Start by marking “First Kill (The Slayer Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Kill (The Slayer Chronicles, #1)

First Kill

(The Slayer Chronicles #1)

The first book in the fantastic new series from the creator of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod--now in paperback!

Over a million readers have heard Vlad Tod's story; now it's time to hear Joss's. When Joss McMillan witnesses his sister's murder--at the hands of a vampire--his whole life changes. He learns that not only is his family part of the Slayer Society, a group whose
Published September 20th 2011 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about First Kill, please sign up.
Kaysee I would say it is interesting to see where Joss comes from, but I had to read it a second time a few years later since my first attempt was right…moreI would say it is interesting to see where Joss comes from, but I had to read it a second time a few years later since my first attempt was right after I finished the last Vlad Todd book and it did me no good. I think reading this knowing it is it's own series about Slayers even if it exists in the same universe makes it a bit more enjoyable. Though their are mentions to Vlad near the end. (less)

Dan
Aug 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
I don’t usually read young-adult novels. Not that I have anything against them… I suppose I’m not usually drawn to them I guess. From Heather Brewer; New York Times best-selling author of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod comes The Slayer Chronicles: First Kill. This book made me open my wallet at the bookstore and purchase it is because it’s about vampire hunters…and those are my favorite kind of vampire stories.

A vampire kills Joss McMillan’s six-year-old sister. At the funeral, his uncle, Abrah
Bookworm007
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
....this book is very young, and sadly very (in my opinion of course) very poorly written.

Now, I know that's a subjective statement and I'm sure many will like this book. It's all a matter of taste but I was really....REALLY glad to put it aside.

First the dialogue. I write and one of the things I'm never satisfied with in my own manuscripts is the dialogue. Here the conversations always (for me of course) came across as stilted and stiff.

Aside from that there is very little plot at all other th
Reanne
Oct 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Lisa Mandina
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I have to say that I loved the Vladimir Tod series by Heather Brewerand really enjoyed it! Loved the vampire theme from a different point of view. Loved this world that she created. So I entered into the Slayer Chronicles not quite sure how I'd like it, because I kind of liked the vampires better this time, unlike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where you do root mostly for the slayer. And, I didn't really like Joss that much, which this book was about, because of how he tried to slay Vlad in ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy

Aside from that there is very little plot at all other th
TL
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to TL by: Found on sale at Ollie's
Interesting idea of a novel, but with many ups and downs, for me at least. Joss I did love in the first half and a few of the Slayers but it started grating on me a bit around halfway through (though not enough to DNF it).

I get that Joss wants to avenger his sister's death (Little Cecile warmed my heart, even though we don't get much time with her) but his constant 'devotion' to this society got on my nerves and I wanted to shake him a couple times.

This 'Society' as a whole didn't seem worthy of
Chels Reynoso
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
First kill by Heather Brewer is the gruesome story of a young boy, Joss McMillan, who is pushed into a new reality when he witnesses his baby sister’s cruel death at the hands of a bloody vampire. I know what you’re thinking, oh god not another Twilight knock off, well stop right there! This book is actually from the contrasting perspective of a vampire slayer. Bewer switches things up by enlightening us readers to a slayer’s world of vivid violence-- I personally loved this alternative take. T ...more
Teresa
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great male reader for the audiobook. I have the second one on CD too, which should meet my expectations, if this Audio is any indication. As a fan of the original Vladimir Tod series, I am really hoping for a crossover! Great way to spend my driving time :)
Rachel
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: deseret-connect
I reviewed this book about a reluctant teenage vampire for Deseret Connect, and I think that a certain audience will really, really love it (teenagers and certain YA vampire enthusiasts). For me, I am happy that I liked it--it ended on two satisfying twists. Prose was pretty boring, honestly, and Joss's thoughts are full of cliches like "he would never know how much I needed mentoring" (not an actual quote). I'll link my full review later. Some things I wanted to mention but were to persnickety ...more
Christian West
Jul 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen
A story of 13yo Joss who is destined to be a vampire slayer. The book centres around his training.

In reality the book spends an inordinate amount of time with the protagonist being physically abused by everyone. The rest of the time is him being upset about his sister being killed by a vampire.

