Start by marking “Dear Mem Fox, I Have Read All Your Books Even the Pathetic Ones: And Other Incidents in the Life of a Children’s Book Author” as Want to Read:

The internationally acclaimed children’s book writer, on herself and on the art of writing and publishing children’s books.
Published March 31st 1992 by Mariner Books (first published 1990)

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Mem Fox, I Have Read All Your Books Even the Pathetic Ones

Kimberly
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you love Mem ... and you love Mem's books ... then you will absolutely love this book about Mem AND her books!
Sharon Buxton
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
B+. nonfiction, autobiography, author, Australia. Enjoyed the entire book; particularly interesting were the author's comments on America.
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, memoir, writing
This book was recommended to me and I read it without knowing any of Mem Fox's books! She's hilarious, and has a very particular self-deprecating sense of humor that I enjoyed.
Caren
Jul 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Mem Fox, an Australian children's book author, grew up in southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe), where her parents were missionaries. Rather than college, she attended drama school in England, where she met her English husband, Malcolm. The two of them then moved as "migrants" to Australia and have never left. She got a job as a tutor in drama at a college, then became a lecturer (during which time she got her college degree). She is also a storyteller, writer and mother of one daughter, Chloe. She goes ...more
Storyteller John Weaver
My reading of the title led me to believe this book would be primarily letters and reactions from Fox's readers, but it was actually an autobiography with not too much, really, on the "funny things my readers say" front. It was an enjoyable read, though, as Fox has led a remarkable life, and writes about it with great joy and humor. The experience of having been exposed to this book will add to the experience of reading her early children's books, now that I know a bit of the story behind them.
Nic
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nic by: Mom
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is hilarious and interesting. Born in Australia, Mem Fox grew up in an African village with intellectually energetic parents, then went to drama school in England, where she met her husband. The two of them drifted around before settling in Australia. Both teach, and Fox has a lot to say about that, as well as topics that range from what it's like to have written a bestselling and emphatically Australian children's book to why her OCD is the fault of Switzerland. Lots of fun.
Donalyn
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
An interesting memoir from the children's book author and literacy advocate, Mem Fox, From her childhood in Africa to her experiences publishing her famous books like Possum Magic, Mem has had an interesting life.

Not a book for kids, in spite of the fact that I found it in my school library. Mem explores some adult experiences here.
Pete Monica
May 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Great advice for those looking to write picture books. An interesting upbringing in Africa, and fascinating tours. I only put two stars because I felt troubled by her stance on motherhood, or rather, her mothering of her daughter. I admire the honesty of the writing, but worried for her daughter.
Judy
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The title alone grabbed me and I had to read this book. An author of children's books, a child actually wrote the "fan letter" in the title. Kids tell it like it is! Enjoyed the entire book about Fox's writing life.
Alan
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
The best title! A favorite author.
Lisa
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have found the chapters on writing to be really inspiring for primary writing teachers. I keep reading passages and wanting to share them with my class.
Molly
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: penn-reading
She made me laugh, and had some good advice on writing for children. Not a book I'd re-read, but entertaining in the context of my writing for children class.
Pita-eater
Lynn Vieira
May 30, 2015
Mary Ann
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Funny, sad, interesting. She's open and honest about her life.
Lisa Rector
Jan 19, 2008
Amy Harper
Apr 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th