Start by marking “Some Kind of Wonderful” as Want to Read:

Read eBook* *Different edition

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  2,079 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
"Abandoned Baby Found"

It's the kind of story investigative reporter Matt Winters writes about - not the kind he wants to be living. When he discovers a newborn baby girl on his doorstep, he panics...then he desperately turns to his temptingly pretty neighbor Caitlyn Devereaux for help. After all, women are supposed to know everything about babies!

Caitlyn's natural sensuali

Published February 11th 2011 by Barbara Freethy (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Some Kind of Wonderful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Kind of Wonderful

Limau Nipis
Ok, I have been stalling. This is only my 2nd read by Barbara Freethy after the wonderful Just the Way You Are.

I have to spend days to finish this book. Sometimes I wonder whether this book is stuck at the 90s era - well, I imagine a fixed phone set, women with big hairdo (you get the idea). Even though at one point of time, the hero, Matt, used a cellphone - but still, the story feels old.

This book lacks the punch. Seriously.

It just had to have a baby to make to book going forward. I feel reall
Cindy Vine
I have to be up-front here, I am not the target audience for this genre. I seldom read love stories as I find them predictable and cheesy. However, after reading a whole lot of legal thrillers and psychological thrillers I decided I needed to read something completely different, something to make me feel good about the world. I can't quite remember how I came upon Some kind of wonderful, but I'm glad I did. It is well-written with great realistic characters. The story is pretty good as well and ...more
Cindie
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some Kind of Wonderful was just that. I loved every page and will read this story over and over again. I fell in love with Barbara Freethy's writing style a year ago and each story just grabs my heart more than the last. If you haven't given her books a try yet, get started with this one!
Janeiowa
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very heart-warming story of people who care about family and looking for happiness.

The characters are very likeable and believable and the storyline flows well.

Cristina
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars

Matt Winters, un periodista de investigación quien se ha mudado recientemente a San Francisco, la ciudad en la que nació y vivió hasta la adolescencia, regresa a su apartamento una noche como de costumbre. Cansado y viviendo una rutina de soltero, se sorprende al encontrar a un bebé llorando frente a su puerta. Sin saber qué hacer y al borde del pánico recurre a la ayuda que tiene a mano, su vecina Caitlyn a quien nunca ha visto.

Caitlyn aún no se ha recobrado de las heridas físicas y ps
Alex
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Hello and Welcome to another free form review. This time I'm talking about Some Kind of Wonderful by Barbara Freethy. It tells the story of Matt Winters an investigative reporter that moved back to the San Francisco area where he grew up in hopes of finding his younger sister Sarah, whom he hasn't seen since they were split up as kids in foster care.

After a few weeks he hasn't made much progress, until the night he finds a baby in the hallway of his apartment building. In a panic he knocks on h
Joanne
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
what can i say? It is a lite and easy read, without too much surprise or any of the "wow" factor. Its a simple love story, its romance, iits real. What i wasn't expected is how well written this book to be without having it to be a cheesy romance. Although, as 99.9% romance books goes, the happy ever after ending is pretty much predicted from the word read. This book can consider one of Freethy's better work. However, nothing out standing from it.
Heather
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Kind of schizo story line -- ordinary, inoffensive romance plot about a wedding dress designer, reporter, and cute baby, meets somewhat more histrionic plot about a life altering accident and a controlling mother, meets completely over-the-top plot about postpartum depression, a sketchy preacher-romance, and an arsonist angel.
Cheryl
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. It may be a hard read for anyone that struggles with infertility, but it's a beautifl story of.coming together as a family. I was hopimg there was a sequel when I reached.the end!
Natasha Ybarra
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Matt is an investigative reporter that did not have a very good childhood. He was torn away from his younger sister at the age of 16 and thrown into the foster care system because his mother had too many mental issues to be a mother. Years later he is living in a no children allowed apartment building when there is a strange phone call where the caller only says his name very quietly "Matt..."
Not long later Matt hears a baby crying in the hallway. He this he is dreaming and opens his door and s
Nancy
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Abby
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
**Received a copy in exchange for an honest review.**

"Some Kind of Wonderful" is written by Barbara Freethy, and it is a stand-alone book. It features Matt Winters and Caitlyn Devereaux.

Matt received a surprise on his doorsteps... a baby girl named Emily. Who's baby girl is this? Matt is panicking and thinking maybe Emily is his neighbor's daughter.

Caitlyn is trying to meet a deadline. She's finishing up a client's wedding gown, but when her neighbor is knocking on her door looking helpless with
Becky
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some Kind of Wonderful

Some Kind of Wonderful is a wonderful story! The story of opposites who are attracted to each other. Matt is a hard-core newspaper reporter. Caitlyn is a dreamy wedding dress designer and shop owner. Matt and Caitlyn are neighbors in an apartment building, but have never met. That is never met until a baby is left on Matt’s doorstep and he is desperate for help. Matt demands that Caitlyn help him in the care of his long-lost sister’s child. Ms. Freethy has written a well-de
Ellen White
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL by Barbara Freethy
Matt has the need for closure, wanting answers, the key to being a reporter, time off made him reckless. 72 hours without sleep, home and sleep;a noise out in hall and it's a baby in a car seat. Who left, he lives in apartment building, and didn't want to deal with this now. Caitlyn next door helps with the baby, didn't know her or that she had a bridal shop. One smile from the baby and Caitlyn heart melts. A note, the name Sarah, a lost sister of Matt's,
Mindy
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the story about an investigative reporter, Matt Winters, and wedding dress designer, Caitlyn Devereaux. While these two live across the hall in their apartment building, they've never met. Until a baby shows up at Matt's doorstep one night and he doesn't know what to do!

