Start by marking “Mistletoe And Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)” as Want to Read:
Mistletoe And Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)

Mistletoe And Murder (Daisy Dalrymple #11)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,583 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Family Christmases are to be dreaded - but Daisy Dalrymple's dread is about to become cold, hard fear ...

On the insistence of her formidable mother, Daisy's entire family is to gather at Brockdene in Cornwall, the ancestral estate of Lord Westmoor. And nobody disobeys the dowager, especially not at Christmas.

On arrival, Daisy and husband Alec find they are billeted with Lo
Published 2011 by Robinson (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mistletoe And Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistletoe And Murder

Elaine Tomasso
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want some light escapism this is the book for you. Set in the 20s Daisy, her husband and extended family investigate a murder in deepest Cornwall. Ms Dunn does the period very well and her writing style is light and frothy so this is an ideal way to pass a few hours.
Rbucci
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun Daisy Dalrymple mystery. I love that this was in a different social setting - with poor relations. Also fun that it took me a while to figure out who the murderer was.
Peter
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a grand 1923 murder mystery. The story is set in brockdene mansion Which is in reality, Cotehele mansion in Cornwall. This is well worth a visit as I have done and the main reason that I found the book so enjoyable, maybe it is not a world class novel but nothing beats a good book when you know the place it is set in. Follwing the story from room to room and knowing exactly what is happening is such a thrill.

Well that's me refreshed, time for a cup of tea I do believe.

TOODLEHOO CHUMS.
Grey853
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy, holiday
Some of my favorite things to read in a mystery are solid main characters, a Christmastime setting, a remote mansion cut off by stormy weather, and lots of interesting, quirky secondary characters. This one has all of those and then some. I liked this book so much that apparently I read it twice. I read it when it first came out, but had forgotten the title. Once I started reading, I realized that it was all too familiar, but I still read it again. It's a lovely holiday cozy.
CatBookMom
This is pretty much the least-liked of all the Daisy Dalrymple books I've read. Unlikeable characters, very disorganized, lots of time going here/going there. Despite several tries at getting into the story, I found myself skipping, skimming, and finally I just jumped to the end.
Olga Godim
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This cozy English mystery is a ‘pure’ Daisy Dalrymple, cute and predictable (in a good way), one of the best in the series. The action takes place over Christmas in a crumbling mansion of an earl. He is Daisy’s distant relative and he invited Daisy (or rather her mother needled the invitation out of him) and her family for the holidays, but for Daisy, it is also a working vacation – she has an assignment to write an article about the mansion and its centuries-old history.
In accordance with the
Todayiamadaisy
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is not great literature by any means, but it's a lot of fun. This is a cosy murder mystery set in 1923. Daisy Dalrymple is the daughter of a Viscount, who has shocked her mother by marrying a widowed policeman, becoming step-mother to his young daughter, and working as a journalist. And solving murders, obviously. This Christmas, Daisy is writing a story about a country house owned by her distant cousin, Lord Westmoor. Daisy's mother gets him to invite the whole family down for Christmas, w ...more
Ana T.
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Mistletoe and Murder is the december book for the discussion at my CozyMystery group. It was my first book by this author and I had no idea what to expect. I'm new to the cozy mystery subgenre and have only tried 2 or 3 authors yet.

In December 1923, Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher yields to the demands of her mother and the needs of her writing career and brings her family to an old Cornish estate for Christmas. The estate, occupied by the poor relations of the ancestral lord, has a rich history of lor
Gerry
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Another Daisy Dalrymple (or should I use her married surname, Fletcher?) period piece set at Christmas 1923.

Daisy and her whole family find themselves at Lord Westmoor's place in Brockdene, Cornwall. Westbrook is not present, preferring to be elsewhere for the Christmas break, and his relations, the Norvilles, host the festivities. Or at least they were planned festivities ... before disaster strikes.

There are Norvilles everywhere, brothers, cousins, children so it is sometimes difficult picking
Laura Edwards
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was a little better than the last couple of entries in the series. If there was a 3.5 rating, I'd probably bump it up. The story took a little time to get rolling, otherwise a fun read. I liked that Belinda and Derek helped out. And I was also glad Alec played a bigger part than in the last book. One of the best things. The way Daisy has accepted Belinda as her daughter and thinks of Belinda as her child. I really enjoy their growing relationship.
Kim
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
This has been my favourite of the series so far. Absolutely loved it. Might be because I know the area this story was located in which helped with the geographical references but felt this story was just perfect, lots of suspense, red herrings and interesting revelation at the end.
Kaitlyn Dunnett
A bit slower than some in this series, but it picked up after the murder. I had entirely the wrong person picked as the killer!! I particularly enjoyed the role Daisy's stepdaughter and nephew played in advancing the plot (and the subplot).
Shea Fox
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series has been delightful, and I'm only about half way finished!
Lori McD
While I truly enjoyed the first book of this series, I'd say that this book, "Mistletoe and Murder" is perhaps my favorite so far, because the mystery didn't feel "usual".