In all honesty, it came across to me as a story about a boy being indoctrinated into a cult. At the start he at least questions their motives and aims but by the end he seems willing to believe anything h
Emma Hamdan
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
It had a very interesting plot, but it took a while to get going. The book wasn’t very well written and there wasn’t very good descriptive language when describing the characters and at times they felt very flat. It felt very corny and almost a joke and I didn’t enjoy it. The book was more of a hate read.
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
Original Review posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts

Note: Formatting has been lost due to copy and paste.

Joss has always had this perfect life – good parents, a super close cousin that can pass as a best friend, and an ever so adorable little sister – until she was murdered. Then his life goes downhill from there and he discovers a group of vampire slayers that some of his family members are a part of for generations that can help avenge his sister's death.

I thought The Slayer Chronicles would be a s
Amber
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Joss Mcmillan becomes a slayer. A slayer of bloodthirsty vampires. He does this to set his little sister’s soul to rest. When Joss was ten years old he witnessed his six-year-old sister’s death. He saw the streak of dark blood flow from her little neck; he saw the red lipped monster standing over the lifeless girl. He froze with fear, he feels he to blame for his sister’s untimely death. His sister- Cecile haunted his dreams. She taunted him in the nightmares blaming him for her death. Joss drea ...more
Reading Vacation
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Joss Macmillan (yes, THAT Joss Macmillan) has a tragic past. He once had a little sister, Cecile, who was his reason for living, his only friend. When Joss was ten, Cecile died at the hands of a vampire. Distraught and seeking revenge, Joss began training as a vampire slayer. Now, three years later, Joss prepares to put his skills into action.

If you like action, you will go wild for Joss’ vampire slayer training. There are rituals, explosives, hand-to-hand combat, and agonizing fight scenes. Sin
Brian Asencio
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Heather Brewer successful series of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod was awesome. Now with her new book series The Slayer Chronicles it starts with the character from Vladimir Tod, Joss. This is about how Joss joined the slayer society and how his sister died. Challenges of life can be painful. It worths having challenges because it teaches you life lessons and confidence in yourself. After his sister was killed by a vampire, he trains to be a slayer. He is under training under his uncle, Abraham ...more
Ryan Burt
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
1) Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Young Adult / Paranormal

3) Synopsis: Joss Macmillan experiences something horrible and with that his life changes. With that change he gets on the path to become a Slayer. The only question is if he has the stuff to become a Slayer.

4) Feelings: This is a partner book to the Vladimir Tod series. I really liked the Vladimir Tod series but was never the biggest fan of Joss Macmillan. So I fought picking this book up for a while. I am glad I did. I liked this bo
Blow Pop
Apr 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Content warnings: Abuse, manipulation, death, violence, fanaticism

UGH. I CAN'T PROPERLY EXPRESS MY CONTEMPT FOR MOST OF THIS BOOK.

I now know WHY I don't care much for Joss (besides the bits we see of him in the chronicles of vladmir tod) and why I particularly DON'T like his uncle.

Seriously, setting your nephew up for failure. Assuming that he's the traitor because deaths just happened to be near him. Beating him near to death with your friends as a "trial". Making him a fanatic to the point th
Lorena
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book completely pummeled the idea of sparkly vampires. ‘First Kill’ was written for real vampire fans, and those who are not vampires fans as well.
Heather Brewer put her audience into the world of a young boy who despises blood suckers. After he is told of his family’s secret heritage of the Slayer Society, he begins his vampire slayer training as their new recruit. Throughout his brutal education of being a slayer, we learn his reasoning for his fuel.
‘First Kill’ is full of surprises, su
Shyma
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gore-action
A story of a vampire slayer named Joss would be told in this book series. As for those who read The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, Joss happened to be Vladimir's friend, and this book shows the background and the view of a slayer.

In this book, Joss swore to become a great slayer after the horrible incident that flipped his world. He will be facing physical and spiritual challenges including proving himself to his uncle and become a great slayer.

