Start by marking “Z Goes Home” as Want to Read:
Z Goes Home

Z Goes Home

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
This glorious new picture book is by the author of Milo's Hat Trick (a Publishers Weekly Best Book of 2001). This alphabet story follows the letter Z as he returns home from work, passing characters which suggest a familiar shape. Full color.
Published 2003 by Hyperion Books For Children (first published January 1st 2001)

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On his way home 'Z' passes through the rest of the alphabet - great A-B-C book with a unique twist.
Cindi
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Z Goes Home" is a fun alphabet book full of hilarious illustrations that tells a story of one letter Z's daily job. How he gets home from his place of employment is the subject of this children's book by Jon Agee.

Preschoolers and young children enjoy picture books that are filled with interesting illustrations and that can tell a story whether words are used or not. In Jon Agee's alphabet book, the letter Z leaves his daily job at the end of the day and experiences all sorts of adventures on th
Delaney Thompson
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has a job to do and each one gets the job done especially Z. When the day is done, it is time for everybody to go home. On Z's way home, he passes an Alien, a Bridge, a Cake, as well as 22 other characters that suggest familiar shapes. After running into and passing all of the characters in the alphabet, Z finally arrives home. Home sweet home.
This is the perfect learning tool.

The cheerful presence across the earth-toned scenery allows a calming feeling throughout the story. The bright
Beth Bacon
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This alphabet book has a simple plot that the Z from a Zoo sign commutes home passing, in alphabetical order, letters formed in interesting scenes. For example, X is for Xerox, and the scene is a woman, outside, using a copy machine and her papers all have an X on them and are scattered in the shape of an X. Don't try to think too hard: we never know why the "OO" on the ZOO sign don't go home, or why the Z lives in a house with similarly colored letters and punctuation marks.
Library
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun alphabet book in which Z walks readers through the alphabet on his way home from working in the City Zoo sign. Z walks past a jetty, a factory and a bridge among other items that are all drawn in the shape of their starting letter. Agee's illustrations to match the word for each letter are subtle but it is a great extra detail. Another bonus is Agee's inclusion of a glossary since some his selected words might be new additions to the vocabulary of his young readers.
Kelly
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an alphabet book with a neat twist. Each letter is actually part of the environment or scenery that the letter Z follows on his journey home. Very creative work.
Liz Todd
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, abc
Interesting vocabulary, too.
Misbah
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
An ok way to introduce words by relaying to their corresponding letters. The letter z travels through the alphabet to get home.
Alyssa Becker
Z Goes Home; written by: Jon Agee; Copyright 2003, 28 pgs.
*Picture Book #2: Alphabet Book*

I have to say, I was not too impressed by this book. The story line was a good idea, with the letter Z going home from his job. On the way home he passes the entire alphabet! Along his journey he encounters a variety of people, things, and places; however, this is the part of the book I did not really like. I think if the author would have picked more of a theme, such as going home through the zoo or throug
Breanna Samuels
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Z Goes Home is an alphabet book that introduces each letter by putting a illustration of an object that is shaped like that letter to go with it. For example, a hurdle looks like a capital H and how the end of an "oak" log can look like a capital O. This book is not a good alphabet book for a introduce in the letters for the first time, for their correct letter formation, for their uppercase and lowercase letters, and for the sounds of the letters. The letter z is introduced out of order and mul ...more
Amanda
Nov 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
A neat ABC book to go with all the others we have out right now. This one is very graphic (almost architectural, which is why I chose it) and has some interesting words for each letter ie jetty and xerox. The letters aren't always so easy to make out in the landscape, but that's one of the fun parts about it. Anything with letters is OK in my son's mind and this was no exception. We've read it several times and he likes to call out the letters as we go. On U, where there are a number of athletes ...more
Ashlea
Oct 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Z goes home is an alphabet book. Z has worked all day is on his way home. On the route home he pass an alien, bridge, a cake, ect, something for every letter. The bridge makes a B, the cake makes a C, ect, till he reaches home. The book is made up of 26 words, one word for every letter.

Activity #1- Have the students take the 26 different words and write a paragraph including all 26 words.

Activity #2- Have the students pick another letter and make a map of the letter’s way home. The map must incl
Joseph Lapierre
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Z Goes Home is a book I found very enjoyable. I think and would suggest that this book would be most beneficial for grades 1-3.Throughout the book each letter is exemplified by a noun for example (Ink,etty,arate). Also each object is also shaped like the letter. For example " a round cake". In most alphabet books, letters follow one after the other and children know what's coming next, but this is less predictable. Bold shapes and lines create a clean, comical look. I loved this book and most de ...more
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
This alphabet book opens with letter "Z" hopping down from his perch of the city zoo sign. As he heads home, he passes all the other letters of the alphabet in their various incantations: A is an A-shaped alien, B is a B-shaped bridge, and so on. Part of the fun is identifying each letter and, as with all good alphabet books, there are interesting vocabulary words to learn. Format and illustrations in the graphic style of Agee's "Milo's Hat" - thick pencil lines filled with watercolor.
Cara Byrne
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
While i appreciate Agee's unique take at the alphabet picture book, including pages like G (gargoyle), U (uniforms), and L (labyrinth), his unique storytelling style is just not as compelling and his pictures less charming in this picture book. I say pick up any one of his more interesting picture books instead!
Javen Smith
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for K-5, because gives each letter in order. Also the words in the book are a bit higher level, but in the back of the book it gives the definition of each word the author mentions in the book. The vocabulary in the book is great and the colors in the book make it more fun! Z Goes Home is a great book for any child learning words, sounds, and letters. Great Book!
Shanshad Whelan
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
An unusual alphabet book that is pure Jon Agee. It's not going to be the best for young children learning their ABC's, but it's fun. A little dated, however, since most younger generation kiddos won't recognize the term "xerox" any longer.
M.
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love alphabet books and this one is definitely one that I would like to own when I have children. Mr. Agee used words that are not your typical "ABC" book choices. I enjoyed the illustrations for this one as well.
Ms Threlkeld
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A creative approach to the ABC book format - each illustrated word starts with a different letter and is shaped like that letter.
Alexandria Hiam
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabet, literacy
Alphabet picture book, not really a story, close to a wordless picture book, except for a single word on each page corresponding with each letter of the alphabet.
A
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Jennifer Heise
A good basic alphabet picture book, but not up to the standards of AlphaOops or LMNO Peas. My five year old let me read it but didn't request it again.
Esodhiambo
end page has glossary
light on text
Alex Bemis
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a fun book for learning letters as well as reading a story. It isn't completely focused on the letters, but it tells a story of the letter Z.
Rosemary Szczygiel
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Pre k - 3. One of the best illustrated arrangements I've ever read. Children's author and illustrator Jon Agee is one of the best. Pardon the pun, "Terrific!"
Lauren Barnum
Oct 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved how this book was able to give each letter a unique name and a unique way of showing the letter. Also, if the kids get confused or don't know what a word is, it gives simple definitions.
Jill
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very cute, but it's a little boring for my 2 1/2 year old as he doesn't know his letters yet. Maybe in a year or two . . .
Deborah
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Z leaves the zoo and travels all over the land to make it home, passing landmarks that resemble letters. Z finally makes it home to the rest of the alphabet.

Recommended 5-8 years old.
Kim
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a really well done ABC book. The pictures are very engaging.
Jen
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
This is a basic alphabet book but it has delightful pictures.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »