Start by marking “A Dangerous Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #1)

(Swanlea Spinsters #1)

Griff Knighton's found the perfect way to avoid being trapped into marriage with one of the Earl of Swanlea's daughters: he'll swap identities with his man of affairs during their next visit to Swan Park, and be free to pursue his own desires.

But Griff didn't reckon on the brazen, voluptuous Rosalind, who could tempt even a saint into sinning, and Griff is no saint. She w
Published March 28th 2006 by Avon (first published November 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Love

Start your review of A Dangerous Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #1)
Mo
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one. Griff... or should I say "Gruff" - bit of an ass at times. LOL. But, sure we love them, don't we!! Rosalind. Love her spirit, her independece.

The World Cup is going to cut into my reviewing for the next month. Eventhough Ireland didn't qualify I will be stuck to the bloody telly.

There is not so strongly rooted in the human heart as envy."

EB
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Never have I ever more deservedly given a book 3 stars. Let’s do this pro/con style.

PRO:
Lovely, lively, intelligent, robust, loyal, protective, self-sufficient heroine.
CON:
Total asshole, deceitful, easy to anger, belligerent hero.

PRO:
Use of the word cock!
CON:
Use of the word honeypot! :(((

PRO:
Wonderful side characters. Hell, I cared more about the hinted at romance for the second book than I did this one.
CON:
The sex was WAY too dubiously consensual and always seemed to be the hero’s way of shut
Erin
The 1st book of the Swanlea Spinsters series is near perfection!
If you want the H and h quoting Shakespeare to one another, 'A Dangerous Love' has that in abundance.
The hero, Griff is a bit of an ass, quick to anger and can lie easily(ergo his disguise-but even when that is found out he keeps some of his cards to his chest which for the story is great but for being a good human being, not so great) BUT he does a nice bit of 'grovelling' or rather 'convincing' in the end which was actually reall
C Joy
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading the first few sentences, I was hooked. I always liked the identity-swapping conflict and anticipating how it'll be resolved. This story was quite unpredictable so that's another plus. While the setting was mostly in Swanlea Park, the characters' wit and banter were exciting enough.

I immediately liked Rosalind! I have a thing for independent, sassy, and sharp-tongued heroines. Aside from her striking good looks and her passion to be an actress, she also has a fancy for loud colors.
Shelly
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Why only 3 stars? I loved the witty banter, plot line, the typical SJ formula which I love, the secondary characters (can't wait for Helena and Daniel's story!!). What didn't I love? The two main characters. Although I liked Griff a bit more, I didn't feel a connection to either one of them. In fact at times I grew tired of Rosalind, and highly annoyed. I don't think she did anything wrong, but obviously there was just something I can put my finger on to cause me not to really like them. I think ...more
Donna
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I started off this series by reading the third book (After the Abduction) and I was intrigued by the comments made by and about Griff and Rosalind in that book. They sounded like an interesting couple. Having finished this book, all I can say is that they are truly one amazingly well matched pair of characters - strong willed, loyal, determined, passionate, and intelligent. Sassy Rosalind matches wits with Griff from their first encounter and they both try to gain the upper hand by quoting Shake ...more
Virginia
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Despite my utter annoyance with Rosalind, the female lead, who I find completely slappable and truly frustrating, I still liked the story overall. Even though I found the secondary leads far more interesting and found myself reading the book for hints of their story (and of course, the setup for the next in this series), the main pair's storyline and conflict and resolution was interesting enough, I suppose.

Since I mostly skip the smexy parts of romance novels (after you've read hundreds of nov
Luvmyfamily
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This one gets a 3.5 because I really like the author and her writing is very captivating however this time I had a hard time liking the main characters both. The woman was too stubborn and suspicious and the man was selfish and inconsiderate. It ended well but I wasn't thrilled with them for the most part of the story.
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
In a Dangerous Love we have Griff who has always been thought of as illegitimate and had hard life but has made something of himself in trade. He knows he is the rightful Lord of Swanlea but he can’t prove it because his parents marriage certificate conveniently disappeared not long after they were married. He has been contacted by his uncle with an ultimatum that he will give him the certificate if he agrees to marry one of his daughters. He wants to make sure that they are secure before turnin ...more
Saly
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
I finally finished this book after so long but it was a pretty good read albeit a very slow start.
Becky
This is the first book of the Swanlea Spinster series. The Earl of Swanlea has 3 daughters that he desperately wants to see settled securely before he passes. He also has regrets he plans trying to right. He sends a letter to Griff Knighton trying to get him to marry one of his daughters.

