Start by marking “Dark Vengeance, Vol.1” as Want to Read:
Dark Vengeance, Vol.1

Dark Vengeance, Vol.1 (Witch Season #1-2)

When a gorgeous stranger seeks refuge at Kerry’s summer-share house, she knows her life is about to change. Daniel Blessing is mysterious and charismatic—and on the run from a powerful witch named Season. Kerry and her friends don’t believe in witches and spells, but Kerry can’t help believing Daniel…and falling for him.

But falling for Daniel pulls her into a feud his fam
Published October 4th 2011 by Simon Pulse (first published July 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Vengeance, Vol.1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Vengeance, Vol.1

Amber Calkins
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Okay, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

What kind of ending was that? What kind of book was that? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS AUTHOR? JEFF MARIOTTE, I AM TALKING TO YOU!

So, the story's about this girl called Kerry Profitt. She's in a summer- share house with 5 others just typically getting through her summer job. Suddenly, she stumbles across a handsome and mysterious stranger, that's practically bleeding out on her doorstep. Her reaction? Well take him in and cure him! GOD FORBID HE'D BE TAKEN TO A
Gigi S.
What a strange book...At first I was merely reading it to read something suitably trashy, but the more I read the more I felt the story had something to offer. There were some standard cliches but at the same time there was a lot of new things that I hadn't encountered before. I'll make two lists:

Things I Enjoyed:

1: Daniel
Daniel wasn't the standard love interest. Sure, he was tall, dark, mysterious and handsome but he was older, wiser, more interesting then most paranormal-romance love interests
Sage
I finished Witch Seasons Summer.
And it was okay. Not the worst book I've read but also not the worst.
Daniel Blessing is hunting this witch who's dystoyed small cities after small cities. One day Kerry finds him and she and her friends get involved with this whole witch hunt.

The end of Witch Seasons Summer sucked. It really didnt make any sense after the battle between Daniel and gang and the all powerful witch, Season.

The begining of Witch Season fall is pretty understandable but also very. . .
Phoebe
I started reading this book but couldn't even get half way through Summer. In my opinion, it was poorly written and it couldn't keep my attention. I eventually gave up and put it back on the bookshelf and started a new book. I usually would care what happens in a book, but I couldn't make a connection with any of the characters, especially the first guy who got killed (I can't remember his name)

This is the type of book that I would maybe read if I ran out of books to read and couldn't get to Bor
Danielle
Well I have to say this story definitely started fast, but I'm so disappointed. the first half totally killed my hope for Kerry. and by the second half I'm just left feeling so bad for the girl. However the book is wonderful. I'm usually not a fan of witches and magic but Mariotte has swayed me. it's a good fast paced book. and I cannot wait for the next.
Arlbee
Dec 15, 2011 Arlbee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even though each chapter is suppose to be written like a journal entry (or something, it's been awhile since I've read it), this book was poorly written. I could barely get past the first couple of chapters before I put it down and never picked it back up. This book taught me to read the first few pages of a book before buying it. Never again will I make that mistake.
Kendra
Apr 25, 2015 Kendra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
so dull! no action at all!
Your Common House Bat
Jun 15, 2015 Your Common House Bat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Is no one a sufficient answer?
Recommended to Your Common House Bat by: No one (Gee, I wonder why)
Alright then, so I found this book in the basement next to the second two-parter in its series. Think it was my sister's. I thought the cover looked nifty so I gave it a go; two lessons learned 1. karma is a bitch (this is what I get for borrowing the book without my sister's permission) and 2. seriously, do not judge a book by its cover. Seeing as this book was titled 'Summer & Fall' I thought it'd be the perfect summer read. I was bitterly disappointed; I hardly ever rate a book two stars, ...more
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
combined reviews from the separate books:

SUMMER
4 stars

so far i am loving this book! i love the author's writing style, especially his parenthetical clauses!

i find myself looking forward to Kerry's journal entries throughout the book. they're written exactly like one, well, I, would write in their journal.

there are a handful of awkward phrases, where it appears that a word was left out, and the whole I vs. me issue (see previous reviews), but the author's style and story more than make up for it!
Morgan
Apr 05, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark Vengeance is about magical guy named Daniel that is very old, that is trying to kill this evil witch that killed his twin brother 200 years ago. Daniel is in the present day trying to kill the evil witch and passes out in front of Kerry and her 4 roommates house. Kerry and Daniel fall in love while trying to kill this witch. In the end he dies and Kerry goes after the witch by herself with the help of Daniel's mother, Mother Blessing is her name.
I think this was a very good book it was ver
Paige
Jun 16, 2010 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! But I hatehatehate how Daniel dies. He's the best character. Now I'm waiting for my copy of Witch Season 2 (Out of Print) to come in the mail. I have this stupid belief that Daniel will come back. I hate how Josh dies, too. Kerry sometimes gets on my nerves, though. She's too serious like soooo many heroines. So, Kerry and her 5 friends find a mysterious stranger on their doorstep. He's a witch (Why didn't the author use the word warlock?!) named Daniel Blessing. He's hunting f ...more
Alex Bennett
Mar 06, 2010 Alex Bennett rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
SUMMER-

It was bad.

