Start by marking “The Viper Within” as Want to Read:
The Viper Within

The Viper Within

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
DISILLUSIONED WITH HIS childhood faith, Jon longs to restore that sense of belonging to something greater than himself. Enter Jeremiah, magnetic and mysterious founder of the Brotherhood of the Hebetheus. In Jon, Jeremiah finds a willing disciple for his “new” religion, and an eager participant in the Brotherhood’s daring plan: they will kidnap a classmate who Jeremiah bel ...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Viper Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Viper Within

Becky
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mills, Sam. 2008. The Viper Within. (Originally published in Great Britain in 2007 as The Boy Who Saved the World.)

Opening paragraph:

7:00 PM: Two Hours To Go...
In two hours' time I--and the rest of the Brotherhood--will kidnap a terrorist. Our code for this terrorist is SNAKE. By kidnapping SNAKE tonight, we the Brotherhood of the Religion of Hebetheus--will prevent a bomb from going off at St. Sebastian's Secondary School.

Our narrator is teen guy named Jon. (His story is told in first person
Lauren
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of <i>Godless</i> by Pete Hautman.
Shelves: ya
Around the middle of this book, I was immediately reminded of when I read Godless by Pete Hautman. In both books, teenagers start their own religion and things go to far creating all sorts of problems. In this novel, Jon is very confused regarding his faith and beliefs. When Jeremiah approaches him and says that God came to Jeremiah in a dream and said that Jon would be part of his new religion, Jon is skeptical at first. But Jon is longing to believe in something--he is longing to belong. And J ...more
Linda
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bullying
Disillusioned in his faith after his vicar father divorces his mom and marries the woman across the street, Jon is drawn to the Brotherhood of Hebetheus lead by the megalomaniac Jeremiah. Jon joins the brotherhood on the mission to abduct a fellow student that Jeremiah claims is a terrorist that goes all wrong. Jon struggles with what is right and the merging of all of his religious thoughts and training new and old as his world slowly disintegrates. Not a book to read before bedtime!
Jon joins a cultish new religion created by one of his classmates. In an attempt to save lives, they kidnap Padma, who they believe to be a terrorist at their school. Bogged down by sentiments that seek to be profound in their search for what God and religion really mean. Kind of unbelievable with a disappointing ending.
P.
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yyay
I was only planning to read a little of this before bed, but ended up reading the whole thing in 2.5 hours. It starts out with a cheesy tone, but it is about being in a cult, so I guess the brainwashed would tend to sound cheesy in their narration, right? And I thought the font would bother me the whole way through but I stopped noticing it (it's slightly gothic).
Pepper
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: screwball
I honestly didn't know what to expect from this book. Everything about it played into my interests, but the ending was such a curve ball. If you have an interest in cults, terrorism, etc. then this might be up your alley.
Jessie Devine
I liked the premise and pacing of this book. However, the ending was unsatisfying and personally, I thought it was a cop-out.
Cathy
The ending sucked!
Becca
What the... I don't even know man. I don't even know.
Though this book was good, I would not recommend it. It was kind of like Stolen, it was so disturbing I rushed my way through it.
Iliana
Feb 11, 2011
Athaclena
Nov 15, 2012
Girlfoxgirl
rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2011