The perfect American family description at the beginni
Glittery Mango (Ealee)
First Kill was good... but it wasn't really nearly as good as The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. The Slayer Chronicles is off to a pretty decent start, it's just that not much happened in this book, I could definitely understand Joss's emotional conflicts and how he was taking in everything in his surroundings, but it just wasn't as well as portrayed. First Kill in the end twines in with some foreshadowing of the events of the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. This book had an unexpected twist in the plo ...more
Braden Petersen
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good! This is a series but you have to read The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod first for it to make any sense. This is about Joss McMillan who's sister was murdered by a vampire. Then, Joss learns he is vampire slayer. He goes to a cabin in the woods with his uncle Abraham to be trained. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes fiction, adventure, and action books. Also, a little mystery plays into it. I really like this book and you should read it too!
Bookworm
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bibliophile Booklover
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, and can't wait to read the next one. it took me longer to read b/c i'm bias b/c i love the chronicles of vladmir tod onwe b/c i love vlad plain and simple and i sympathized with the vampire more than the slayer. what can i say i'm a vampire chick
Jacia
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did not finish this. The writing was noncommittal-- "No, he would use that pain, tuck it somewhere inside of him until he had the strength to find whatever had killed her and bring it to justice somehow." Really? Somewhere, whatever, somehow. All these words in one sentence to make it seem like this boy, who is supposed to be intellegent, is really just clueless.

Not only that, but this kid who is supposedly really young is the perfect son. Always great with his baby sister, does his chores wi
Harry
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Narration: The story was narrated from an outside person, also known as a third person narration. The narration seemed very factual and non opinionated not expressing their opinion.

Setting: The setting takes place in the outskirts of New York in a cabin out in the middle of the woods where they are separated from the rest of the human world.

Theme: The theme i thought was to make out whatever life throws your way because there is a lot of crap thrown at Joss and he just has to make out what life
Shaoroun
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
1.5

I don’t believe for a second that a 13 yr old has had absolutely 0 friends all his life, especially one that’s highly competent physically, there were a lot of decisions made in this book that i found confusing or that seemed like missed opportunities. I was not rooting for Joss at all because of his self defeatist attitude and how he seemed to remain stagnant in that throughout the novel rather than grow more confident in himself. While I acknowledge that there are 13 year olds like that I d
Jessica
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***Spoiler Alert***

Do you ever want to make a person payback for what they did? Well in this book Joss does. The Genre of this book is Fiction. This book is fiction because Vampires are not real. Joss wants revenge on a vampire who killed his sister. I likes this book alot i dont know if you will so here is my review.

The setting mostly takes place in a forest were there isnt much people. So it all started when Joss was going to go on a trip with his cousin and was so excited. His little sister C
Darian
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Asha McKay
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
How does Slayer fit into Vlad Tod? 2 9 Sep 30, 2013 06:50AM
Is Joss whiny? 10 12 Sep 23, 2013 07:01AM
The Chronicles Of...: The Slayer Chronicles: First Kill 5 8 May 15, 2013 01:59PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: First Kill (Slayer Chronicles 1) 1 3 Sep 24, 2012 03:51PM
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Blood Ninja (Blood Ninja, #1)
  • Vamped (Vamped, #1)
  • Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) (Sucks to Be Me, #1)
  • Rominus: The Initiation
  • Wolf Mark
  • Red Moon Rising
  • Sacrifice (Crave, #2)
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • Blood (Mercian Trilogy, #1)
  • Tears
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Skeleton Key: The Graphic Novel (Alex Rider: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Unwelcome (Archangel Academy #2)
  • Vampire Kisses: Graveyard Games, Volume 1
  • Almost Final Curtain (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #2)
  • Tantalize: Kieren's Story
Heather Brewer is the pseudonym of Zac Brewer…but you can call him Z.

Zac is the NYT bestselling author of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series, as well as The Slayer Chronicles series, Soulbound, The Cemetery Boys, The Blood Between Us, and more short stories than he can recall.

He grew up on a diet of Twilight Zone and books by Stephen King. He chased them down with every drop of horror he could

The Slayer Chronicles (3 books)
  • Second Chance (The Slayer Chronicles, #2)
  • Third Strike (The Slayer Chronicles, #3)
“Because pieces of your heart clearly weigh more when they're sitting shattered at the bottom of your stomach.” 145 likes
“What are we going to blow up?"
Morgan sighed happily and slapped joss on the back. " Kid... you just said my seven favorite words.”
29 likes