I read this story a few years ago and just went back and read it again. I'd forgotten a lot of the details between the characters. Turns out, I loved the story just as much the second time around! I would recommend this b
Marybeth Lapilla
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great one

As I started this book I thought that it would have to many different storylines. The more I read the more confused I got. But then all of a sudden it was all drawn together. I hated putting it down , I could not wait to see what would happen next. Each story was good but the sum of all of then was great.
The story combined romance, mystery and a little of God's work in there, too.
I wish there wasn't going to be a sequel to Some Kind Of Wonderful.
Jennie Fortna
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL by Barbara Freethy is a stand-alone book that’s about a baby showing up at Matt’s door with a note that the baby belongs to his long lost sister, Sarah.

Matt enlists the help of his neighbor Caitlyn to help with the baby until they can find his sister. Along the way, Matt and Caitlyn’s feelings begin to grow into something they didn’t expect and for the baby.

Will these two find their HEA???
Tiffany Hall
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this read by Barbara Freethy so much! A great story line and characters that caught my attention right off and had me not wanting to stop reading until it was over, and even then I hated to see it end!
Cindy Pearson
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an awesome book ....with lots of intriguing moments. I just wanted to turn to the back to see what happened.
Norma
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a well-written book with good characters. Freethy is a good writer and tells a really good story. It just wasn't a story for my tastes.
Deanna
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Another fun book from Barbara Freethy with great characters. It great way to spend a dinner night reading a light and easy story.
Mary
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun, easy read!

Not unpredictable but still a fun ride! Enjoyed the characters and the writing style. May look up other books by this author!
Karen Whooley
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-fun
I loved this book. Couldn't put it down. A wonderful story of loss and love and building a new life.
Mary
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Barbara always writes with real life in mind. This book has all the emotions. I laughed and cried. It was sweet and it had drama. I couldn't put it down. It was very captivating.
Kaitlin
Finish Time: 4-5 nights. As you can see in my book update post, I’m juggling a few books right now. I had finished Elizabeth Street prior to starting this one and needed something much shorter and lighter. Looking back, I apparently pick a lot of this author’s books, and didn’t even realize it until now. I think this is the first for the blog though. She writes a mean description that always ropes me in!

This one is the story of single-reporter Matt. Raised in a broken family and estranged from h
Lavinia
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I hate this kind of books. Sometimes I think they are far, far away from what I call reality, where everything is, of course, not like in the movies. But this is what I dont like about movies as well, you just cant see the details. Now, on the other side, I started reading this book just because it was free on amazon and I was trying to see if I can read on my kindle. I read few pages then I stopped: not another fairy book!!

Well, somehow yesterday I started reading it again. I was
Cathleen
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Some Kind of Wonderful’ by Barbara Freethy is a good, solid contemporary romance. Both the heroine and hero are well developed characters who become acquainted through the help of a crying baby. The baby was left in the hallway outside the apartment of the hero, Matt. The baby’s mother, Sarah, is the long lost sister of Matt. Matt and Sarah were separated after a fire started in the apartment they lived in with their mother.

When Matt hears a baby crying and opens his door to find a baby there
Susan Shearer
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had never read anything by Freethy before, but would definitely recommend this book!!! This was a book I could not put down!!!
The main characters are three (3) people and yet there are some that 'pass' through the story. You meet Matt Winters...a news reporter. A no nonsense, dedicated man. Then his neighbor across the hall a wedding dress designer (well not at the moment, but in her past) who is a meek, reserved, cautious women, Caitlin Devereaux. They meet thanks to a precious baby named Emi
Heather
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a definite 3.75-4 stars for me. I was drawn in from the very start. The main characters have to deal with their own forms of loss, love and inner demons. Caitlyn is a likable character who has kept her most significant loss a secret until she is forced by love and trust to reveal it. Matt is a sensitive, caring man who has been haunted by his past. Together this couple is wonderful. I loved the honesty that they had with each other. Baby Emily was an interesting way to bring them togeth ...more
Lucy (why do I bother to read chicklit)
I was a bit surprised with this book. I expected a mushy romance and I got a bit more than that. Matt and Caitlyn story starts when he finds a baby in the his flat's corridor and assumes it's hers. This is how two unlikely characters are brought together and what it seems- at first - to be a romance becames a thriller as they embarque on a search for the baby's mother. It only helps that, as the novel progresses, both Caitlyn & Matt have a troublesome past and therefore are not the normal, p ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 18, 2017 01:03PM
  • Take A Deep Breath
  • Maybe Fate
  • Riversong (River Valley, #1)
  • Mrs. Lieutenant: A Women's Friendship Novel
  • Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)
  • Kisses to Remember
  • Mad About You
  • Tainted Morals
  • Love & The Goddess
  • The New Deputy in Town (Whitehorse Montana, #2)
  • Sweet Water
  • Don't Tempt Me (Pearl Island Trilogy, #3)
  • Sand Dollar: A Story of Undying Love
  • What goes around comes around (Lily's Story #1)
  • Cafe du Jour
  • Baking Bree
  • The Memory of You (Return to Redemption, #0.5)
  • Wildest Dreams
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara was traditionally publishe
More about Barbara Freethy...
“It's not your imagination. I hear it, too." Another shriek made Matt pause. "I'll talk to you later." He put the phone down and walked to the door. The only other tenant on this side of the L-shaped building was a single woman he had yet to meet. He opened the door, but there was no one there. Actually, there” 1 likes
“Okay, just be quiet for a second, would you?" He squatted down next to the baby and patted the baby's head, which only seemed to make him -- or was that her -- more angry.” 1 likes