Start by marking “Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up” as Want to Read:
Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up

Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up

Speaking Out features stories for and about LGBT and Q teens by fresh voices and noted authors in the field of young adult literature. These are inspiring stories of overcoming adversity (against intolerance and homophobia) and experiencing life after "coming out." Queer teens need tales of what might happen next in their lives, and editor Steve Berman showcases a diversit

Published September 20th 2011 by Bold Strokes Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Speaking Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking Out

Hilcia
This excellent collection of thirteen stories gathered and edited by Steve Berman for and about LGBT and Q young adults not only features stories that address the difficulties of coming out to friends and family, but most importantly Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up highlights experiences, changes and difficulties that affect and are experienced by young adults after that important step is taken.

The stories are as varied in style and content as are the writers themselves. L, G, B, T, and Q sto
Indie Reviews

Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up by editor Steve Berman is an excellent collection of thirteen short stories for and about LGBTQ teens and young adults. The anthology offers a diversity of life experiences and covers a spectrum of issues that LGBTQ youth face in living as out, from first crushes, falling in love and relationships, to forming supportive networks, standing up to homophobia and other discrimination, and planning for their future.

Read the complete review of Speaking Out: LGBTQ You
Rebecca
This was a wonderful collection of stories from a wide range of viewpoints and places in the GBLT spectrum. In collections, some stories are always better than others, and it's a pity that the first story in this didn't really grab my attention, and I almost didn't read the whole book because I was having trouble getting through it. However, once I did, I couldn't stop reading the rest of it. Lots of hard times for these characters, but lots of support as well, sometimes from unexpected places.
Bob
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, ya
I love short story collections and buy them often. This was was really good. I especially enjoyed The Trouble with Billy by Jeffrey Ricker where we discover a twist on bullies and Subtle Poison by Lucas J.W. Johnson where the fringe kids befriend Alex, trangender kid. All of them are fine stories about kids coming out in high school.
bjneary
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia, psla-2012, ya
Speaking Out. Valley Falls, NY: Bold Strokes Books, 2011. 978-1-60282-566-6. 276p. $13.95. Gr. 9-12.
A wonderful collection of short stories designed to captivate and urge LGBT kids to speak out and let their voices, stories, and thoughts be heard. The author of each story has an introduction detailing their life as a YA author and a personal story or anecdote.
Zorayda
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a very wondeful set of stories by LGBTQ youth speaking out about their coming out fears and experiences that are very heart-warming and lets youth everywhere know that it's ok, alot of people are going through this and it's going to be ok. Speaking out is the best thing LGBTQ youth can do.
Julia
“All Gender U” by Sandra McDonald is about Lin and the inclusive college she dreams of attending, since she was born a boy. “Only Lost Boys Are Found” by Steve Berman is about an unnamed second-person narrator rescuing/ locating Neil, the boy he likes, from a literal or is it figurative closet, with the help of Neil’s brother, a bully, and the narrator’s mean sister. “The Spark of Change” by Dia Pannes is about Miriam and her Dad, when she helps put out at a fire, at her teacher’s house, when he ...more
Morninglight Mama
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Teenaged relationships are universally tricky, but for young people who have uncertainty about their sexual orientation or are gay, either openly or undisclosed, there's an additional level of challenge. Parental disapproval is a common experience, as well as difficulty dealing with harassment from peers. Though these negative experiences are featured in many short stories in this collection, even greater emphasis is placed on the characters' abilities to overcome these challenges, rise above ha ...more
Lia
Oct 21, 2012
Rebekah
Jun 07, 2016
Lucas J.W. Johnson
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
sharon
Oct 03, 2011
Bonnie
Jul 28, 2011
Meghan
Jan 25, 2016
Some tidbits about me...

I turned down a scholarship to Miskatonic University because I heard of the high rate of incidents against the student population.

I briefly worked for Omni Consumer Products in their Marketing Department. Great benefits, nice cafeteria, sadly too prone to executive whim.

Last year I stayed at the noted Mauna Pele resort in Hawaii. The accommodations were impressive but my tr