Start by marking “Fuddles” as Want to Read:
Fuddles

Fuddles

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  381 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Fuddles is a fat, lazy housecat who's never been in the Great Outdoors. One day, his humans leave the door open a crack and Fuddles seizes the chance to slip out, but things aren't quite as he expected. In a series of hilarious mishaps, including a run-in with the neighborhood dog, he realizes that life as he'd known it was actually pretty good. Told with deadpan humor and ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fuddles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fuddles

Chris
Disclaimer: I picked this up when it was free.

This is a very funny book about a well drawn cat.
Sharon Huether
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cat-story
A beautifully Illustrated book of Fuddles a Sylvester cat that wanted more adventure then he had inside his home. He tried a little exercising to get ready for the big adventure. One day he slipped outside when no one was looking. The world was scary, he couldn't even catch a bird,he was too heavy to jump. He was glad when his family came looking for him and found him.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Oh my God this was SO cute!! Fuddles reminds me of a fat Sylvester. This pampered feline decides one day that his life needs adventure. But his people don't allow him outside. What to do? He starts an exercise regimen with his toys and scratching post, and manages to slip outside with the kids one day. And he has adventures, but they're not what he'd imagined they'd be. My favorite picture is Fuddles flying up in the air when the neighbor's dog startles him out of his nap. I laughed aloud at tha ...more
Kristina Stefanova
Very nice illustrations, I loved them. I would say that this is a very inspirational children's book.
Kid Lit Reviews
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2016-reviews
Anyone who knows Fuddles the Cat knows she enjoys bubble baths, fancy pillows, gourmet food, and a carefree life with devoted humans ready to please and fulfill her every wish. Fuddles has come to not only enjoy, but to expect pampering. How is it that Fuddles could have a nightmare living in such fine conditions? It’s an omen, but Fuddles only cares about her stomach. It’s time to eat. But wait. What is this by her bowl? Is this . . . a puddle . . . a puddle of . . . DOG!

Fuddles and Puddles is
Peacegal
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
Delightful illustrations and a cute story, along with a gentle message about the many hazards that cats face when left to roam outdoors -- and why they're much happier being pampered in the home.
Sarah Sammis
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a re-reader, I guess. I liked it more than my daughter did.

Michelle
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute art
Edward Sullivan
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Spolied, fat feline realizes after an outdoor adventure that indoor life is far more preferable. Fun, appealing story with charming illustrations.
Kelly
Fuddles is a spoiled, pampered house cat who decides he needs to escape the house and have an adventure. But the adventure doesn't quite go as planned.
Lara
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was actually the third of the Fuddles books I read, and I already loved this cat. I will admit, I love him partially because Fuddles reminds me so much of my own cat (also fat and spoiled). I thought he resembled my cat before, but with this story about Fuddles' deep down soul of an adventurer, Vischer could be writing about my cat specifically (the little escape artist...).

So, knowing that I'm biased, Fuddles is still adorable. Very spoiled and pampered (or as a cat would say, only what he
Donna Mork
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable story about a fat, pampered cat who wants adventure. He finally gets out and realizes how good he had it at home. He is lost and scared. He looks everywhere for his family, until they come and find him. He is so happy.
Erin
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This is a really amusing story. It's funny and cute, but the overall message of the story is to stick to what you're familiar with and that it's better to be pampered than to be self sufficient.
NebraskaIcebergs
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You know a book is good when you have to share it. Fuddles by Fran Vischer is a fun picture book about a fat and pampered cat who decided his life needed adventure. As soon as I finished reading Fuddles, I turned to my husband and immediately read it aloud to him. We were outside in our yard eating lunch when I read it, but I didn’t care who heard me. Fuddles is that good. For one thing, it’s about a spoiled cat; my husband and I have one of those. For another thing, I love the playful style:

But
Lesley Dahlseng
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Here is a book for all the cat-lovers out there! Fuddles is a fat and pampered cat who lives the good life indoors. He seemed completely satisfied, until one day he gets it in his mind that a grand adventure awaits him beyond the front door and into the "wild." The comforts of home are no longer as appealing as the excitements of the unknown. He attempts to prepare for his outdoor exploit as best he can, but when his chance for escape finally comes, his main discovery is just how unprepared he s ...more
Joshua Arvey
Title: Fuddles
Author/Illustrator: Frans Vischer
Genre: Fantasy
Themes: Fantasy, Picture Book, Wanda Gag Read Aloud

Plot Summery: Fuddles is about a fat and pampered cat named Fuddles. He realized that each day was the same as the previous, and he needed an adventure. There was one problem his owner would not let him out of the house. Even with this obstacle he prepared for his adventure. When the kids were playing outside, he took off and ran right out the door. Once he got out he realized it was n
Candice
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I recently read Nini Lost and Foundand it was natural to contrast the two books. Both are about a cat who leaves his/her comfortable indoor home and ventures into the great outdoors. The tone and illustrations in Fuddles are much more humorous. Fuddles is a fat, pampered cat, as anyone can see from the book's cover. He decides that he wants an adventure and heads for the door, but Mom says, "No." Fuddles is amazed. He had never been told No before. And thoughts of the forbidden take hold. He mus ...more
Debbie
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’m always a bit impressed with children’s books that are written and illustrated by the same person. Frans Vischer works as an animator at Disney and Fuddles, intended for children ages four to seven, is his first picture book. He has modeled Fuddles after his own pet.

