el camino. Son tiempos terribles en los que se suceden traiciones y matanzas sangrientas, y muchos v
[After reading the second book in this series, I want to edit this review to say that if you're not sure you'll like this series or if you're finding the first book slow in the beginning, don't give up. Give the series a fair shot. The second book is worth it.]

There was a lot I liked about this book but a fair amount I didn't. The likes all follow the lines of well-researched, authentic feeling, decent characters and character development, and a lot of great battle scenes. But my dislikes are ve
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mesopotamia
I enjoyed reading about this time period, since there isn't much written. After having read The Egyptian by Mika Waltari subsequently, I now consider this a "rip-off" of the other much superior novel. There were the descriptions of the Assyrian culture, Tilglath Ashur's travels and bloody battles, but it lacked the spiritual quest of the Waltari book and the depth of the main character. I considered the sequel The Blood Star superior.
Chad Tronetti
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, very good characters. Guild sets a realistic, full-bodied historical stage for his deeply human characters. The tension and pace was excellent. I was captivated from beginning to end. My only criticism is that of the editor. There were several gramatical and spelling errors throughout the book that would, at times, distract. Otherwise a highly recommendable piece of Historical Fiction.
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts out with what feels like more of an aim towards exploring what Assyria was and by the end of the book reads like a fairly usual fantasy political novel. It is very well written, the characters are fun though lacking in suspense. You can infer the conclusion of every problem- the good guy lives.
So it's a long book that begins with a historical fiction concept and ends as sort of an intrigue filled fantasy political thing.
It's worth reading! Very well written for a fantasy fan
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
  • Jerusalem
  • Hound
  • Killer of Men (Long War, #1)
  • The Hippopotamus Marsh (Lords of the Two Lands, #1)
  • Empire Rising (Eskkar Saga, #2)
  • Men of Bronze
  • The Pillars of Rome (Republic, #1)
  • King and Goddess
  • Over the Wine-Dark Sea (Hellenic Traders, #1)
  • Attila (Attila Trilogy, #1)
  • The Winter Mantle
  • El puente de Alcántara
  • Eagle in the Snow: A Novel of General Maximus and Rome's Last Stand
  • The Spear of Crom
  • Pride of Carthage
  • By the Sword (Spoils of Olympus, #1)
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
Nicholas Guild was born in Belmont, California in 1944. He graduated from Occidental College with a B.A. in English in 1966 and from the University of California at Berkeley with an M.A. in Comparative Literature (1968) and a Ph.D. in English (1972). Since then he has divided his time between teaching and writing. He currently lives in Frederick, MD.
More about Nicholas Guild...

Tiglath Ashur (2 books)

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99