Start by marking “The Guardian (Dark-Hunter, #20; Dream-Hunter, #5; Were-Hunter, #6; Hellchaser, #3)” as Want to Read:

The Guardian (Dark-Hunter #20)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  16,321 Ratings  ·  762 Reviews

Dream-Hunter Lydia has been charged with the most sacred and dangerous of missions: To descend into the Nether Realm and find the missing god of dreams before he betrays the secrets that could kill her and her kind. What she never expects is to be taken prisoner by the Realm’s most vicious guardian…

Seth’s time is running out. If he can’t hand over the entrance to Olympus

Mass Market Paperback, First, 345 pages
Published November 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardian

Ana
I've always had a soft spot for gingers.

Gingers_Are_Beautiful

I love me some gingers.

B6_TH2sl_IEAA74b_B

This went from 4 stars to 3 faster than you can say immortality.

OK, in all seriousness, I liked this book. I'm very very picky when it comes to fantasy fiction. The authors tend to milk the series for all its worth with a shitload of awful sequels. I prefer reading stand-alone books. As for book series - ain't nobody got time for that.

I have too many Dark-Hunter DNF's to count. But I stuck by The Guardian till the end. The story i
Sophia Triad
Seth (Egyptian demigod: Mother human and Father the Egyptian god Set) and Lydia Tsakali (Half Dream-Hunter, half Were-Hunter)

This is one of the best books in the series and Seth has climbed up among the first places of my favorite dark hunter characters.

Set was rejected by his father, his mother and later on by a family of jackals that raised him and sold him to heartless god Noir that drained his power, made him a slave and kept him for thousands of years in Azmodea. There, he was constantly be
Katie Michaels
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me why I fell in love with Sherrilyn Kenyon. For me, the Dark-Hunter series has kind of lost its way a little bit lately. But The Guardian felt a lot like some of the earlier books that I loved so much. It's technically a Dream Hunter novel, but it brings together many different threads from previous books. We've got many of the Dream Hunter characters we've met before, like Solin, Delphine & Jericho. But our heroine is half Dream Hunter, half Kattagarian... so we've got a ...more
Jilly
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Color me surprised! After loathing the last book, I reluctantly decided to give this one a try, and lo and behold, I loved it! This one took me back to the reason I liked this series in the first place.

To start with, we actually had likable characters - both the male and female. There is Seth, a demi-god who is stuck in the "hell realm" and has been tortured for thousands of years but can't die. He has been released to retrieve the "key" to Olympus that will give the key-bearer the ability to de
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
I enjoyed this book despite the annoying heroine. I LOVE Seth, and I love the fact that he's a tortured hero who has actually done some torturing himself. Usually the supposedly "evil" heroes won't hurt a fly. It ended up not mattering what he'd done because with a past like his, I could excuse him for pretty much anything. Maybe not excuse, but understand. I spent this whole book wanting to hug him. Poor guy actually believed the crap the evil dudes have been spewing, believes he's stupid and p ...more
Mimi Smith
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr

Well, color me surprised-I actually liked this book. I only picked it up out of nostalgia- I used to be a real SK fan. Yeah, not so much anymore. This series has been going downhill for a while, IMHO. Too many things/disasters/pantheons. The books have the feeling of not being connected at all, loose ends everywhere, etc. Don't even get me started on Chronicles of Nick. Paradoxes, BS that seriously bugs me and I wish to hell that series never started. This book was marginally better and
Grecia Robles
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gracias Dark Hunters por regresarme al redil  👍👌👍👌

Fue un alivio leer este libro después de lecturas tan malas que tuve esta semana y también fue un alivio que este libro me gustara tanto en la era post Ash ya que para mi la serie decayó bastante, Kenyon ha hecho una capirotada antes no me había quejado de sus mezclas pero ahora parecen sin sentido.

Hablando del libro me encantó y pasa a ser uno de mis favoritos de la serie.

Seth me encantó 😍😍😍 ay es que era un ser torturado que nunca conoció el
Zeek
In this one we get, Zarek, ...or was it Acheron ? Ohhh yes, Seth’s story. Left for dead by selfish, abysmally cruel parents- one of whom happens to be a god of course- then sold into slavery by the people whom he thought had adopted him into their own, Seth has never known a touch that wasn’t accompanied by pain. Now he is Noir's bitch- Noir being the Leader of this particular part of hell. Seth does what Noir tells him… after Noir uses Seth as his personal punching bag of course.

Noir is after
Vick
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
The Guardian is about Seth who is a demigod but he has been Noir's slave for over forty five hundred years. Lydia is a were jackal who is also a dream hunter and she ends up in Azmodea searching for Solin (another dream hunter) who Seth has captured and is torturing on Noir's orders to try and find the key to Olympus.

I know...that was a mouthful and it can be confusing but it manages not to be in some weird way. I will have to say (IMO) that this is NOT a dark hunter book or a dream hunter book
CC
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one a lot. I am surprised. With characters I knew nothing of, I was apprehensive going in.

