Start by marking “The Truth about Celia Frost” as Want to Read:
The Truth about Celia Frost

The Truth about Celia Frost

Celia Frost is a friendless, freaky kid because of a disorder that leaves her in constant fear of bleeding to death. However, when she's the victim of a knife attack, Celia realizes that her life has been based on a lie.
Published August 1st 2011 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Truth about Celia Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth about Celia Frost

rachel
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book sounded exciting and different, and I'd been wanting to read it for a few months. When I finally found it in my hands, I am sad to say it was nothing but a disappointment.
The logical place to start is probably the writing style. It was patronising and unengaging, almost an insult to the reader. And yet, the whole way through the book what is niggling and frustrating the reader is what IS the truth about Celia Frost. You may think 'but surely, that is what Rawsthorne was aiming to do'.
Landon
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Truth About Celia Frost grabbed my attention even after reading the synopsis. Once I cracked it open, I was definitely pulled in from beginning to end. What I liked about this book the most was the whole concept. I've read a couple books like this before, and even though I've heard about this illness before, I haven't actually read any books about it. Rawsthorne certainly did a great job with the main idea: it's unique, very clever and well-researched.
Sanjana Radhakrishna
the truth about celia frost is really a nice book for dos who lOOOve mystery and suspense i rated it liked cuzz mystery and suspense is really not my thing i like romance better but am sure all mystery lovers r gonna fall in luv wid dis book!!
Amy
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british
I decided to pick up The Truth about Celia Frost as it sounded really different to most YA's & I haven't read anything like this for a long time... I'm interested in books which involve illnesses/disorders for some strange reason and this book captured my attention when it mentioned that Celia has lived her life in fear of a rare disorder which could kill her... just after the slightest cut. I wondered what risks she'd encounter & how her blood wouldn't clot... I was just very intrigued ...more
Amy (Turn the Page)
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at Mostly Reading YA

I think it's actually best to go into this story without knowing too much. There are several twists that I can honestly say I didn't see coming. The truth about who Celia Frost really is and what her mother is keeping from her is a mystery that will compel readers from page one. I read this through in one sitting and found it a nice change from the usual paranormal, fantasy or contemporary romances I tend to gravitate towards.

The Truth About Celia Fro
Emma
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come. Surprisingly full of wonderful music references woven into the narrative which was brilliant. A rollercoaster of twists and truns, plus a thought provoking central plot.
Your curious now arent you :D

Firstly just let me say WOW this book was nothing like I was expecting, it is completely action packed with incredible twists and turns that you just do not see coming.

Although I will admit it is easy to figure out the 'bad' guy in this story the motivation and callousness were
Kai
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review posted at Amaterasu Reads

Celia has haemophilia. I initially thought it was just that, that the story will revolve around a girl who was growing up and has finally decided she will live the way she wants to, that she wouldn't let her sickness control her, but I learned that The Truth About Celia Frost is much more than that.

This book made me do a lot of guessing. Maybe it has a paranormal edge to it? Or perhaps a mythological connection? But no, it came down to life and death, of science
Cicely
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
If I could say only one thing about The Truth About Celia Frost, it would be that I have honestly never read a book like it before. It has a brilliantly unique plot and concept, and I couldn't see half the twists coming. Just the whole idea of the book is so incredibly different and kind of refreshing. The only problem with it, though, is that anything I say might spoil the book. And we wouldn't want that now, would we!

Celia is a great character. She's spent her whole life thinking she has this
Serendipity Reviews
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From the first cut that Celia experiences, you know that something just doesn't quite ring true with her supposed condition. You have absolutely no idea what might be going on and why she has to be treated with kid gloves, you just know that the story her mother is telling her is just not true. As a reader, you begin to feel rather uneasy when Celia's mother appears; is she a sufferer of Munchhausen By Proxy??

After the rather stressful incident, Janice reacts in the same way she always does and
The Book Review Library

This book sounded differant and interesting, so I really wanted to read it!

