Start by marking “A Certain Want of Reason” as Want to Read:
A Certain Want of Reason

A Certain Want of Reason

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A Certain Want of Reason Kate Dolan Lucia Wright needs a holiday. After years of caring for her "eccentric" younger brother and sister in the country, she accepts a friend's invitation to spend a few weeks enjoying the season in London only to find that life among the city's elite may be even crazier than at home. Lord Edmund Rutherford needs an escape. Sworn since childho ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Ellora's Cave

To ask other readers questions about A Certain Want of Reason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Certain Want of Reason

Alice
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
What I liked:
This book made me laugh out loud multiple times! So many hilarious situations and ridiculous banter back and forth- particularly between the "insane" hero and his servant, and also with Geoffrey.
Lucia had a commendable loyalty towards her siblings, given the difficult circumstances, and she truly loved them. Their relationship was really sweet.
The plot was fast-paced and this book is definitely a page-turner! I read over half of it last night.
The hero realizes the selfishness and de
Georgie
So this lord pretends to be mad in order to avoid hurting his mother's feelings by breaking his childhood engagement to a psychopathic bitch.... Uh huh. Given the zillions of Regency Romances that have been written, it's true, there are now very few original plots left. But possibly one of the reasons no one else has used this particular plot is because it's the loopiest, stupidest one left on the shelf.

But I know, I know - you don't read these things just for the plot - and indeed there are som
Michael Hartnett
A Maddeningly Fine Novel
A Certain Want of Reason by Kate Dolan is a witty and urbane novel set in early 19th Century England that is a worthy successor to Jane Austen’s bright works of arch romance. Our heroine Lucia Wright is trapped by the madness of her fantasist brother Geoffrey and her obsessive sister Helen. Both Geoffrey and Helen manifest their lunacies in delightfully humorous ways, the brother constantly hurling himself into awkward situations while the sister indulges in obtuse invest
Bethany Swafford
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lord Rutherford makes the rather rash decision that the only way to get out of an arranged marriage with a young lady he dislikes is to pretend to be mad. His antics brings him into Lucia Wright's sphere, a young lady who knows quite a lot about dealing with those who have 'a certain want of reason.'

I'm going to admit, this was hilarious. Lord Rutherford's actions as a 'mad' person mad me laugh out loud. The plot remains clean, going only so far as kisses.

The only thing that kept me from giving
Jo Notary
278p Blush: This is a suggestive romance (love scenes are not graphic). Lucia Wright needs a holiday. After years of caring for her "eccentric" younger brother and sister in the country, she accepts a friend's invitation to spend a few weeks enjoying the season in London only to find that life among the city's elite may be even crazier than at home.Lord Edmund Rutherford needs an escape. Sworn since childhood to a woman he cannot abide, he finds himself trapped by the strictures of society and t ...more
Jael
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a fun and easy read. The story seems over exaggerated at times but it makes the book more funny than annoying. Overall, it makes for a good laugh and if I have one complaint, it would be that for a book of such light-hearted nature, it's a little too long.

I can't really decide whether to give it 3/4 stars here on Goodreads. Let's just say it deserves 4 stars because I got it for free but it would get 3 if I had paid anything more than $0.99 for it.
Carrie
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2013, reviewed
I wanted a little more out of this book. It wasn't bad not by a long shot. I wanted more depth and detail I guess. The storyline was very interesting but in a way the story felt rushed because of not having the depth/details. In certain parts the story isn't very believable maybe that is why I'm not liking as much. Anyhow I would like to read the next book in the series.
Joan
Dnf. I lost interest after a while. The idea was good but the writing too wordy.
Tammy
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, but I think if Sarah Eden had written it, it would have been better.
Rachel
Oct 10, 2013 marked it as owned-to-read
*downloaded free from Ellora's Cave
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
aka K.D. Hays.

After coming east from Chicago to attend college at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC, Kate Dolan grew attached to the region and never moved back. She holds an interdisciplinary degree in English, history and drama and a law degree from the University of Richmond School of Law, and has written professionally for over ten years in a variety of fields. Currently liv
More about Kate Dolan...
“Impossible as it seemed, many of these older ladies, who never stirred from the house past sunset, had either not heard the tales of his behavior two nights ago or had not believed them.
The ones who did obviously has enough manners, or at least enough sense, to keep quiet in the presence of his mother. Had anyone said anything outright, his mother would probably have no qualms about asking the offender to choose a weapon and name her second.”
2 likes
“He collapsed into a chair bedecked with cushions. "Pillows love me," he sighed.” 1 likes