Seth had a tragic and sad history. (I swear this author may hate men because most of them are tortured in sick and disgusting ways) My heart broke for him. He was damaged. Seriously damaged. How could you not be after never having a kind word or touch your ENTIRE life. He had no self esteem, but I was ok with his negative thoughts or reactions. They were not excessive nor did they really inh
Laurie Garrison
Truthfully, I didn’t want to start this book because I haven’t cared for the last few books in this series. So with my not so high expectations, I kept pushing it back until I had no choice but to read it. When I was done I was wonderfully surprised, I loved it. I felt this was Kenyon back to her old writing self. Yep, you get one very tortured hero;) Kenyon does an awesome job at creating these characters and writing their compelling story. But what I liked most was the Egyptian Gods and story ...more
Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews:::
Seth is guardian to the evil Noir. He's been released from his constant torture so that he can retrieve the key to Olympus from Solin. Its said that he's the only Dream-Hunter who knows were the key is. If Noir gets his hands on the key, he and his Azura will rule the world. Time is runing out for Seth....if Solin doesn't break soon, he will go back to the pits and be tortured for all eternity.

Lydia, Were-Hunter and Dream-Hunter, has gone to Azmodea to retrieve Solin from Noir's evil cluthes. Wh
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
I really enjoyed this story. Although the amount of suffering was a lot to bear. The plot was good but anticlimactic at the end and rather abrupt. I was a little surprised at how quickly the ending happened. Overall though, sent the vibe that true love does conquer all and I can definitely get behind that sentiment. 😊
Cindyg
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I think I'm in love with Seth...for a demigod so tortured and misused for so damn long; he sure had a heart of worth.
This is the first dream hunter book that really rocked my world. I loved the cast of characters except for Noir and Azure of course, what bastards they were. Pure evil right to their black souls. And even after what they did to Seth for forty five thousand years he still survived and even though he did not want to feel hope much less love there was one person who brought those dr
Michelle the Romance Witch
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: print-inventory
wow after reading the last book (Retribution) is was putting this one off for a while in case i was as disappointed... man wish now that i hadn't done that.
This felt like a total return to classic Kenyon. I love the story line and the twisted nature of the Hero. What better way to tame a wild beast then to force him face to face with a beautiful and seemingly unattainable "lily". Love the historical references as always and the return to our Greek pantheon as a focus with sidelines in common Eg
Pamela(AllHoney)
This book is included in the following series: Hellchaser #4, Dream-Hunter #5, Were-Hunter #6, The Entire Dark-Hunterverse #23, and Dark-Hunterverse #31. Lydia Tsakali enters Azmodea to rescue Solin but instead is captured by Seth, slave to Noir and Azura. Seth lets Solin go to bring back the key to Olympus. If Solin fails then Lydia dies. Lydia is a Dream-Hunter and a Were-Hunter (jackel) and loyal to Solin. She is willing to die so that Solin lives.

I liked the characters and the story for the
Saly
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
The last book in this series and even this one is really good, it has gotten my interest back.
Seth was such a tortured soul, betrayed by all in his life and I loved how Lydia got to know him and well healed him. I won't go into the whole mythology of it, Jaden, Thorn etc all make an appearance but I really enjoyed the book.
Nika
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
oh the stupidity of main characters! they were written in new adult fashion even though both are several hundreds years old. I think that says it all and none of it good. jeez louise, deliver me from the Angst!
Wayland Smith
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sherrilyn Kenyon changes gears a bit in her Dark-Hunter series (also part of Dream-Hunter, Were-Hunter, and Hellchaser). Leaving New Orleans, and even the mortal plane, behind, most of this book takes place in Azmodia, one of the hell-realms. None of the regular characters from the series even show up until well past page 200. It is the story of Seth, slave to Noir, one of the rulers here, who has been bound in slavery for centuries, beaten and drained of his powers.

Now he's tasked with getting
Vijetha

Seth, Seth, Seth!! I love you!! Please come out of the book and claim me!

Fantasies aside,
Review to come..!!
Meanwhile follow me and my book adventures at

"Bookshelves and Everything Else"

Keep reading..!!!

Katherine
I don't know why I took so long to read this book. I really don't. Now I'm so happy that I finally did. This is a Top 3 series for me, and books like this one, are the reason why Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of my favorite Authors. I loved both Seth and Lydia. One of the sweetest couple from the series. Also I got the chance to see some other characters I love. This was a little piece of haven! Can't wait for the next one!!
Yelania Nightwalker
Maravilloso. Amo a Seth! Después de leer Retribution, pensé que era la caída de la serie pero noooo!!! The Guardian recupera la calidad a la que nos tiene acostumbradas Kenyon. Éste pasa a ser de mis libros favoritos de la serie.
✎Stacey "The One Night Biter"
Little different this one, but still worth the read....

Way to go Ms. Kenyon
Roxanne
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Any other rules I should know about?” “Keep the toilet seat down at night, and don’t eat the last potato chip. Ever.”