I wasn't dissapointed at all with it. I didn't know what to expect, and what I found was a book full of excitement that was tense and had me gripped from the start. I couldn't wait to get to the end and find out anwers to all the questions that I had throughout the book. Fortunatly, all the things I had been wondering about were explained.

Although this book definately wasn't confusing, it was one of those books where as I
Helen F
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am really impressed with Paula Rawsthorne's books. I recently read Blood Tracks, as it is shortlisted for the Leeds Book Awards which I have been involved in at work, and I thought it was great for a YA Crime Thriller book. As we have now been given the opportunity to meet the author in a couple of weeks I thought I would read this one too and it hasn't let me down. She has a way of writing that really just draws you in and makes you have empathy for her characters. I really liked the relation ...more
Renita D'Silva
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My daughter read this book and loved it. It's one of her favorites and she asked(cajoled) all of us - her brother, her dad and me - to read it. I'm glad I did. It is absolutely brilliant. An intriguing mystery, beautifully written. I loved Celia and Sol and even warmed to Frankie in the end. This wonderful read is populated with many twists and turns to keep the reader engrossed. I honestly did not guess the truth about Celia Frost until the author gently nudged me toward it. A fabulous read. Hi ...more
shainitiate
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first book I have ever read in english (I usually read in spanish), and I have to say that it was incredibly easy to read and that I enjoyed it a lot.
The plot is really interesting, kinda predictable at some points, but I liked it.
I didn't LOVE Celia, but I liked all the other characters.
(SPOILER): Also I liked that there wasn't a fast love story. I like how Celia and Sol ended up being just friends, but you know that something will happen between them in the future.

So yep, 3 out o
Hibatoallah Samal
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a really cool idea, really creative. The characters were not a cliche and I really could relate very well with them. I really enjoyed reading this book, very well written and has an easy flow to it.
Chloe Hollis
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Couldn’t put it down.
I love reading thrillers and mysteries and this didn’t disappoint. At first finding out about Celia’s blood disorder I thought she might have been HIV positive or something and that’s why her mum was so paranoid but I was way off.
Great read. Would recommend this book to anyone
Elvina
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was quite good, and it was quite a mystery or sad story in my opinion :)
Lizzy
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I was surprised! Always nice when something twists when your not expecting it.
Daniella
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a really good, slightly sad book. I highly recommend it.
Garrett
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Bella (Cheezyfeet Books)
I really enjoyed reading The Truth About Celia Frost. It was different to anything I'd ever read before and it was a nice change from all the paranormal and romances that are popular right now. The story was unique and exciting, and the characters were fun to read about.
I really like how Celia was only 14. I felt that I could relate to her because she is my age, and rarely are there young adult titles that feature a main character who is so young. This means that there was little (basically no)
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Review originally posted at Fluttering Butterflies

I found the Truth About Celia Frost by Paula Rawsthorne to be a very interesting story. Aimed at a younger audience than what I'd normally read, but still absolutely gripping and addictive reading that will make you think.

Celia Frost is a 14 year old girl with an unusual problem - she has a rare blood condition that means that she could possibly die from any small cut. Living alone with her mom, it has been drummed into Celia for as long as she c
Vicky
Original review: http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.co.uk/...

The Truth About Celia Frost is without a doubt one of those books that grabbed my attention even after reading the synopsis. I don’t know why but I seem to like books where the main character has some sort of an illness – whether it’s a contemporary novel with a more emotional approach or a paranormal/thriller one with an element of mystery. Celia Frost belongs to the latter category. I had high expectations for this one and although it di
Celia Frost has a rare blood disorder and the smallest cut could cause her to bleed to death. She has spent her whole life being treated as a freak by fellow students and trying to avoid any kind of injury. When a bully takes things too far and Celia ends up in hospital after a knife attack everything changes. Celia realises that her mum has been keeping secrets from her but why? What is it that has her mother so scared that she insists they run?