Griff, our hero, has a plan during the visit that will give him more freedom to do what he wants and be able to get to know everyone under a different guise.

I thought this book was just okay. Unfortunatley I jus
Irene
Rosalie has a tendency to cry and Griff's jealousy is so irrational he becomes jealous of himself at one point, but together they make the best Shakespeare-quoting OTP dropped in a swapped identity plot I have had the pleasure to read yet. Everything works like clockwork in A Dangerous Love by Sabrina Jeffries. Rosalie and Griff practically buzz with electricity from the second they lay eyes on each other, as Rosalie nips at Griff’s heels to find out what he’s up to at Swanlea and Griff is not g ...more
Lauren
3 Stars

While slow to start, the story picks up speed 1/3 of the way in and is entertaining overall despite the secret keeping and runaway heroine tropes that often rub me the wrong way.

Griff and Rosalind are likable enough and their sex scenes are well-written and steamy. Nevertheless, it is actually Helena and Daniel's opposites attract chemistry that is most intriguing. Looking forward to reading their story.
Melissa
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I started the second in this series already. I would recommend reading this series in order.
Sara
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this book at random and I really enjoyed it. The detail and character development was really good and it seems that author really did her research. Definitely going to read more books by her in the future!
ViviKitty
Summary: On the verge of death from a lung disease, the current Earl of Swanlea is determined to right a wrong that has guilted him for years and ensure his three “spinster” daughters are cared for when he passes all in one fell swoop.

Despite being falsely labeled a bastard and having his inheritance taken from him, Marsden Griffin “Griff” Knighton has done well for himself. He is now a rich man, the owner of Knighton Trading, and is determined to find a way on the Lords Council that soon plans
Karyn Gerrard
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
2.5 out of 5 rounded up to 3.

A regency version of 'The Taming of the Shrew'. Shrew being the key word here. The heroine Rosalind was a full-bore shrew through most of this book. When she wasn't coming off the rails, she was crying. The hero Griff's wild mood swings were hard to swallow. He uttered some nasty thoughts aloud. That said, it was well written and plotted, but I didn't really connect with either of them. I was not really rooting for their HEA, though Griff was entirely sexy when he wa
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
Great angst. Loved the characters. I wish there had been a bit more focus of the angst on Rosalind's supposed plainness, but she was vulnerable and insecure on that front so it played nicely into one of my favorite tropes. On to the next in the series!

Update: I can't believe it took so long for me to circle back to this! Adding it to the chubby heroine shelf because there are a couple of references to Rosalind's insecurity about her figure that lead me to believe she is plus-sized. (4.5 stars)
Anna May
Nov 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Does she know how to write a woman without turning her into an idiot, know it all or just simply a very childish, annoying person?

Her men are all brilliantly written. But the women are sheer impossible.
Lynne Tull
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency-romance
This story was too wordy for me. I skipped a lot of the redundant dialog. Of course, I am not a fan of a shrewish heroine. Rosalind fits the shrew role in my opinion. The story is confusing at times. You will see why-it is hard to keep up with the 'hero' and his 'man of business'.
Layne
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Dangerous Love

Once again Sabrina Jeffries delivers a journey worth taking. Did you know that Shakespeare was "a naughty bard"? Trust me, that's a hysterical note in this book. I had no idea! This book offers love, revenge and laughter. Take the journey! It's worth it!
Pamela Shropshire
I'm still binging on Sabrina Jeffries; I started on the Swanlea Spinsters today, which refers to the three daughters of the current Earl of Swanlea: Helena, the eldest; Rosalind, the middle; and Juliet, the youngest.

The Earl is very ill from a lung disease and expects to die soon. He has written a letter to his heir, Griff Knighton, and asked him to come to Swanlea.

