Start by marking “A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #2)

A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden #2)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  16,530 Ratings  ·  801 Reviews
When elderly spinster Jane Engle dies, Roe gets the shock of a lifetime. Jane has given Roe her house and more than half a million dollars. Although the two were both members of the Real Murders Club, they were hardly that close. Stunned, Rose arrives at her now home only to find it ransacked. Then, things take a turn for the macabre when she discovers a human skull clever ...more
Audio CD, Unabridged audio book
Published 2010 by Recorded Books Productions (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Bone to Pick, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sabrina According to IMDB, Barbara Wallace: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4012665/?r...

Cc
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The one thing that bothers me about this website is that everyone feels the need to add a synopsis of the book; I can easily find that elsewhere. My main purpose for using this website is to find books that might appeal to me and find out what other people's perceptions are of the book, not an exaggeratory 20 paragraph synopsis.

Now that I have that off my chest I can say that Charlaine Harris is one of the best, light and fun authors out there. I seem to find myself reading her books in the su

Julie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The second in the Teagarden series. I liked this as much as the first one. Laugh out loud moments. Very fast paced. I didn't have a clue who did the deed.
Many things changed since the first book. Especially in Roe's love life. (I was disappointed a little by that) Then Roe finds out she was included in a friend's will. She's ecstatic until she makes a gruesome discovery.
Many quirky characters, some implausible conversations and events, but I don't think cozy mysteries should be analyzed too clo
Dagny
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harris-charlaine
A fun read! With most of the the main characters already introduced, I enjoyed this one more than the first book in the series. There were several pages to catch us up on Roe's life since the end of the first book and then it was right on to the mystery.
Melissa
Sep 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this one. A murder mystery where the heroine never tries to investigate anything? I listened to the audiobook version, and I swear nothing happened on discs 2-4. Disc 1 was exciting as she found a skull in a house, and then the rest of the skeleton was unearthed. Then nothing happened. (She thought a lot about her new inheritance and decided to quit her job, she started dating someone new and spent a lot of time picking out outfits for their 2 dates, she shopped for a bride ...more
Monica **can't read fast enough**
After reading A Bone to Pick, I am sure that I just do not like Aurora as a character and this series as a whole. Aurora is self centered and annoying. The actual story is a bit boring and doesn't make me want to continue the series at all, it just came off as a bland story that seems to be written for little old women who could possibly be offended by the real world and people of color. This series feels like it is written for a very conservative homogeneous audience. The two mentions of black ...more
Tatiana
Like some reviewers have mentioned, Aurora Teagarden Mysteries are not actually mysteries. Rather, these books are about Roe's life, with a little bit of a mystery thrown in, mostly in the end of the books. I personally didn't mind that. Charlaine Harris has that special talent of describing everyday life of an ordinary person (in this case, Aurora's) and lives and gossip of a small town in a very entertaining manner. Although this series lacks uniqueness of the supernatural world described in t ...more
Gail
Mar 22, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aurora Teagarden is a lousy librarian and an irritating girl-woman. The mystery was good but she's so very irritating with her dating agita and less than humor-filled life. I know the reviewers say that these are full of humor but I don't see it. There's a level of seriousness at odds with the shallowness of the heroine.

The first 50 pages were hopeful as she mourns the death of an acquaintance and as she finds out this woman leaves her house with an amazing amount of money and a mystery in the f
Richard Denney
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a 3.5 for me. I like the Aurora Teagarden series and I will likely read the rest of the series. It's not the best cozy series but it's fun and suspenseful. This series is more for starter cozy mystery readers because of how easy and breezy it is. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I really like Charlaine Harris's writing and I especially love her Harper Connelly series. Before you even think of reading this one go read book 1 "Real Murders". :)
Jim
About the same as the first, maybe a shade better. It's a mystery. A little romance, but mostly a fluff book. For some reason, I find them very engaging, though. Off to read the next.
Barbara ★
Honestly I can't see why this is listed as a cozy mystery. There is absolutely no investigation by Aurora Teagarden. She finds a skull and re-hides it and doesn't investigate a damn thing. Oh she asks herself questions but doesn't actually ask anyone else anything. The book just plods along her boring little life and the murderer reveals himself in the last chapter. Aurora didn't actually have a darn thing to do with it. Definitely not a series I'd continue.
Kim
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series. They are easy reads with likable characters that I can listen to while knitting and stationary biking without dropping a stitch or falling off the bike. :)
Kelly-Marie
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I love this series and the fact there's separate murders per book with different killers! Really great read love the language and even some funny phrases used throughout the book. Could not fault it, its brilliant. I'd take these novels over the television show anytime.
Nancy Ellis
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book! Just an entertaining story, nothing too serious, lighthearted and fun.....even the murder. It probably helps that we never meet the victim, just his skull! I found myself laughing out loud in several parts of the story. Aurora is a riot, always managing to find a boyfriend, not quite managing a husband.....yet!
C-shaw
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Roe Teagarden! 4-1/2 stars. This is such a pleasant series, and the story line in this one was especially intriguing. This series should be read in order.
Grace
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've never listened to an audiobook before, but my mum loves them, so thought I'd give this a go. It's a very different experience, but the major issues I had with this book were plot-related, so I don't think listening on audiobook affected my rating too much.

