Start by marking “So You're Going to Wear the Kilt!” as Want to Read:
So You're Going to Wear the Kilt!

So You're Going to Wear the Kilt!

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  6 reviews
All you want to know about tartan dress!

"A readable and handy book on Scottish attire not only for those starting to wear Scottish dress, but also for those who may have been wearing the kilt for some time." (from the Foreword by Andrew MacThomas of Finegard)
Published March 1st 1989 by Lang Syne Publishers (first published June 10th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about So You're Going to Wear the Kilt!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You're Going to Wear the Kilt!

Phillip
This book is a very useful guide to contemporary trends in Scottish menswear, covering a variety of concerns about kilts, kilt jackets, sporrans, hose and shoes, shirts, and so on. Thompson is pretty thorough, though much of his information seems to be based on the opinions of people he knows and general claims from kilt wearers. Perhaps this is the standard approach to evidence in much cultural history/clothing description, but as an academic I find it a bit lacking in ethos. It's not that I do ...more
Caitlin
This book is a rather interesting guide to the "proper" manner of wearing the Scottish dress - it's actually quite an amusing little book.

Thompson isn't actually Scottish, which is kind of fitting given that I'm guessing neither are the majority of his audience. I'm not trying to be condescending, but this really is meant for those of us in the Scottish diaspora where few Highland Balls or Ceilidhs are complete without some disagreements on which side the clan brooch is worn or which side a lady
Louise
J. Charles Thompson defines the elements of Scottish attire and custom. This work encompasses not just the elements of the kilt, but supporting headwear, ribbons and cockades, footwear, weapons, jackets, jewelry, belts, medals, sporrans and more. Each of these elements has formal and everyday wear customs.

There is a helpful chapter on how to address a chief, a chieftain and their ladies. There are instructions for converting certain styles of "Saxon" (non Scottish) jackets to Scottish attire, cr
Mark Henderson
I purchased this book around 1987, or so, to learn the proper way to wear my kilt. Mr. Thompson's little guide was just what I needed. He explained in easy to understand terms exactly how to wear the kilt, and when to wear certain accessories. He also had a section on how to make your own highland stuff from scratch or how to modify clothing to look Scottish. Some folks have downplayed this book, but it still stands as a classic in my opinion.
Christopher Tang
An excellent book about wearing a kilt and the associated accessories. Do not expect an in depth discussion of tartan itself (though there is some). This is really about how to wear the kilt itself as well as associated accessories depending on the level of formality.
Theo Logos
"Do you wear anything under there?" - the question all kilt wearers hear incessantly is answered perfectly in this volume - "Nothing worn, everything's in fine working order, thanks!"
Todd
Todd added it
Aug 07, 2014
Caleb
Caleb marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Jr
Jr marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Scott Erskine
Scott Erskine marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Jason Moss
Jason Moss is currently reading it
May 31, 2013
H.P
H.P marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013