Start by marking “All My Dogs: A Life” as Want to Read:
All My Dogs: A Life

All My Dogs: A Life

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews

It may be true that a dog is a man's best friend, but if you are a serious dog owner, you are probably a serial dog owner, having embraced not one but a succession of canine companions, each of them memorable in their own particular way, and each marking a particular epoch in your own life. We remember which dogs our children teased (and which generally suffered the abuse

Published August 15th 2011 by David R. Godine Publisher (first published May 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about All My Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All My Dogs

Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Lovely little book about love, faith, family- and the dogs who embodied all three.
Kelly
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a story of Bill Henderson's life told through the stages by which dog he owned at the time. The drawings of each pet are beautiful and I found the book to be cathartic after having to put down our 14 yr old labrador retriever a few weeks prior to spotting this in the library. It's an easy read and very enjoyable if you're an animal lover.
Daniel Oaks
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sentimental without being weepy. Quick and enjoyable human to dog to dog to dog etc. memoir.
soccerlover123
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a memoir about the life of Bill Henderson. Bill did not live a life like other people but at the end of the book you will realize his unconditional love for dogs. Bill had a dog since the day he was born and he can never get enough of them. This book brings you through the rough patches of creating a family and the numerous dogs of Bill Henderson. When I was reading this book it made me realize how good dogs are, that they are good to have around. I have two dogs and I never really ...more
Andy Plonka
Feb 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book is very upsetting to me. Purportedly the author loves his dogs yet his description of howe he has treated them makes me think otherwise. Really, can you go away for the weekend and leave your two dogs outside running free? No wonder the poor creatures met a horrid end. The author needs to have goldfish, they, at least can do their own goldfish thing and think for themselves without coming to harm.
Lisa
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a slim, pretty book, a memoir organized around all the dogs Henderson loved over the course of his life, with lovely pen and ink portraits of them. Predictably, I cried at my desk at work, in the staff lunchroom, on the subway (twice), and finally at home, thank goodness. That said, it was a sweet, almost artless little book -- no pyrotechnics, just straight-up storytelling -- and I enjoyed it a lot.

Full review to follow soon.
Granny
Jun 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit
Quit reading. Parts about dogs interesting, but writer had too much about his personal obessessions with sexual matters. Boring.
Sue Gordy
Aug 07, 2017
Russ Ryan
Feb 13, 2013
Katie
rated it did not like it
Dec 23, 2011