Start by marking “The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book” as Want to Read:
The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book

The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book

All animals have their favorite foods, and the wide-mouthed frog couldn't be more curious about what they are. This talkative frog with a huge mouth just can't stop asking the creatures he encounters what they like to eat--that is, until he stumbles upon a creature who just loves to eat wide-mouthed frogs!
Published March 1st 1996 by Dial Books (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Wide-Mouthed Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wide-Mouthed Frog

Nicole
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought I would start keeping track of the books I've read with my four year old, Dominic that we love reading together.

I am a passionate reader and it seems to be contagious... it's spread though-out the house. It starts slow little things here and there…my husband sees me reading a book with a smile. But the outbreak is bad when it comes to the younger members of the house hold…maybe its genetic?
I have always read with my children as my mother read to me and there are some children’s books
midnightfaerie
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
2 yr old twins loved it as well as my five year old. pop ups were fantastic. animals had mouths that you could make talk by opening and closing book, and the alligator mouth was so big it fascinated them all. only problem is that I can see this book getting beat up quickly. I'd recommend an adult keeping it on a high shelf for safe keeping.
David
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holy crap, this was unexpectedly hilarious.
Mindy
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Adorable! My 5 year old came home from his first day of Kindergarten and couldn't stop telling me about the Wide-Mouthed Frog! Fast forward a few days later and he's still talking about it. I attended back to school night and his kindergarten teacher said the kids beg her everyday to read this book to them. So I felt like I needed to get this and read it with Lee. What a joy to watch him excited by every turn of the page! Each of his older siblings took a turn reading it to him. I'm sure he will ...more
Coenraad
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die grappie met sy variasies mag oorbekend wees, veral as jy iemand van enkelsyferouderdom in die familie het wat die kuns van grappe vertel ontdek, maar dit maak glad nie saak nie: dit is die tegniese uitvoering van die vertelling wat hierdie boek so skouspelagtig maak. Die diere hap regtig na jou, veral die krokodil, en die slot is met een woord uitspattig. Koop twee sodat jy 'n rugsteunkopié het wanneer die eerste een voosgelees is!

The joke may be familiar, but it is the technical finesse and
Cat
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this pop-up! I use it during story time with toddlers and preschoolers and they always enjoy hearing it, sometimes again and again! Pairs well with a frog puppet and frog craft for spring and summer.
DeNae
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the pop ups in this are fantastic. My almost 4 year old and I both loved it!
Karen
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Fun pop-up book.
Katherine Austin
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-4050
1)Book summary, in your own words (3 pts)
-The Wide-Mouthed Frog is a book about none other, a wide-mouthed frog. The wide-mouthed frog's name is never mentioned, and instead, for humor, the phrase "the wide-mouthed frog" is repeated over and over again. The frog has a healthy diet of eating flies, but he is very curious about what the other animals in the pond like to eat. He runs into several animals along the way, one of them being an alligator who enjoys... wide-mouthed frogs. So, the frog ha
Dana
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"I'm a wide-mouthed frog, and I eat flies!" said the wide-mouthed pop-up frog, sticking out his tongue. And he's curious to know what other animals eat, too. But the wide-mouthed frog must think fast when he comes across a wide-mouthed-frog-eating alligator! After reading this fun pop-up book, I had requests for "again!"
Jennifer Binns
In this pop-up book, a curious frog meets several animals. He inquires what each animal eats until he comes across an alligator. When he asks what the alligator eats, his reply is he eats "delicious wide-mouthed frogs". The frog then promptly saves himself by jumping into the water. The book would be a great read aloud for younger students.
Sandra Guerfi
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This enjoyable pop up decides to visit his fellow animals to see what they like to eat. As we're introduced to each one they open their mouth wide open as they list what they like to place inside. But when Frog meets up with Alligator and finds out what he likes to eat things get interesting. A quick, fun pop up for your little ones to enjoy while perhaps eating all the things they like to.
Jackie
Great for read-alouds...stretching your mouth as wide as it can go when the frog asks "What Do You Eat?"...until he comes to the alligator, it is a different story all together.

Used for "Frog Fever" Family Storytime-May, 2010.
Hilary
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This sturdy pop-up book is sure to please with its "splashy" ending! The pages can double as "puppets" as the reader gently moves the pages slightly open and closed and flips back and forth between characters. Best read-aloud choice of this folktale favorite.
Jessica Allen
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
From my experience, toddlers seem to really enjoy this book a lot. The pop-up details are fun for children but it's best to have adults read this one aloud... it's easy for children to tear the pages since they are pop-up. Very cute and easy to comprehend for young children.
Valerie
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
CLASSSIC! Gotta have, gotta read, gotta perform! My personal favorite of all Faulkner's stories. Great for animals, water, eating, or just plain scared! themes. Toddlers, preschoolers, school-age, adults. All love this book.
Brittany
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for kids because it is a pop-up book, which is so engaging for the kids. Also, my class made a paper bag puppet of a frog with a big tongue that sticks out just like the book...a lot of fun!
Danette
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Reminded me of a joke my mom used to tell. So funny!
Read with Naomi and Julia.
Savannah
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Title: The Wide-mouthed Frog

Author: Keith Faulkner

Illustrator: Jonathan Lambert

Genre: pop up book

Theme(s): animals

Opening line/sentence: ‘“I am a wide-mouthed frog and I eat flies,” said the wide-mouthed frog.’

Brief Book Summary: Each page features an animal that explains what they like to eat. The main character (the wide-mouthed frog) is very arrogant until he meets a predator (the crocodile), which sends him right back to his pond.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:

Horn Book Reviews

(http:
Mama Bibliosoph
Many will be familiar with the traditional story already. If not, you can get a more traditional take by checking out The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog by Ana Martín Larrañaga.

A wide-mouthed swamp frog asks the other animals in its habitat what they like to eat. "I'm a wide-mouthed frog and I eat flies," the frog says, and a pop-up shows the reader a long tongue with a fly stuck to the end and just how wide his mouth is. We meet other animals and see and hear about their favorite foods, but eventually t
Diana Thomsen
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
The pop-ups on this one really do rule the day. The story is cute, but highly predictable, and without the pop-ups, this book would barely warrant a mention. But that last page...yep. It's a keeper! And the frog's mouth when he closes up tight...those lips! Love!
Lillian
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a really amazing book that Jay read at our library branch's story time. Our branch of the library has it but he said it doesn't usually circulate because its soooooooooo good! We might want to buy this one.
Jonny Paul
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Opinions are a lil divided on this book around the library. Some people think it's a little more sinister but I quite enjoy it as a fun little game of a book with dynamic interesting voices and a fun twist at the end. Plus, any chance to get a popup book into a story time :p
Susan
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, storybook
I liked this book. I appreciated that some of the animals were females (often in storybooks all animals seem to be male - ugh). I enjoyed the bright illustrations and pop-up mouths on the animals. I very much appreciated the good chuckle at the end.
Samantha
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one is pretty cute. I liked it.
Milton Moon Louie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
What do wide-mouth frogs eat? B
Cara Byrne
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
My kids' grandmother loves to tell them about the wide-mouthed frog, so we were very excited to find this pop up book. Part of preschool story time.
Annie Payne
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kids and adults alike, loved this book!
Leila
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My nephew had me read this book to him and it was so much fun making all the big sounds and talking like each character. Sometimes, children's books are such a breath of fresh air.
  • Jump!
  • The Doghouse
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Clip-Clop
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Monkey And Me