4.5 Stars

Sherrilyn Kenyon is making a come back! Now I'll admit the last few books in the dark hunter/dream-hunter series were really boring. They lacked character growth, sexual tension and suspense. Pretty much anything that made me want to keep reading, so going into The Guardian I was a little worried. I had also resigned myself to mediocre books from now, but I am so glad
Desiree
Nov 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
*Possible Spoilers*
I thought this book was such a waste of both my time and my money. It was completely unoriginal and unimaginative. I must say, Sherrilyn really got me with this one. I will NEVER buy another one of her books again because it's obvious she doesn't care anything about her fanbase and just wants to write any old thing and put it out because she knows her loyal fans will buy it. Well not this one because I'm done. This book was dull and I was wondering throughout the story "Haven'
Sonia
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a relief! After Retribution, I was afraid The Guardian would continue the trend but it was really good! It had a feeling of Sherrilyns earlier books.

What I liked:
- Seth was a prototype of a tortured hero that we love. After thousands of years being tortured by Noir, saying he has trust issues is the understatement of the millenium. Seeing him re-gain some of the trust he lost was so good. He was so hurt that I wanted to cry for him.
But when she brushed her hand lightly against his cock, h
Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's about time Kenyon got her mojo back on track!

I'm more of a Dark-Hunter gal, but boy oh boy I might be swaying and gone to the Dream-Hunter side!

This novel confused the living wits outta me when I first began reading it. Once I got the feel to the story plot and learned more about the characters, no one could make me put this book down.

I loved the Hero with every thread in my body. I honestly can't say I could compare Seth to all the Heroes in this series, although each and every one of them
Stephanie E
I read this book in one day (Is it me, or are her books getting shorter?) Great read, really made up for "Retribution". Seth was a great brooding hero and I did feel alot of chemistry between him and Lydia. For once in a long while, I was not annoyed by the heroine. Great update on Solin also. My only problem is there is now another freakin' Pantheon...How many are there? I am just getting used to the Greek/Atlanteon pantheons, and Ms. Kenyon brings up another one. But one thing that made me for ...more
Cindi
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Do I keep reading these books or give it up? I have been so disappointed with the last few stories that I don't know. I ask myself, if this was another author or a stand-alone book would I like it? Probably wouldn't try more by that author unless I was bored. There wasn't much of a coherent tale if it was a stand-alone. But its Sherrilyn Kenyon! Gah (which was the most overused word in this book)!
Kenyons Minions: The Guardian BOTM 40 36 Apr 17, 2015 12:52AM
The Lost Challenges: The Guardian (Nov 16 to 30) 1 10 Nov 03, 2013 08:58AM
Did you enjoy the latest DH book? 23 90 Apr 18, 2013 03:53PM
Kenyons Minions: The Guardian-Dark-Hunter #21/Dream-Hunter #5 ***Possible Spoilers*** 375 238 Aug 03, 2012 01:32AM
Ash?? 9 70 Feb 24, 2012 10:06AM
From Sherrilyn's Facebook page... 1 39 Aug 09, 2011 09:31PM
  • Midnight Pleasures (Wild Wulfs of London #0.5; Dream-Hunter #0.5)
  • Immortal Rider  (Lords of Deliverance, #2; Demonica, #7)
  • Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #2)
  • Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark #11)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • Tapestry (de Piaget, #8.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8.5; Were-Hunter, #0.5; Entire Dark-Hunterverse, #1.5; Dark-Hunterverse, #2; Highlander, #8)
  • Blood Hunt (Sentinel Wars, #5)
  • Entwined (Eternal Guardians, #2)
  • Lord of the Wolfyn (Royal House of Shadows, #3)
  • Dark Predator (Dark, #19)
  • A Taste of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9.5)
Official Author site
Official Black Hat Society site
Official Witch of Endor site
Official Lords of Avalon site
Official Facebook site

New York Times and international bestselling author Sherrilyn Kenyon is a regular at the #1 spot. With legions of fans known as Meny
More about Sherrilyn Kenyon

Dark-Hunter (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1)
  • Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2)
  • Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter #3)
  • Kiss of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #4)
  • Night Play (Dark-Hunter #5, Were-Hunter #1)
  • Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, #6)
  • Sins of the Night (Dark-Hunter #7)
  • Unleash the Night (Dark Hunter, #8; Were-Hunter, #2)
  • Dark Side of the Moon (Dark-Hunter #9, Were-Hunter #3)
  • The Dream Hunter (Dark-Hunter #10, Dream-Hunter #1)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Royal Date (The Royals of Monterra, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
“Lydia: Strange how you always remember the pain someone gave you, but seldom the hurt you caused them.” 33 likes
“Safe. No one ever is. No matter how hard we try. No matter how much we plan and prepare. There will always be an enemy at the door and a storm trying to knock us down. Life's not about security. It's about picking up the peices after it's all over and carrying on.” 23 likes