Start by marking “Death By Sarcasm (Mary Cooper Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death By Sarcasm (Mary Cooper Mystery, #1)

Death By Sarcasm

(Mary Cooper Mystery #1)

DEATH BY SARCASM introduces mystery readers to Mary Cooper, a Los Angeles area private detective who masks her true, caring nature with a razor-sharp, heavily sarcastic sense of humor.

In DEATH BY SARCASM, Mary learns that her uncle, a former stand-up comedian has been murdered. She is asked to assist in finding the killer by both the police and family members. Mary quickly
Published February 27th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Death By Sarcasm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death By Sarcasm

Start your review of Death By Sarcasm (Mary Cooper Mystery, #1)
James Thane
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
As the title would imply, this is a light, breezy read and is the first in a series featuring an L.A. private investigator named Mary Cooper.

Mary's uncle, Brent Cooper, was an aging stand-up comedian, and when he's found murdered behind a seedy comedy club, Mary is called to the scene. Mary's reaction to the crime is witty and sarcastic--just what her late uncle would have expected and relished.

As usual, the police tell Mary to butt out and not to interfere with their investigation. And, as
Lisa
Dec 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Bad, bad, bad. Which is unfortunate, it had opportunity to be a decent read and missed by a mile long. There are certain language usage pet peeves I have and this novel contained ALL of them! What are the odds? Yes, all of them appeared and repeatedly. Example:

"really" or "really, really" - 63 times;
"just" - 207 times;
"like" - 222 times.

Are you kidding me? If that wasn't bad enough, the story follows Mary Cooper, private investigator, sarcastic potty mouth extraordinaire. I have no aversion to
gert
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
i do like female protagonists. and i don't NEED to like them. but it sure makes it easier.

i get that our heroine (or is that sexist? hero? whatever.) is funny and sarcastic - look at the title. but all that hilarity has totally stunted her emotionally. pushing people away with her sarcasm (none of which is particularly clever, btw) doesn't make for great relationships. and frankly, as a reader she totally got on my nerves. so i can only imagine what her fellow characters must think.

that said,
kent
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Old stand up comics start dying and our private eye starts looking around. with many twists and turns the story stays interesting as Mary tracks down the killer(s) It is a typical who done it with a humerus amount of sarcasm added for laughs. I have to say that the rape scene feels as though it were shoe horned in. after the conclusion and all the pieces are put together you can see how it is relevant. yet it was out of place.
Angela Verdenius
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! Sharp wit, sarcasm, a good mystery and a female PI written by a bloke, which isn't something I've often seen (I actually can't remember ever reading a female PI written by a bloke). Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
I have mixed feelings on this little mystery as it was quite funny in places. Sarcasm is both a weapon and a shield for Mary, our Private Investigator protagonist. I want to know more about her as she's an intriguing character who is at her best surrounded by family. We don't know much about her past, except that she was raised by her Aunt Alice after the death of her parents. Hopefully the author will reveal more about that in the next book.

Mary is investigating the brutal death of her Uncle,
Amy Corwin
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
As they say, so far, so good.
Actually, I'm enjoying this a lot, mostly because I have a fondness for sarcasm and have been known (pretty much my whole life) to say things that most people take the wrong way. In fact, I was reading a quote from Jane Austen the other day which I thought was darkly funny (Austen had commented that "a woman who had just lost her baby in childbirth due to suffering a shock, must have caught a glimpse of her husband [thereby causing it]." Maybe you had to be there,
Joe Young
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mary Cooper was raised in a family that couldn't communicate without busting the chops of the person they were trying to communicate with. The family was a long line of standup comics, writers and comedy club promoters and they all related with each other in this fashion. Things started getting strange when Mary went to the crime scene of her uncles murder (she was invited by a former boy friend who was a homicide detective). Her quick quips served her well in her vocation as a private ...more
Quillracer
Nov 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
The only good thing about this book is it was short. And free.

Too much of anything, be it chocolate cake or topical humor, takes away what makes it such a joy to consume. The constant sarcasm out of every character’s mouth in this book quickly ceases to be amusing and becomes annoying. It begins to sound forced and is tiring to read.

The constant references to sex, too, don’t help this book in any way. They make the author seem like a teen boy in the midst of raging puberty.

Add in a few
Aj
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dani Amore writes the LA I know and love. The hidden places the tourists don't see, the places that give La La Land more character than you can find in all of Manhattan and Jersey combined. You got an all time smart ass in a rickety bus full of cussing and caring and flatulence and has-beens and the clubs that promise laughter and give you stale flop sweat instead and just-plain-crazy killers and an injured kitten with a hidden heart attacking the world with claws of puns and bad jokes and (yes) ...more
Elaine
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I like the sarcastic wit but not so much the crass humor and other ribald speech. A bit too unrefined.

I'm reading this one to my husband and he's enjoying it. I need to find a book to read to myself and I keep thinking that I want to order and read the author's next one now but then "oh ya, I'm still reading this one!"

lots of typos. minus 1 star for crudeness and for some parts that were difficult to follow

Even though this is thoroughly ribald, it is humorously so. Much to her chagrin, Mary
Heather
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Eh. This will shock anyone who knows me, but really, there IS such a thing as too much sarcasm. I mean, if every thought you have, just to yourself, is sarcastic, you might have a wee bit of a problem. It also was so oddly placed at times... anyhow, beyond that, the mystery itself was interesting enough, most of the plot turns pretty predictable but not entirely. Good diversion, but nothing I'll remember in a few months, I'm sure.

(And just how old is the writer? She kept writing about these
Book-shelf Shelf
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dani has broken with the traditional crime thriller mould and has written a female lead character that every reader will love; Mary is a sharp tongued heroine who says what she thinks and holds no punches. The story is fast paced, with some very funny one liners and still keeps the reader guessing until the end. I loved it; I loved the story, the writing style and the characters.

