Start by marking “A Taste of Russia” as Want to Read:
A Taste of Russia

A Taste of Russia

A definitive modern cookbook on Russian cuisine, "A Taste of Russia" layers superbly researched recipes with informative essays on the dishes' rich historical and cultural context. With over 200 recipes on everything from borsch to blini, from Salmon Coulbiac to Beef Stew, from Marinated Mushrooms to Black Bread, Goldstein shows off the best that Russian cooking has to off ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Russian Information Services (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about A Taste of Russia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste of Russia

margaret
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
really fun reference for 19th cent and soviet era food, with lots of references to food in chekhov and gogol, and occasionally tolstoy (not very much dostoevsky though - not even the blini recipe, which was too bad!).
Darren
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that has a lot of promise, masses of information yet sadly might only "preach to the converted" due to its somewhat reduced accessibility.

Here is a veritable bible of Russian cuisine, featuring a very comprehensive introduction to a relatively unknown, pre-judged subject and over 200 recipes that you can make at home using locally-acquired ingredients. This is a new "30th Anniversary edition" of this classic book yet, sadly, things have not been brought up to typical production st
Daisy
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Daisy by: Russian Life magazine
I think I have to buy this one. It's an inventive resource.

My library copy keeps opening itself to the recipe for Russian Hot Chocolate -- which has an egg yolk in it!

Some things I intend to try:
Rose Petal Jam
Homemade Sour Cream
Russian-Style Mustard
Barrel-Style Dill Pickles
Casserole of Mashed Potatoes
Russian Black Bread
Sourdough White Bread
... and lots more

Each recipe is accompanied by a cultural lesson or paragraph with tips, all interesting stuff. I think I might need to own this book.
Aimee
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is possibly the best cookbook of Russian recipes I've ever used. Although the recipes may be more pre-revolutionary/first wave Russian emigre, the directions are so great that everything I've made has been fantastic.
Joyce
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been cooking from this cookbook for over 30 years. The recipes are excellent especially, the hot chocolate, walnut crescents, apple cake with chocolate glaze & salade bagration. When winter comes, this cookbook comes out and we have some wonderful meals.
Grace Krilanovich
yeah I read this cookbook too and it's really good -- lots of culinary history in addition to a wide variety of recipes of various degrees of difficulty. The author's voice is idiosyncratic (literary?) without being too patronizing/precious, as can often be the case. Maybe it's just me.
Kathleen
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting organization. Lots of background on Russian food traditions. A cookbook that is also a satisfying read before bed.
Linda
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I first discovered Darra Goldstein's "The Vegetarian Hearth" a cold weather collection of delicious vegetarian savory pies and root veggies. I accidentally stumbled on "A Taste of Russia" at the library and just couldn't put it down. The intro offers a brief history of Russia, which I found very interesting. I used several recipes for my holiday parties and all of them were big hits.

Marinated Mushrooms, the leftovers just keep getting better and better! My only regret is that I did not have time
תניה
The updated edition of his classic cookbook is great! All the basics of Russian cuisine are included along with explanations breaking down, not only the provenance of the ingredients used, but also the influences over the ages that have gone into shaping such a cuisine: Scandinavian, French, Polish, German, Ukrainian, etc...
Although the measurements are in imperial, which in my eyes is the only real letdown in the entire book, the essays go a long way to creating an image of Russia for those of
Galina