There is a rather complicated backstory that I won't go into here. Suffice it to say that Griff hates the Earl for something he did
Julie C-F
Griff is an ambitious man who is out to prove that he is not a legitimate son by getting his parents' wedding certificate from the man who stole it, the current earl of Swanlea. He traded places with his man of affairs to be able to look for that piece of paper. He didn't find it, but found a woman who dogged him because she is suspicious and has an uncanny ability to read people: Rosalind, the current earl's second daughter, one of the Swanlea spinster sisters, one of them he has to marry befor ...more
Limecello
So this was a Hoopla "read" so an audiobook...
And lowkey I'm mad I wasted my last check out of the month on this - I've never DNF'd an audiobook yet but ... here we are.

First ... I was like "oh dear god no more Shakespeare/botched Shakespeare" [cuz I'd just finished A Duke of Her Own by James...]
But then also - like IN GENERAL but especially this week - I couldn't stand the character hypocrisy.
The heroine jumping to conclusions, not listening to anyone else, being mad at her father for things sh
Amanda Hopeless.Book.Romantic
“No one is born to courage. Courage is a habit you develop after cowardice has gotten nothing.”

A Dangerous Love is the first book in the Swanlea Sisters series by Sabrina Jeffries. The Swanlea sisters are the only children of the Earl of Swanlea. Griff Knighton is a business magnate and he’s the distant cousin and heir to the earl. Rosalind, the middle sister, has taken control of her father’s estate and become protector for her family. As soon as Griff and Rosalind meet, their strong personalit
Small_wonder
May 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I liked it for most parts....but by the end....I am just so angry at the stupid heroine that she ruinedthe entire book for me.

According to me, hero did not get what he deserved. He gave up far more than the stupid, pathetic,and selfish heroine. He should have got closure in some way. He just forgave everything for her.......and she ran away from him knowing that he isn't wrong in his will. She should have tried to heal him by being with him instead of going away to London on her own. (Suppose lo
Brianna
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was lots of fun.

I love Sabrina Jeffries' writing style. She balances wit and steaminess quite well. This book was no different. Rosalind was a strong-minded, clever woman. I also appreciated that she wasn't the normal petite heroine. Griff, the hero, was quite layered. Ambitious to a fault, he didn't see all he was giving up in order to further his company. Still, he had a way about him. Plus, this book has a scene that makes plums(a fruit I dislike)into something rather...titilating. The
Cherie
Jun 24, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf, donated
Chapter 3 ends this way:

"Because if I arrive first, I'll be tempted to explain just why you are so late. And I have a suspicion that your family--particularly your father--would not approve."

She caught him in her father's study riffling through the desk, at midnight. They've engaged in a verbal bout using Shakespeare. He has switched places with his man-of-business and is having a go at not being arrogant.

This is a DNF because a hero would not threaten a lady. A man-of-business absolutely wouldn
Valerie Columbia
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good... I read it faster than I've read other books.. Kept me pretty interested the whole time.
I get SO FRUSTRATED when it takes the characters too long to discover or communicate their love for each other..& that was DEFINITELY a frustration in this book.
So many secrets that take the whole book to be exposed...
Was surprised by ONE of the twists at the end relating to the Griff's company -- want expecting the exact way he went about it... Can't say more bc don't wanna put any spoilers😝
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 1 Mar 10, 2016 08:37AM

• A Kiss to Remember (Once Upon a Time, #3)
  • Stormswept
  • The Rogue to Ruin (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #3)
  • Sin and Sensibility (Griffin Family, #1)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Seduction on a Snowy Night
  • Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2)
  • One Night in London (The Truth About the Duke, #1)
  • The Way to a Duke's Heart (The Truth About the Duke, #3)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • Ten Kisses to Scandal (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #2)
  • By Love Unveiled (Restoration, #1)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • After the Kiss (Notorious Gentlemen, #1)
  • Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
Sabrina Jeffries is the NYT bestselling author of over 50 novels and works of short fiction (some written under the pseudonyms Deborah Martin and Deborah Nicholas). Whatever time not spent writing in a coffee-fueled haze of dreams and madness is spent traveling with her husband and adult autistic son or indulging in one of her passions—jigsaw puzzles, chocolate, and music. With over 9 million book ...more

Swanlea Spinsters (5 books)
  • A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
  • After the Abduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #3)
  • Dance of Seduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #4)
  • Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)