Start by marking “My Mom, the Style Icon” as Want to Read:
My Mom, the Style Icon

My Mom, the Style Icon

Moms are people, too...fashionable people! Before we came along to yank on their skirts, they showed leg, sported killer bangs, and flaunted bikinis. Some even wore feathers and halter tops and drove around on motorcycles. Was their style shocking? Yes. Covetable? Absolutely. Based on Piper Weiss's hugely popular blog of the same name, this book features 200 color photogra ...more
Published April 6th 2011 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about My Mom, the Style Icon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mom, the Style Icon

Elizabeth7781
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
I discovered this book through Ari Cohen's blog, Advanced Style, dedicated to older women who are still fashionistas. I found this book a delightful tribute to moms everywhere, most of whom enjoyed a sense of style before the responsibilities and frugality required by motherhood pulled them in a different sartorial direction.

Besides just enjoying the vintage photos, particularly of the 1960s and 1970s that I remember so well, the book made me think back to some of my favorite childhood photos w
Phyllis
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion
I loved this book a little more in theory than practice. The photographs are beautiful, and I love that the people who submitted photos and stories have such warm, loving memories of their stylish mothers. Moms get dumped on a lot, so it's very, very refreshing to see something that celebrates motherhood in such a fun way. But the introductory blurbs written by the author for each chapter are so inane they're almost surreal. There's this continual Christopher Columbus-esque amazement that mother ...more
ModCloth
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We're totally inspired by this book! As a vintage loving fashion retailer, our closest source of vintage inspiration are our own marvelous moms. The full color pages of Piper Weiss's book celebrate the ageless beauty and style that the women in our lives championed.

Check out our Inherited Hauteness Contest going on from now until May 4th. http://bit.ly/i3ahGZ

What's the first outfit you remember your mom donning?
Cheryl
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is great fun for a vintage lover. The concept of Mom as style icon, is an interesting one. Love the sixties and older stuff, but some of the late 70's and almost all of the 80's in this book was pretty freaking hideous. Would have loved to seen some more alternative and creative looks. Wasn't anybody's mom a Goth? Still a lot of fun to look at.
Minna
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Not exactly what I expected. When I read the description of the book, I pictured retro shots of a variety of moms, maybe with captions saying what was so fashionable about them. The 'chapters' were a little distracting, and I would have liked far more pictures and less essays. But overall, a cute idea and a fun opportunity to see moms at their best instead of their mom-jean-wearing worst.
Sarah Rosenberger
Awesome idea -a celebration of stylish moms throughout the ages- but the presentation left something to be desired. The themed chapters didn't really work, and I would have liked to see a few more candid photos of typical (but awesomely dressed) moms and a few less modeling glamour shots, but overall, it was a cool little book.
Joyce
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Well, of course I had to check out this book. Nice and interesting to look back at styles from the past.
Eli Warner
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
bought this for my mom for mother's day (shh don't tell!) cute cute cute.
Lswinakur
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A gift from my daughter and one that I love. What fun to look back on fashion and see what we used to think looked good! Times do change, but the fun of looking at fashion never gets old.
Elle Cuddy
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wish it had a page to add in one's own mum!
Melissa
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring for those who love style and fashion from past decades! A nice mix of stories, photos, and the significance of everyday, personal style.
Kathy
Jaime
Aug 03, 2011
Lauren
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
The imagery in this book was lovely
Booklover