Start by marking “Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest Another ""Novel"" by Chris Elliott” as Want to Read:
Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest Another ""Novel"" by Chris Elliott

Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest Another ""Novel"" by Chris Elliott

3.06  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Now in paperback: For decades the world has credited renowned explorer Sir Edmund Hillary with being the first person to reach the peak of Mount Everest. But was he? Evidence to the contrary arrives one day on the doorstep of Chris Elliott--an anonymous package that contains the diary of his Great Uncle Percy Brackett Elliott, an adventurer (and raving loony) who mysteriou ...more
Published October 24th 2007 by Weinstein Books

To ask other readers questions about Into Hot Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into Hot Air

Melki
"I never realized just how dangerous climbing Mount Everest is. I mean, if I'd known it was gonna be this hard, I would have just written a book about climbing it without ever really doing it - just like my editor suggested."

Oh, Chris.,.,

I hate to do this to you, buddy, since we both share a childhood obsession with The Poseidon Adventure, but...well, there's no easy way to say this.

Your book pretty well sucked.

It was a GREAT premise - a team of celebrities mounting Everest, AND the image of sh
Rob
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is laugh-out-loud funny. Chris Elliott is really funny, and you'll often find yourself thinking "who really thinks up this stuff?" In the end, it's one of those books that will leave you feeling, "Why did I read that? I feel dumber just because I read that." That's why you should really read it.
Aaron Kuehn
Sep 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you know anything about Chris Elliott the actor or his family, you can probably guess this is pure pablum. It fills the same niche that movies such as Airplane! do: stupid, inane entertainment. In this, his second novel, Elliott writes about his fictional attempt to climb the great mountain. He’s a real and true idiot and bits and pieces of other well-known true-life stories weave their way in and out of the tale. If you’re expecting serious mental stimulation, this ain’t it, folks. Very much ...more
Michael Martin
"Into Hot Air" by Chris Elliott has an interesting premise that runs out of steam halfway through the book. Elliott, who you may be familiar with through his cult series Get A Life and appearances on David Letterman, takes on the man vs. nature survival books by authors such as John Krakauer and adds to the mix the ridiculous celebrity worship that our culture has embraced. So you have this tale of a mountaineering expedition that is made up of Elliott's character, Kirsten Dunst, Lauren Bacall, ...more
Kevin
May 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chris Elliott does not write graceful, stylish, or interesting prose. It's competent at best. In that sense, reading this book was a bit of a slog.
However, I’m certain that given a healthy filming budget and a director with the bravery/lack of common sense/massive cojones necessary to follow every whim in Elliott’s head, this story would make a genius movie; another deliriously irreverent masterpiece of half-wit psychedelia like Cabin Boy.
I’m hoping that a Hollywood producer will read this someh
Matt Willem
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge Elliot fan; your mileage may vary. Adventure parody. Elliot writes his idiot stage persona character in as the protagonist in a supernatural mountain climb epic. I read back to back with the similar _The Stench of Honolulu_, so it was hard not to compare. Jack Handey's concision exposes a lot of fluff in the Elliot take, but there's also more substance as well. A constellation of laugh-out-loud high points interspersed with hit-or-miss gag-a-minute patter.
Patrick
Jan 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Another fake autobiographical tale from Chris Elliott, this time he gathers a group of celebrities together to climb Mount Everest, unbeknownst that a secret society, the Yeti, and the CIA are out to get them. Ok, but not as good as his previous book, "The Shroud of the Thwacker."
Sheri
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Chris Elliot much more in "There's Something about Mary". His wacky humor doesn't translate well to the written page, at least not for me. I got a few giggles out of the book, but for the most part it felt like it was written by a 13-year-old boy, just off-wht-wall.
Alan Perry

Sometimes the book seems like just a random collection of silly things happening in a silly environment. Sometimes it seems like there is some real insight being expressed and I am just not getting it.

Stephen
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It seemed like he had no plan before writing this book. I wouldnt be surprised if he just sat down and wrote randomly this "novel". but if you happen to like chris elliot as i do then you will enjoy reading this nonsence
Michael
While occasionally funny, I think that it was too silly for me to get into. It wasn't as artfully brought into the story as in a Christopher Moore back. There were also too many background groups to keep track of. And, I didn't really care about the characters.
Matt
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
While this may be the least important book ever written, I enjoyed it in small pieces. As with most humor novels, however, it really needed to be shorter than 200 pages. I definitely reached a point where I just wanted the book to end so I could move on to something less silly.
Shannon
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wont-finish
While quirky with some funny parts, this man's diatribe was more like a stream of consciousness from Robin Williams' former days. Simma down, son, and form coherent thoughts. Maybe then I'll get past the first 25 pages.
Brian Sendelbach
Got about a third of the way in, but couldn't finish. Loved THE GUY UNDER THE SHEETS though.
Erik
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chris Elliott is a funny guy, and this book reads like his comedy. It's one one-liner after another. Unfortunately, after a while, I wanted more of an interesting story than the book offered.
Kathy
Oct 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kathy-s-shelf
Just not my style of book - seemed kind of stupid to me. It would probably be all right to someone else, but the humor was not my style.
Jim Trela
Typical Chris Elliot stupid humor.
Stephan
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently Chris Elliott is a big fan of Mother 13.
Mark
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Remarkably stupid....but I did laugh once or twice.
Tom Hamilton
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a funny bastard. I like everything this guy does.
Mike
Nov 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as "The Shroud of the Thwacker", but still enjoyable and funny.
Larry Kucharik
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Elliot has written another great book of hilarious nonsense....For those who just want to get away from "it" all.
Nov 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, everest
This was a really terrible stupid hard to follow book. It was painful to get through. However, if you know me, you'll know that this was a necessary part of my collection... oh well.
Caroline
May 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not totally horrible.
Micah
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goofy fun. Just what you'd expect from Chris Elliott.
Sean
Apr 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. Its like an 8th grader wrote it, and thats disparaging to 8th graders. I cringed reading it, simply not funny.
Brooke Brown
Not nearly as funny as his first book, "The Shroud of the Thwacker," but still a ridiculously goofy escape from reality.
Jason
Apr 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope. Too strange.
Michael Morley
Jul 19, 2013
Wendy Davis
rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Arrangement
  • Freshman
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • The Chamber of Five
  • The Craigslist Murders
  • Normal Girl
  • A Practical Handbook for the Boyfriend: For Every Guy Who Wants to be One/For Every Girl Who Wants to Build One
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab
  • Red Station (Harry Tate, #1)
  • Baja Oklahoma
  • The Purloined Paperweight
  • The Family Fortune
  • Agent Out (Fearless FBI, #3)
  • My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays That Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face
  • Babylonne (Pagan Chronicles #5)
  • The Phantom Blooper