FALL-

Fall definitely surpassed its proceeder, Summer by far! I loved the direction the story took and the development of the plot. I didn't really enjoy the first book, but this one was much, much better.

I was so happy that more magic was brought into the story because the first book barely had any. And I was so surprised that Kerry was the one practicing it. I was sad that the other characters from Summer, weren't in the book as much, but they were involved as much as they cou
Adela
Oct 15, 2010 Adela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Juliet24
Cecilia
I WANT SOME ACTION UGH this book is getting dull and I just really hoped it improved throughout Fall and it didn't ugh. I'll probably give it another try next month or next year. I don't know. Daniel was interesting and Kerry not so much and it was lacking in detailed emotion and it frustrated me how I got characters confused (the gang [idk??] from La Jolla) and I'm not a fan of Jeff's writing style. AND THEN THE ENDING WAS WEIRD I HAVE NO IDEA WHO IS EVIL AND WHO'S NOT I'LL PROBABLY JUST READ W ...more
Chrislives4books
Nov 11, 2011 Chrislives4books rated it really liked it
Shelves: magiks, kiling-buster
These two books were awesome the whole story of how (view spoiler) And in the second book how there's all these secrets and you don't know what might happen next. ..... Awes ...more
Aug 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series left me wishing for more. I would reccomend them to anyone, young or old. Also, when I was reading these books (in highschool), I did a project on Jeff Mariotte and this series of books. I e-mailed Jeff with some questions and he actually e-mailed me back! I was very impressed with him and the way he answered the silly questions of a 14 year old.
Katie Bodden
Jun 03, 2015 Katie Bodden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
These books are quick reads (which is I read them at work on lunch) and interesting characters. alot more death in the second book, but I guess it is to be expected. they don't into much detail about the characters but mostly because they aren't large books. they give you enough to understand how they could be drawn together and to this 'mission'.
Renee Barrette
I enjoyed Book One more than Book Two. I'm a huge fan of everything witchy, but to be honest, as soon as Kerry arrived at Mother Blessing's... I got BORED!!! I had to force myself to finish the book. I'm definitely going to finish reading the series, but I'm not excited about it, unfortunately :(
Nicole Smith
One of my friends gave me this book when she moved, and I decided that mid-October was the perfect time to read it.

This was a very fast read, but the writing and editing wasn't the best. I would finish the series just to see what happens, but only if I can find it at the library, which so far isn't looking promising.
McKenna
Aug 18, 2011 McKenna rated it really liked it
Shawna
i am currently reading this book and i think its great so far! AMAZING! its when there was this dead guy on this chicks lawn and he said that a wicked witch named season did that and that he put her and her friends in danger! pretty awesome
Nicole
Aug 15, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty good book. Likeable characters, and you felt bad when one of them died. It also did a good job of slowly revealing that the plot isn't as cut and dried as you'd originally believe. I can't wait to read the next two.
Chelsea Northrop
Goddess
Oct 01, 2008 Goddess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sabrinnaa Axp
It's a relatively nice book to read but the author killed one of the main character it in making it dull and boring even before the first half of the book. The second half is just terrible and a really torture reading. Daniel shouldn't have died so early.
Veronica
Jun 25, 2012 Veronica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought both books but couldn't read the second because it was soo predictable nd boring. There was no substance and the romance was horrible cuz there was barely any except for half of the book. I would not recommend this book
Ann Bailey
I guess this genre is just not my cup of tea, but seriously I dreaded reading these books. Summer was alright, due to the many twists and the balance of fantasy, romance, violence, and normal life. Fall was just dreadful altogether. Would not recommend unless you are really into fantasy books.
Riley
One of my absolute favorites! Probably my first paranormal romance and if you ask me, witches are better than vamps or werewolves!
  • Fall  (Witch Season, #2)
  • Wicked: Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2)
  • Until the End (Final Friends, #1-3)
  • Daughters of the Moon, Volume 1 (Daughters of the Moon, #1-3)
  • The Birth of Jaiden
  • The Fire of Friendship (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #4)
  • The Well
  • Balefire (Balefire, #1-4)
  • Wildcat Fireflies (Fenestra, #2)
  • Hold On Tight (Insiders, #5)
  • Haunted (Dreaming Anastasia, #2)
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • Ghost Moon (Moon #7)
  • Illusions And Lies (W.I.T.C.H., #6)
  • Unforsaken (Banished, #2)
  • Witch Hunt
  • Fangs for Freaks (Half-Blood Vampires, #2)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
Award-winning author Jeffrey J. Mariotte has published more than 30 novels, including horror epic The Slab, award nominated teen horror quartet Witch Season, and the recent supernatural thrillers River Runs Red and Missing White Girl, in addition to tie-in novels and many, many comic books. He is also co-owner of specialty bookstore Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego. He lives in southeastern Arizona. ...more
More about Jeff Mariotte...

Witch Season (4 books)
  • Summer (Witch Season, #1)
  • Fall  (Witch Season, #2)
  • Winter  (Witch Season, #3)
  • Spring  (Witch Season, #4)