I have to admit that I was scared to read this one
Imi Godwin
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Truth about Celia Frost is utterly captivating, It traps you within its pages and won't let you go until you have read it cover-to-cover. It is the story of a girl named Celia, she lives with her Mum Janice. Celia is sick, she has a rare blood disorder which means if she has the tiniest cut: the cut will never close, and she could bleed to death. She is also sick of the solitude her disorder brings her. She endures terrible bullying at school: universally known as 'Freak'. Meanwhile, Janice ...more
Kirsty
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Paula's debut novel is absolutely amazing. I read this book in a matter of hours and loved every page. It is a cleverly sophisticated, fast paced and engaging thriller which had more twists and turns than you can shake a stick at. I was hooked from page one and couldn't bear to put it down as I needed to know what happened next. It was an utter pleasure to read and I can't wait to see what Paula writes next.

Celia Frost is a young girl who has spent her entire life living in a bubble. She has be
Susan Mann
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Truth About Celia Frost is a book, like no other book I have read before. It is something different, compelling and a thrilling read. It will leave you guessing and full of surprises. The author's Paula Rawsthorne's writing is mesmerising and a joy to read. Her imagery in the book creates the perfect back drop, you can feel you are actually there. I was unable to put this down.

The beginning of the book hooks the reader from the start and you are unable to let go. Celia is a great main chara
dani! ❀
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A solidly good book that kept me reasonably interested. It had it's moments of genius, but I can't say I was ever completely absorbed by this book, hence the four stars. It was pretty good though, if a little predictable.

Within the first twenty pages of this I felt like I already had everything figured out--in fact, I did, at least the basic gist of what was going on. Disappointingly, a bit more than a third of the way through, I'd pretty much figured out everything. There were aspects that I ob
Andy
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very gripping story which kept me interested all the way through. The characters were all great but the character that stood out the most was Janice i couldn't help but admire her and how she cared so much for Celia even though Celia began to hate her Janice never stopped loving her she carried Celia's secret and did everything she could to protect her she might not have always been right in the decisions she made she may have lied to keep Celia from the truth but with the kind of Burden she h ...more
Michelle
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
A fast moving teen novel, with lots of twists and turns that should appeal to girls 12+. Celia is different - her blood won't clot. Her over protective mother makes sure all the schools she attends know teh dangers posed to Celia, and as the single parent family frequently move, Celia finds herself lonely and isolated - and bullied. The book starts off quickly with a bullying incident, and then gets straight into the conundrum - what really is Celia's problem? Is her mother telling her the truth ...more
SJ
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This book started off absolutely great. Young girl with blood disorder gets cut by bully, but instead of dying... Nothing happens. At all. As a result, the main character has no choice but to call into question whether what her overly protective single reclusive mom has been telling her for all these years. In the early pages you have no idea if her mom is a nut job, or if there is more to our main character than meets the eye. It made for a great page turner, with enough action to keep me at it ...more
  • Angel's Fury
  • Zelah Green (Zelah Green #1)
  • Wasted
  • The Opposite of Amber
  • One Seriously Messed-Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite (Jack Samsonite, #1)
  • Kidnap in the Caribbean (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #2)
  • Jessie Hearts NYC (Hearts Series, #1)
  • Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery
  • Being Billy
  • A Dream of Lights
  • Prisoner of the Inquisition
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • Pretty Bad Things
  • Kiss, Date, Love, Hate
  • griEVE
  • Unrest
  • Velvet
  • Hidden (Hayling Cycle, #1)
Paula Rawsthorne is one of the winners of the Undiscovered Voices 2010 competition and the 2004 winner of the BBC’s ‘Get Writing’ competition. Her comedy THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT was read by Bill Nighy on BBC Radio 4 and chosen for Pick of the Week. Her unsettling story IN ATTENDENCE was published by Route in an anthology of contemporary fiction called IDEAS ABOVE OUR STATION (reviewed in The Guard ...more