Start by marking “Sebastian and the Afterlife” as Want to Read:
Sebastian and the Afterlife

Sebastian and the Afterlife

Sebastian awakes to find himself in a mystical realm somewhere between the living and the dead. Unspeakable dangers lurk in this realm. The Grim Reaper and his loyal agents work to maintain the law, as the threat of soul pirates (the wicked harvesters of spirit energy) has been on the rise. The infamous leader of the pirates, Axis Red, has a treacherous plan to take over t ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published February 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sebastian and the Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sebastian and the Afterlife

Start your review of Sebastian and the Afterlife
Grace
Debut author William J. Barry tackles an often discussed and written about topic, the afterlife, then employs his own unique and intriguing spin on it to create Sebastian and the Afterlife.

In Sebastian and the Afterlife, the Grim Reaper is a benevolent, yet strict, ruler who gives a lot of freedom to the departed, but little leniency to those who choose to break his few rules. He allows unsettled souls the opportunity to resolve lingering issues before heading to the afterlife by giving them the
Penelope
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
3 1/2 stars. This review was originally published on my blog: The Reading Fever

Sebastian and the Afterlife has a very interesting concept. It deals with those who pass away, who still have unfinished business in the mortal world. When they pass on, their spirit leads them to places of learning in a realm between the mortal world and the afterlife that is controlled by the Grim Reaper, where they learn the skills necessary to fulfill their unfinished business in the mortal world and move on the t
Naitasia
Ali (Ali's Bookshelf )
Sebastian and the Afterlife deals with a very intriguing concept. It's story plot revolves around people that have passed away from our world, but enter another, only souls that have unfinished business in our world can enter.

This world is controlled by the Grim Reaper himself and his Agents. The main danger in this story is the Soul Pirates. Pirates that are around and try to steal your soul! (insert evil laugh)

For me the idea of a place you go after you die, like the one in this book, is very
Stephanie
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
"I can't be dead...that's ridiculous."

Sebastian finds himself standing in front of an imposing archway surrounded by forest in the afterlife...well, sort of.

Seventeen year old Sebastian's soul has decided that he still has a purpose to fulfill and leads him to away from the archway to the afterlife and into Sapentia school, a high school for other souls still trying to finish their business. While at the school Sebastian and his new found spirit friends, Jack, Onyx and Patricia are guided by sp
Maxine
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
When 17-year-old Sebastian dies, he finds himself in a place between life and the afterlife. it is a place for people who have unfinished business. Here, Sebastian makes friends and attends school to learn what their unfinished business is. In this story, the Grim Reaper is a good guy whose job it is to guide and protect the newly dead mostly from soul pirates.

Despite being many many years past the age of the target audience, I really enjoyed this book. It is a well-written, sweet and fun story
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would, I found it hard to work out what age group it was aimed at (writing style seemed to be very young, but main character was 17 and book was quite long for a young child.). There was lots of unnessecary information in there, we didn't need to know all about Tyler's ex-girlfriend's boyfriend, same with alot of the other characters. There was too much telling, not enough showing, sentences like "Sebastian was sad."
I also didn't really understand
Talk Supe
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
full book review and author interview on talksupe.blogspot.com

This is a perfect book to give or read with/to someone between the ages 6-12 who are either into ghost stories or just recently lost someone close to them. It's a good story to ease a worried young heart who wonders what becomes of the soul of someone who passed away.
ParaYourNormal
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
A PYN Review of Sebastian and The Afterlife
SJ Byrne, PYN Reviewer

Sebastian and the Afterlife is an entertaining look at what 'life' might be like for a young spirit who leaves the living world behind before they're ready...

Read the entire review at ParaYourNormal
Martin85
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was great. I really liked the characters and multiple storylines that all tied together. The action is written very visual and I could have almost seen this as a graphic novel. It had a large cast and some of the chapters seemed a little long, but all in all, it was well worth the read.
Christine Henderson
Fantastic read from beginning to end! The protagonist, Sebastian, is more than capable of carrying the plot line without being a "predictable" character. How refreshing to be kept guessing throughout this supernatural tale. More later......
Wyndy
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting concept! Enjoyed the first book, reading book 2. Really liking direction of book 2, halfway through it!
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative and original! Can't wait to see what comes next from William Barry!
Donna Huber
A Harry Potter-esque ghost story. See my full review at Girl Who Reads ...more
Jennifer Pedroza
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book, and the characters of the Afterword. It was such a unique look at what could happen. I look forward to reading the second book soon.
Margaret Scanlan
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great read for all ages. enjoyed the characters and the layers of plot. looking forward to the next in the series!
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Creative and authentic! Can't wait to read more!
Felicity
Aug 03, 2011
Aug 11, 2011
Annmarie Iceland
Aug 18, 2011
I was born in Newton, New Jersey, but moved to Florida and then Georgia at a young age.
Growing up I attended a private Christian school (predominantly catholic) in Augusta, Georgia, for
elementary through high school.
Ever since I was in grade school, I wrote stories to pass the time. At the age of 12 I started
taking classical guitar followed by classical voice lessons at the local college. I contin

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...