Aurora inherits a house and a giant bank account from her friend Jane, and then gets caught up in intrigue and suspense and whatever. Both boyfriends from Book 1 are out of the picture, and an Episcopalian contender comes in from left fiel
Jonathan
Wow, another great book in Charlaine Harris's Aurora Teagarden Mystery series. In A Bone to Pick Roe finds herself the heir to a large estate, and unfortunately that estate comes with a human skull. Roe finds herself wondering who the skull belongs to and why it was in her seemingly harmless friend's house.

I really like the characters in this series, Roe is balanced and reminds me of the librarians in my town. Roe has a new love interest, Aubrey, who I hope we see more of in future books. He's a
Meli
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy ameno y entretenido.
Algunos puntos son predecibles (miren mis updates si no me creen ;) ), pero no los principales, al igual que el primer libro logró confundirme y tomarme por sorpresa.
Amo la naturalidad de Harris para escribir y lo poco que llevo leído de esta serie me está gustado mucho.
Maren
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was okay. I didn't feel like much a tually happened until the last couple of chapters.
Linda C
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
When an elderly friend, Jane, passes away, Aurora “Roe” Teagarden is surprised to be left her house and estate. Roe finds herself wealthy and independent. However, when she goes to the house with the lawyer, they find it has been broken into but nothing is missing. Based on the way the house was searched for something she guesses at the size of the unknown object and eventually locates it in a carpeted window seat. A human skull. But who was it and why did Jane have it. Was she a murderer? Roe t ...more
Cait S
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
The farther into this book I got, the more I realized I hate Aurora Teagarden. If she's not the most arrogant, self centered jerk, I'm Oprah Winfrey. She's just absolutely unlikable from Page 1 on. I don't remember this from the first book, maybe I blocked it, maybe the author was going through some stuff when she wrote this one but either way... Wow. What a horrendous person Roe turns out to be.
Erin
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Though I enjoyed the sweet brain candy this book provided, I felt like the end wrapped up a little too quickly and neatly. It was unsolved mystery all the way through, and then boom, last couple of chapters there's the reveal and an unbelievable confession and a tidy little wrap up. I wouldn't discourage others from reading it. It was still fun, but the ending left me wanting.
Elyse
What a fun book! I breezed through it, it was very exciting. But I was soooo disappointed that the murder club was still disbanded. I thought it would be back on after the events finished in the first book. At least in the movie version they continued meeting. Jane Engle, a member of Real Murders, passes away and leaves Roe with a real mystery! And a ton of money! I enjoyed this book. The movie only gave 2 years for a body to become a skeleton. I Googled it, 8-12 years. Good job, Hallmark channe ...more
Ruth
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had seen the movie version of the 2nd Aurora Teagarden Mystery but I still loved it. The elderly woman who left her house and money to Aurora also left a secret that Aurora has to solve without getting herself killed!
Suzan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, Aurora is getting a little braver and more self-confident. Looking forward to the next book!
Diane Vallere
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I already love this series and this is only book 2!
Amy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are the best mysteries! I never know who the culprit is until the very end! They are entertaining and totally cute! Can’t wait to read the third one!
Heather Gilbert
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Fun read. I haven't read book 1 yet, but that wasn't an issue. I *loved* the hilarious detail with the cat in this one. Will be reading more Aurora Teagarden mysteries.
Ifigenia
I remember that I like a lot of Real Murders, I enjoy this refreshing plot of an awkward group of people discussing famous murders. Unfortunately, a bone to pick, could not cope with my expectations. Where I was waiting to find mystery not so many pages dedicated to the love life of Aurora, who can not make up her mind in all the whole book. It doesn't matter that she is dating with one man, no, she is keeping the doors opening in case that another interesting man appears or reappear again in he ...more
Karen Anderson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Still more of the odd focus and disdain for women, preoccupation with getting married.
Mystery book with no investigation. And solved in the last 50 pages.
Jeff Cothern
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Death comes calling on a small-town librarian whose life is passing her by.

Aurora "Roe" Teagarden's fortunes change when a deceased acquaintance names her as heir to a rather substantial estate, including money, jewelry, and a house complete with a skull hidden in a window seat. Roe concludes that the elderly women has purposely left her a murder to solve. So she must identify the victim and figure out which one of her new, ordinary-seeming neighbors is a murderer-without putting herself in

Play Book Tag: A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris 3 stars 1 7 May 15, 2017 07:37AM
  • The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)
  • No Rest for the Wiccan (A Bewitching Mystery, #4)
  • Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Most Frothy (Coffeehouse Mystery, #4)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Chapter and Hearse (Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • The Lies That Bind (Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #2)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)
“.. what she had was hers absolutely, not to be touched by other hands without proper permission being asked and granted.” 7 likes
“No one would ever like him; he would never be accused of being unfair.” 5 likes