Start by marking “Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme” as Want to Read:
Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme

Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme

A favorite play rhyme takes on super-duper proportions as two children create a table-sized sandwich from scratch. "The joyfully sketched pandemonium will enliven story hours and preschool introductions with a perennially pleasing chant".--Booklist. Full color.
Published January 30th 1992 by Puffin Books (first published September 24th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Peanut Butter and Jelly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peanut Butter and Jelly

Barbara N. Hernandez
Text-to Teaching Connection: What is a response activity that you can do in a classroom with children in response to the book? Be specific (e.g. drama, music, art, writing, math, science, social studies, etc.).

Although this book uses very simplified text, it uses plenty of repitition and rhyming words. This is a great book to use with my students who struggle with “how to” writing. It is basically explaining how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but in a fun and creative way. I would r
Kelly Lin
I like this book because I like to eat the peanut butter and jelly. It also fun that children can make their own peanut butter and jelly with their own hand. I do understand that their might be some people who can not eat peanut.
April
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book with one of my students today. It's a really cute book about making a giant peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It has a refrain that's easy for kids to repeat and feel as though they are reading along, even if they are not yet readers. The illustrations are very well drawn and amusing. My student and I were particular fans of the huge loaf of bread and all the pictures with the elephants, though the one where they stomp the grapes in the bath tub is probably our favorite. I highl ...more
Hailey Forbes
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: contemporary realistic
Reading Level: lower elementary

This book would be good for a younger student. It tells how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The author uses repetition of the phrase “peanut butter, peanut butter, jelly, jelly”. This could be made into a jingle.
Keri Rohr
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Peanut Butter and Jelly is a modern fantasy book for grades K-2. I found this book very repetitive and boring to read. There was no purpose or lesson to the story. I would not recommend this book for a classroom.
Jessica
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Any book that has my one-year-old bringing it back to me over and over is a wonderful one in my mind.
Gayle
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
a great rhyming action book. Great for story telling and not just reading.
J
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun book that keeps kids' attention.
Kali Hilliard
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
3-4; poetry; This book is a lot of fun to kids to play along with! At the end o f the story is a recipe that would be fun to make with yr kids/students (if they do not have a peanut allergy!)
Randee Bontrager
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
Peanut Butter and a Jelly by Nadine Bernard Westcott is a fun play rhyme book for students. I liked this book because you can use motions while reading this book and you could also try to sing it while reading it. The illustrations also help this book more fun. This book just explains how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

The intended audience for this book would be Kindergartners and first graders. The words are big on each page and do not include a lot of words. The words are also si
Samara Winter
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Peanut Butter and Jelly was a cute book for children. The story is about a kid who thinks of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Then they learned to make every part of the peanut butter and jelly from scratch. Starting with the bread, kneading and the dough and then sticking gin in the oven. Next cracking peanuts and mashing them. In this scene the illustrator uses elephants to help the children. Then squash the grapes and put it all together. At the end of the book is a play rhyme.

This book i
Mary Parker
There is nothing particularly interesting about this book, but for a small child it would allow them to start to learn the concept of a rhyme.
Kimberlee Gutterman
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: predictable
This book can be read as a song. This means the characteristic of predictable books is flowing language. This book is great for showing children how to make a simple food such as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Although they will not be doing the steps such as mash the grapes to make jelly. And they won't smash the nuts to make peanut butter, but they can learn how to put them onto the bread to make a sandwich. This is a great learning experience because they will know that food has to be ma ...more
Mandy Scheuren
Apr 14, 2010 added it
Shelves: pb-1
Nadine Bernard Westcott’s work is not only a story but also a play rhyme. A young boy and girl assisted by a chef who teaches them how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! He directs them how to knead the dough and then how to bake it in the oven. Each line in the story is followed by “Peanut butter, peanut butter, Jelly, jelly”. Westcott becomes creative by having elephants crack open the peanuts for the peanut butter and squash the grapes in the bathtub to make the jelly! Throughout the ...more
Jennifer Kim
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a story about a young boy and girl who assists a chef in making a PB&J sandwich. Along the way, the characters encounter other animals who help them to make this sandwich. This book is not only a great instructional story, but it is also a play rhyme. This book would be great to use in the classroom because it keeps students active and engaged by singing the words of the book, and they can also move their hands according to the parts (such as kneading). This book would also be benefi ...more
Courtney
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edutl-2368
Westcott, N. Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme. NY: Scholastic Inc (1987).

This rhyming book is a funny "instruction" book on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The way that the sandwich is made in the story is extremely silly and the characters make a very large mess, but eventually manage to make the sandwich and enjoy it.

This is a very cute story with great pictures and kids ages 3-7 will really enjoy this book. You could use this book to teach children how to follow simple in
Kendra Hurst
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
This story was very cute and playful! I really enjoyed reading it and that all of the different characters help put this sandwich together. I think it is a good lesson for children to understand because even though a task may be small, it's always great to get help from friends and others. The artwork is also fairly creative. This is a good book to read as a bedtime story.
Cecilia
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidsbook
2.5 year old toddler really enjoys the rhyme and hand motions of this book. The second time I read this book, she already remembered the motions and moved her hands when I was reading. Illustrations are good. It also teaches the process of making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich which is one of favorite food for many children.
Samantha
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The illustrated playrhyme in which reader and listener build a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from the basics. There are notes about performing the actions of the ryhme following the story.

This rhythmic read with Westcott's charming watercolor illustrations is among one of my favorite read alouds. The pictures are silly and add humor.
Kimberly
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Kids love the rhythm and rhyme. (Personally I don't consider it rhyme because I think it is the same words over and over. Yes a word rhymes with itself, but it smacks of defining a word with itself in the definition.)
Rima Halig
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great circle time book. Keeps them active by singing the words of the book. They can repeat after you have read the sentence. Book also had hand movements associated with words on back page. Also a good resource to use when teaching verbs.
Sidney Chumbler
This book takes a familiar rhyme and helps children understand how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This book would be good to teach children how to follow simple directions. It would also be great for children who love rhymes.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at drop-in story time on 11/13/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 4/5/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Edna
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cute book with cartoony illustrations with a chef who enters the kitchen of two bored little children and, with the words of a popular children's song, and with the help of a few elephants, makes a great sandwich from scratch.
Kelley Bennett
This is a good book for beginners because there isn't a lot of text on each page. And this text is also repetitive so the student can predict what comes next. Also the illustrations help the student predict the text. And who doesn't love peanut butter and jelly??
Julianna
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: march
This book was cute and a little silly, but I just didn't connect with it and didn't really seem the point of purpose of such a book.
Cassie
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a great book that deals with rhymes! It is also a great book to have the children repeat the continuous phrase " peanut butter peanut butter jelly jelly" on each page.
Mckinley
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, poetry
Not so much, some fun illustrations
YouthServices MattesonPublicLibrary
The singy-song nature of this book lends itself to lots of participation. At storytime the kids love to chime in and "read along." Recommended for ages 3 to 8
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • Feast for 10
  • This Little Chick
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Down by the Bay
  • There Was a Tree
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • The Ballad of Valentine
  • Lunch
  • Let's Play in the Forest While the Wolf Is Not Around!
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • Hickory Dickory Dock
  • Down by the Station
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell!
  • Naughty Little Monkeys
  • The Little Red Hen
  • Snowball Fight!
Nadine Bernard Westcott is the illustrator of many popular books for children, including Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash and Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash, as well as the author and illustator of The Lady With The Alligator Purse. She used to spend many hours chasing after her dog, who would come home only when ready and not a minute sooner. Ms. Westcott lives on Nantucket with her husband, B ...more