Fuddles is a spoiled house cat who dreams of being a great adventurer and so sneaks out of the house one Sunday afternoon. He soon finds that the great outdoors isn’t at all as he imagined it would be and as darkness settles, he f
Diane
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-favorite-read
Fuddles is a fat and pampered indoor cat who one day realizes that his should have more excitement than just, eating sleeping and using his litter box. He wants to go outdoors. Human mom says "no", and he can't understand why -- no one has ever said "no" to Fuddles. Determined to go out, he brushes up on his jumping, hunting, and claw sharpening skills --indoors, and one day sneaks out of the house. He quickly learns that he is too fat to hunt, the bird bath is filthy (and now so is he). He also ...more
Treasure
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
A first picture book by a Disney animator, this book follows Fuddles, a spoiled, fat housecat who dreams of adventure. Fuddles is shocked when Mom tells him he cannot go outside, as this is the first time a person has ever told him no! Once he sneaks outside, the cat quickly discovers that he is not as brave, athletic, and smart as he thought he was. His dreams of big time adventures are quickly smashed as small, every day neighborhood cat adventures prove to be too much for him. By the time he ...more
Drew Graham
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Fuddles is a pampered house cat, but he has big ideas about making it in the big, wide world. But will his ambitions turn out to be nothing more than delusions of grandeur? And will he realize where the heart really is?

I was interested to discover that this was written and illustrated by a Disney animator, which perhaps explains why the art is pretty good but the story is okay. It wasn't that original, and it felt like it was trying really hard to be something from the library of the masterful M
Gwnhwyfer
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fuddles is a pampered feline, who dreams of living a life of adventure. Unfortunately, he gets his chance...and it's not quite what he expected!

I wasn't disappointed! I found this book online and fell in love with the cover...but for a long time I was unable to find a copy of it. But then I noticed recently on a general search that my library has a copy - and I immediately put it on hold.

The illustrations have a lot of movement and the text was good. If you want to get into the mind of a cat, h
Tam
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Melanie
Fuddles the cat is extremely spoiled and very fat. He decides he needs an exercise regime that requires him to go outside. All of a sudden he is told "NO!" He's never been told no before. So one afternoon, when the kids go outside to play, Fuddles makes a break for it. He dashes outside and becomes the adventurous cat he always envisioned himself to be. Truth was, though, he wasn't as up for adventure as he thought he was. He couldn't climb the tree, he couldn't catch a bird and he fell into a d ...more
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
So cute! The illustrations remind me of Disney's The Aristocats as well as of Pepe Le Pew and his beloved cat. The story and illustrations are charming. For readers who adore cats and classic stories with a happy ending, this is for you.
UPDATE: Just read more about the author and discovered that he is indeed an animator at Disney!!! How funny is that- the very thing I thought when I saw the book was 'looks like classic Disney animation'.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Fuddles is a pampered housecat who yearns for adventure. He dreams about all the daring things he could do outside but realizes that his life as an inside cat has made him soft. He designs a strict (not really) regimen for training for adventure. One day, he makes his break and enters the world of the great outdoors. Fuddles realizes that life outside is dangerous, and eventually, his family finds him and returns him to his life of luxuries.
Arthur Pengerbil
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading Level: Ages 3 - 7

Fuddles is a fat, pampered indoor cat who dreams of going outside and having grand adventures. One day, when the door is left open, he makes his getaway, but he soon discovers that being an outdoor cat is a lot more work than he expected.

If you like this book you may want to check out The Great Gracie Chase: Stop That Dog! too.

For more book reviews from the HPPL Youth Department, click here.
Joy
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, childrens
Fuddles is a spoiled, fat cat who decides to experience an adventure in the mysterious world outside of his cozy home. Of course, he is completely unprepared for the outdoors and finds more than enough adventure. Poor Fuddles gets lost but is happily reunited with his loving family by bedtime. I have a pampered, fat cat too and I think this book would appeal to cat lovers young and old. The illustrations are great and fit the story perfectly.
Kelsey
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten
Animal: Cat

A typical story about a house cat that leave his home to look for adventure and the unknown. What he doesn't anticipate are his recently eaten pork chops weighing him down. This book has a great story with a clear beginning, middle, and end with just a touch of suspense. It gets an extra star for the clear, emotion-filled illustrations (reminded me of Marla Frazee) that match up perfectly with the story.
Heather
  • Timothy and the Strong Pajamas
  • I Am the Dog
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • A Friend for Einstein, the Smallest Stallion
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Mitchell's License
  • Miss Hazeltine's Home for Shy and Fearful Cats
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
I am an animator at the Walt Disney studio, and the author/illustrator of Fuddles and Jimmy Dabble.
Please see my Fuddles book trailer at