The last few Daisy mysteries seemed silly, outrageous, or downright unbelievable. But this book was quite good. Maybe it's because I really didn't know Whodunnit until the end of the book! That's unusual for me, since I was practically weaned on mysteries and am usually more than 2 steps ahead in any mystery book, movie, or pla
An Odd1
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
http://www.belgravehouse.com/online/a... Short Stories
http://www.belgravehouse.com/online/e... Storm in a Tea Shoppe
http://www.belgravehouse.com/online/e... Unhappy Medium
http://www.belgravehouse.com/online/e... Miss Primrose and the March of Progress

Mistletoe and Murder
Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher and husband spend 1923 Christmas at Cornwall with distant relatives the Norvilles. Captain Victor Norville brings missionary Mr Calloway from India. The rude cleric disapproves of the celebration and t
Bodwisebooks
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Another Daisy Dalrymple book finished. I'm not sure about this one, it was good like the others, but the ending seemed such a let down. When will Carola Dunn give us something unexpected with these tales? Never mind I only have one other to read and that's the 20 book collection completed and all read. I'm glad to say that now I've finished with them they will be going from my shelves, either sold or given away for someone else to enjoy!
Shannon
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
I thought this was a solid mystery. A bit of the captive house party with some good twists. I enjoyed listening to this one more than many of this series. I'm not a huge fan, but these are good, basic cosy mysteries that are decent to listen to as audiobooks and this one was entertaining while I did chores, so that works for me!
Ruth
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
If you want a light-hearted romp through a historical cozy mystery, you couldn't find a better companion than Daisy. In this particular adventure it's a less than festive Christmas with all the murderous trimmings a country "castle" can afford.
Veronica
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I like the time period of this novel, there were just too many endearments. And the protagonists are just too darned happy and loving. The characters are somewhat flat and the plot itself is interesting but weakened a bit by the social graces that needed to be followed in this era.
Jill Shapcott
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Daisy Dalrymple and her husband Alex at their best. A country house, a murder and it's Christmas, could it be be better. Well actually yes, the house, Brockdene, is based loosely in Cothele, a big house everywhere I live and scenes in the book were very familiar!
Josephine
Listening to this series is more fun, I doubt I would read it.
Victoria
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was some solid creep characters.
Traci Shipley
I'm really enjoying this series.
Marina Sinelnikova
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I actually liked Lady Dalrymple here. And the captain and his attitude to his mama - that was touching. I worry about the girl though.
George
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#11 in the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple (and her husband Scotland Yard Detective Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher), magazine writer and heiress (no inheritance due to British entailed system) mystery series. It is just before Christmas,1923, and Daisy’s immediate family and Alex’s family will be spending Christmas at Brockdene, a Cormall manor and estate, belonging to a distant relative of Daisy. Daisy arrives early to do her research for a magazine article on the manor house. There are complicated fa ...more
Bryn
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the last two books in the series which were very disappointing, I almost gave up on Daisy Dalrymple. I am glad I gave her one more shot, though, because this one was a lot of fun and not at all tedious or boring like the previous ones.

A few reviewers said the family relationships were a bit confusing and a family tree would have helped. I often make one for myself when reading books like this, but actually didn't have to this time around.

I also liked how Alec seemed less irritated by Daisy
FangirlNation
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mistletoe and Murder, the eleventh book in the Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn, sees Daisy visiting Brockdene Castle for an article and spending Christmas there, along with her husband, Chief Detective Inspector Alec Fletcher; step-daughter, Belinda; mother, the Dowager Viscountess Dalrymple; and nephew, Derek. Upon arriving at Brockdene, Daisy is curious to find the castle without even gas lighting or fires, let alone electricity or telephones, and occupied by a poor branch of the seventh ...more
Lynne chazer
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A joy to read
Larraine
I was in the mood for a Christmas-themed mystery. (The mood continues!) However, this was especially enjoyable since I am a fan of Carola Dunn's Daisy Dalrymple, now Fletcher, who has been earning her own way as a writer for an upscale magazine. Although she is titled, she is not wealthy. In this book, she is now married to DI Alec Fletcher who was a widower when they met and is stepmother to his daughter. The say they get to the setting is a bit tortured. Daisy's mother is invited to stay at th ...more
Julie
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daisy and Alec are back from America in time for Christmas, and both are back to work. Using her connections to a distant relative, Daisy has managed to get an invitation to Brockdene, grand country home, to write an article for her magazine. Unfortunately, her mother piggy-backs on the invitation and gets Lord Westmoor to invite her and her family to the house to celebrate Christmas. What the Dowager Viscountess does not realize is that Lord Westmoor and the cream of the family no longer spend ...more
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)
  • Slay Bells (Pennyfoot Hotel #14)
  • Statue of Limitations (Den of Antiquity, #11)
  • The Castlemaine Murders (Phryne Fisher, #13)
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • Gently Down the Stream
  • The Santa Klaus Murder
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more
More about Carola Dunn...

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
“still in use though coeval with the old house. Then” 0 likes