Start by marking “Murder by the Old Maine Stream (Nora Lassiter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder by the Old Maine Stream (Nora Lassiter, #1)

Murder by the Old Maine Stream

(Nora Lassiter #1)

If ever a woman was not cut out for life in a backwoods town in Maine it's chic city woman Nora Lassiter.  If ever there was a misunderstanding about what a woman does for a living, the very idea that Nora could be a "hotshot New York detective" takes the cake. But when she stumbles upon a body in the woods, and her uncle becomes the prime murder suspect, Nora’s plans to r ...more
Published February 8th 2011 (first published January 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Murder by the Old Maine Stream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder by the Old Maine Stream

Kate
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am so glad I stumbled across this book- I bought it for my Kindle and was immediately hooked! The main character goes from NYC to Maine when a relative passes away. While there she is mistaken for a NYC private detective, and she is about to correct everyone when a wad of cash is put in her hand and she is offered her first case. Having just been downsized from her job, she needs the money, so she sets about trying to get proove that her client's hubby is cheating. Along the way she gets caugh ...more
Timeforme
Main Characters:
Nora Lassiter - A New Yorker visting relatives in Maine.
Nick Renzo - Police Chief

SynopsisL
Nora is laid off from a programming job in New York. She goes to Maine to visit relatives and attend a funeral. While there, she manages to get pulled into a couple PI jobs: 1) Getting evidence of an affair for a woman wanting a divorce and 2) Determining whether a neighbor poisoned a pet dog. She also stumbles across a murdered man and becomes entangled in the murder investigation.

Nick an
Judy
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable little cozy mystery. The characters are likeable; there is romance. For the most part, spelling and grammar are impeccable, with one exception: the use of palate when palette is the correct word. As a former English teacher and spelling vigilante, I notice things like that and they grate on the nerves. Compared to another recently-read new author, though, this one has her act together.
Mascanlon
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Nora Lassiter heads to Maine after finding her fiancee in the shower with someone else on the same day she is laid off from her job. Sound familiar? I thought so to. And of course a relative she hasn't seen in years is caught up in a murder and she sets out to solve it meeting the hunky and un attached local chief of police. This is was an OK read but I'm not sure I'll search out the next ones in the series. Way too formula I'm afraid.
Ann Marie
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
It was just a fun mystery. Some romance but I didn't have to skip any pages. I liked it so much I immediately got the second book. Sad to say I couldn't find any more. A NYC young woman goes to Maine to meet long lost relatives and gets mistaken for a hotshot private detective and gets involved in cases and meets a hunky sheriff. Plus her great aunts are delightful.
Meag
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a fun easy read. After tackling a few heavy emotionally distraught books I wanted something that would read like a light snack and this book was it. I enjoyed it and I am even planing on reading the sequel. I would never be able to call this a great work of fiction but it was enjoyable with some cute characters and funny moments.
Kimberly
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cosy-mystery
Bernadine Fagan has become a new favorite author. She hs created a wonderful group of characters. it is wonderful to find an author who can write without sex and swearing. Murder by the Old Maine Stream is an extremely FUN read. It has lots of humor slipped in around a mystery that keeps you hooked til the end. i can't wait for the sequel.
Amanda Desilva
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended by my mother-in-law, I tried it out and it's not for me. Flat, uninteresting, shallow main chracter with boring writing... finished it, but more to see if it was as predictable as I thought.... it was.
Marianne Petit
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fun - fast paced mystery!
Ms. Fagan has created unforgettable characters who will make you laugh and keep you guessing until the end.
Nora is a hoot and the twists and turns keep you glued to the pages.
I look forward to more of Ms. Fagan's delightful stories.

Linda
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great light, fast read. Funny, too!!
Jill
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute story and insight into Maine and it's people. I loved the mystery it was quirky and fun.
Glenda
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
cozy mystery about a New York girl trying to reconnect with her country relatives and gets involved in a murder. I enjoyed it.
Juliette Townsend
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is laugh out loud funny! It’s easy to read and very entertaining. The characters are hysterical, especially Agnes… read the rest of this review here: http://paperbacksandfrosting.com
Nadeen
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
Average cozy mystery..nothing bad, nothing great.
Alexandria