Come on Dani you are a talented writer, get pen on paper and write more.

This is the first novel by Dani Amore, who can
Benoit Lelièvre
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While DEATH BY SARCASM is very conventional in its form (an old-school hardboiled P.I novel), its fresh approach (a female protagonist, addicted to sarcasm) puts it ahead of the pack. The plot might seem deceiving at first (I thought I had solved it 40% in), but it managed to keep me guessing and suprise me by the end. Smart novel and already rolling on a formula. I could see (and would read) twenty of those and maybe more. Very enjoyable.
Deb
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
The female lead character reminded me alot of the female lead Mary Shannon on the TV show "In Plain Sight". She's fun and lively and smart-alecky, with ba&*s of steel, but with a softer side too. Enjoyed the book - fun read. By author Dani Amore, WINNER OF THE 2011 INDEPENDENT BOOK AWARD FOR CRIME FICTION

"Dani Amore is a sensation among Kindle owners who love fast-paced thrillers."
--Mystery Tribune

Donna Glaser
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I was surprised by the wide variations of the reviews until I remembered how very subjective humor is. If you like cracklin' wit and snappy comebacks, this is the book for you. It definitely is the book for me! It's easy to get lost in the humor, but I also want to comment that this is a solid mystery and carries the requisite twists and turns and red herrings. This series is a keeper and I'll be coming back for more.
Lori Henrich
Dec 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Mary Cooper is a private investigator who is looking into the murder of her uncle. She is a pistol packing comedian. Her Uncle Brent was a stand-up comedian so she comes by her sense of humor naturally. As she begins her investigation, it quickly goes from bad to worse.

It was a fast moving story with surprises here and there.
Sibel Hodge
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I could easily relate to Mary. She's fun, quirky, witty, but also has a vulnerable side that she covers up with sarcasm. She's also a good PI, investigating the death of her uncle. It's a fun, fast-paced mystery wrapped up with a lot of humor. Would love to read another Mary Cooper mystery.
June
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2011
Funny, good story. It made me laugh and I completely appreciated the sarcastic level of banter from the main character.
Val Wilkerson
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books-read
Again a P.I. story and again Dani Amore had me laughing
with her sense of humor. A fun read.
February Four
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
A little too irreverent for my tastes, though I know at least one co-worker who might find this series hilarious.
Julie Butcher
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I fucking loved it -- so LA!
Debra
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The death of P.I Mary Cooper’s uncle Brent has her hunting for a killer while crossing paths with her cop ex-boyfriend and his nasty supervisor, who’s also gone out with the ex. The hunt takes Mary into the sordid world of failed, aging comedians, and a whole lot of danger.

This is one of those few mysteries that had me laughing out loud. The one-liners are indeed sarcastic from Mary and her aunt Alice, but some of them are also hilarious. The characters that author Dan Ames has drawn are
dennis barron
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death by Sarcasm. Dan Ames

Mary Cooper is a P.I. In LA. Her uncle an over the hill comedian is brutally murdered outside of a grungy comedy club. His last appearance. Mary is now trying to run down any lead she can to find the killer. Her uncle had a lot of enemies . So did his cronies. Bodies are piling up. An excellent whodunnit murder mystery.
Suzee
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot:good.Jokes:meh.

I had trouble liking the lead character.There was so much sarcasm,it made her unlikable at times.I even contemplated not finishing ,but the plot was moving along really well.Kept me curious.
Karin
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If only sarcasm caused weight loss!!! There are some people who get it and people who didn’t. The Shark obviously was one of the latter. Thank goodness for Mary. I enjoyed this story and highly recommend the book.

Linda
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
The book was entertaining with the device of sarcasm, albeit overused at times. No wonder I couldn't figure out who the murderer was! Good job on that, author.
Jean Vogelsong
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Sarcasm i

Love Sarcasm in a story, because you really have to pay attention or you in up going down a rabbit's hold and read the whole chapter again.
Michelle Padilla
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

If you like Stephanie Plum you will like this series. I laughed and really enjoyed this story from beginning to end!
Penny
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly my new favorite detective. Move over Kinsey. Mary Cooper is in town.

Look, I get that she's unlikeable and snarky and beyond crass. But she's brave and smart. I like that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #216 - Death by Sarcasm 1 1 Jan 04, 2016 09:19AM
Barnes & Noble Nook: Sarcasm 1 15 Aug 22, 2011 12:51PM

• Killer Groove (Cooper & Rockne Mysteries #1)
  • School girl (The Garbage Collector #3)
  • Body Blow (John Rockne #5)
  • Cold Jade (John Rockne Mysteries #3)
  • Hard Rock (John Rockne Mysteries #2)
  • Long Shot (John Rockne #4)
  • Sugar (Wade Carver Thrillers Book 2)
  • Whiskey Rebellion (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #1)
  • The Jack Reacher Cases: Complete Books #1, #2 & #3
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1)
  • Timestream 1 (The Reacher Code #1)
  • A Man Built for Justice (The Jack Reacher Cases)
  • Molly (Wade Carver Thrillers Book 1)
  • The Way They Were (That Second Chance, #2)
  • Cliff Diver (Emilia Cruz Mysteries #1)
  • Easy Prey (John Rockne Mysteries #4)
  • Murder on the Lake (Inspector Skelgill Investigates, #4)
  • Cookbook from Hell: Reheated (Dieties Anonymous #1)
pseudonym of Dan Ames

Mary Cooper Mystery (3 books)
  • Murder With Sarcastic Intent (Mary Cooper Mystery, #2)
  • Gross Sarcastic Homicide (Mary Cooper #3)
“Never mind,” Mary said, once they’d settled into” 0 likes