Start by marking “100 Jolts: Shockingly Short Stories” as Want to Read:
100 Jolts: Shockingly Short Stories

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

100 Jolts: Shockingly Short Stories

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Released as a paperback in 2004 this ground-breaking collection is considered by many to be a pioneering work in the flash fiction movement. It broke publishing barriers to micro-fiction, inspired many authors, has been adapted to film and audio, and was also a finalist for the Bram Stoker Award. The expanded hardcover edition contains “Aftershocks,” a battery of newly add ...more
Published April 30th 2004 by Raw Dog Screaming Press (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Jolts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Jolts

Rich
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, micro-prose
Single author flash collections are either rare, or from the small press, so that they're hard to get a hold of. There are more than a couple of excuses for this, but I'll limit myself to one. Collections of poetry has been, with notable exceptions, the work of the academic press -- places like Carnigie Mellon Press or the University of Pittsburgh Press, just to name two. Poetry doesn't sell well these days. You can't build snappy marketing slogans around a book of poetry, and a collection of mi ...more
Scott Emerson
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Simply put, the best single-author collection of flash fiction I've ever read. (Gee, qualify much?) Michael Arnzen remains one of my favorite genre practitioners and 100 JOLTS is a prime representative of his strengths, a cross-section of surrealism, experimentalism, pitch-black humor, pop culture deconstruction, and wickedly clever wordplay.

More impressive than the volume of stories is the fact that just about every one is a winner; highlights include "Obictionary," a deceptively playful tribu
Craig
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a very nice collection of 100 very short horror stories. There was a big fuss made over the notion of labeling them as "flash" stories because of their length, but I didn't see anything different with these than Harlan Ellison did with MIND FIELDS almost twenty years ago, or what Fredric Brown did with his short-short stories back in the 1950s. Anyway, the current book is quite well done. The stories are very, very densely written, and several of them felt more like poetry than prose. I ...more
Mike Mehalek
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Michael Arnzen's 100 Jolts is a must for all readers and writers alike. Arnzen uses the language to create beautiful images that are sometime funny, sometimes sad, often gross, and always original. Stories can be enjoyed at the surface or you can delve deeper to find more meaning. At only a few hundred words a piece (or much less in some cases), this is remarkable. It shows us that horror writing can be tight and poignant and literary despite the "bad rap" that horror often gets.

The only way thi
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who don't have a lot of time, horror fans
100 whip-smart stories that will horrify, amuse and gross you out. This book is great for people who only have time to read for short bits but it gives a lot of food for thought. Arnzen comes up with one crazy idea after the next from vignettes to complete stories in a couple pages or less. My favorites include "Stabbing for Dummies" a great self-help piece and "Skull Fragments", 13 inter-related pieces about skulls.

Note: I edited this book
TK421
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
I love flash fiction...if done properly. For the most part, these stories lacked the needed oomph to make me feel something about the story. Sure there was the shock element; but shock gets old if there is not anything else to accompany it. Gary Braunbeck declares that "Arnzen can rightfully claim his place as the Donald Barthelme of horror." I don't see it. For me, this collection is nowhere near the caliber of Barthelme.

Erica
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I first read this in my Horror Fiction class... I love it! Truly, Arnzen is the master of horror flash fiction! Short, sweet and to the point! Oh and slightly disturbing.. but I like disturbing...
Screamingbutterfly
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of horror and flash
Great collection of 100 pieces of horror flash fiction. Quality flash fiction is very difficult to write, but Arnzen succeeds, most of the time.
Deana
Feb 01, 2011 is currently reading it
Dr. Arnzen is not only a great teacher but he is also a wicked author. He is my inspiration for why i write with the style i do now. One brillant mind to another....we're both brilliant!
Meaghan
Meh. Many of these stories were quite good, I suppose, but horror fiction has never been my thing. If you do like horror stories, you will probably like these.
John Lawson
Feb 16, 2008
Amy
Apr 19, 2009
Michael
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: flash fiction lovers
William Pauley III
Sep 21, 2011
Jeremy
Jul 04, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Arnzen has won multiple awards for his fiction, including four Bram Stoker Awards and the International Horror Guild Award. He teaches horror and suspense writing at Seton Hill University, as faculty in their unique MFA degree program in Writing Popular Fiction.

To catch up with Arnzen or hunt down collectable editions, visit the author's website, GORELETS.COM and sign up for his award-winn
More about Michael A. Arnzen...