Start by marking “Growing at the Speed of Life: A Year in the Life of My First Kitchen Garden” as Want to Read:
Growing at the Speed of Life: A Year in the Life of My First Kitchen Garden

Growing at the Speed of Life: A Year in the Life of My First Kitchen Garden

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"Kerr's book includes plenty of gardening advice, but the overall message suggests that the benefits of growing things are as much food for the soul as for dinner."
-"Los Angeles Times"

With more than two dozen cookbooks and hundreds of television shows, lectures, and personal appearances devoted to promoting healthful cooking, award-winning chef and former "Galloping Gourm
Published March 1st 2011 by Perigee Books

To ask other readers questions about Growing at the Speed of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing at the Speed of Life

Tamar
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
When I found this book at the library, I had no idea who Graham Kerr was; I checked it out because I am a beginner to gardening and wanted to read about someone else's experience. If you are a fan of Kerr, maybe you'd enjoy this, but if like me you don't know or care, I'll save you the trouble: all you need to start a complete kitchen garden is thousands of dollars (not including the huge plot of land) and a bunch of next-door-neighbor friends who also happen to be master gardeners with a lot of ...more
Susan
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Full disclosure: I've been a fan of Graham Kerr since watching the Galloping Gourmet with my Mom when I was little. His transformation from heart-attack-on-a-plate food to delicious healthier fare following the illness of his wife Treena has been genuine, helpful, and even inspiring. Now, as he adds vegetable gardening to the mix, he attacks it with his usual galloping style and humor. The book is clear, thorough without being overwhelming, and includes lots of his clever illustrations. Very enj ...more
Carol
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good, humourous introduction to vegetable gardening. I've since disocovered that absolutely everything on gardening seems to be on-line, making books like this less necessary. Kerr, however, has a nice comic flair, and it's interesting to see what he's up to these days.
John
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started a larger garden because I read this book. I recall watching him years ago and his approach has softened, but his enthusiasm is still strong (no alcohol, low fat). I'd love to meet him if Kerr ever visited NYC.
John Kinsedahl
Dlmrose
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of information presented with good humor.
Erin
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Great notes about planting a wide variety of veggies and herbs. Well worth reading cover to cover once... I'll be using this as a reference for a long time.
Beth (MrsGinTN)
Very Informative without being overwhelming. I will use it regularly in my garden planning.
Tina
Dawn Richardson
Jul 09, 2015
Lee
Feb 09, 2013
Graham has been a 'food man' since his fifteenth birthday, or sixty-seven years from post World War Two to the present day.
Raised in the European Hotel business and following his national service in the British Army he was the General Manager of the Royal Ascot Hotel at age 27.
He moved to New Zealand as the Chief Catering Advisor to their Air Force and, in 1959/60 began his public life in broadcas
More about Graham Kerr...